• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta 2023-2024 Jackson Hole Resort/Conditions/Meetups

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
I haven't seen a thread on this area yet this season, so here goes.

Conditions have been improving all week, and more and more of the classic lines like Tower Three, Alta chutes, and Expert Chutes opened in the last few days. Fingers crossed for an epic week starting after MLK Day in JHMR!

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Subscribing. Will be there March 11 & 12. 9th and 10th at Targhee.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Seems like there's been an improving pattern in a lot of the west... nothing big here, but some nice regularly recurring snow...

1705152292408.png

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've been asked to start these in the past....the distant past.
Well its about time you got on it! Cheers!!

And FWIW, I do think it makes sense for Jackson and Targhee (maybe even Snow King) to have its own discussion.

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Was hoping for snow off and on all this upcoming week ahead of a drying pattern and a ski trip to JH next weekend. One of the models even started hinting to a decent storm on Saturday into Sunday.

Now the chances of any snow keep diminishing and El Nino looks to be back. Hopefully conditions are really good in lieu of any powder.

Vampire Cat

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm going midweek this week for a couple of days. I'm hoping that if the snow is as minimal as the forecast seems to suggest that at least there's decent visibility so I can get a feel for the place for future visits.

TS
SpikeDog

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Skied JH for three days last week. Tuesday was a cruiser day, Wed was maybe 3-5" of powder, and Thursday was the money shot (officially 11"). Unfortunately, the lifts were on hold for 2 hours in the morning for avy mitigation as I stood in line for the tram. First run was the tram - Rendezvous Bowl - Hobacks, and damn that was good. All but the Casper Bowl/Sheridan Bowl shots, Saratoga Bowl, and of course Corbet's Couloir was closed. I think it's become an annual tradition to keep Corbet's closed until the Kings/Queens event is held.

Hope your week goes well, Vampire Cat.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Q: Will we be bored with the rest of the mountain after doing Corbet's a couple of times?

Haha J.K. - Really now, looking for help on dining options in Jackson
- Best Pizza?
- Best burgers?
- Best Mexican?
- Any other worthy mentions?

What have you? thanks in advance.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Q: Will we be bored with the rest of the mountain after doing Corbet's a couple of times?

- Best Pizza?
- Best burgers?
- Best Mexican?

I don't know about "best" anything and didn't eat too many places. But I liked Liberty Burger in town, and the Alpenhof in the village.

Trip report:

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier

- Best Pizza?
- Best burgers?
- Best Mexican?

Not really in your categories, but I like The Bistro in town and Il Villaggio Osteria at the mountain base (they do have (upscale) pizza).

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

- Best Pizza?
- Best burgers?
- Best Mexican?

It's been a minute for me, but if you're looking for a classy dining experience, I'll say The Wort Hotel. Cool place. And I've had some great food and dining experiences at The Gun Barrel. Again, it's been awhile.

Best Pizza?! Holy crap, every single person I know has their own definition of "best" pizza!

Given that, I've heard that Hand Fired Pizza in town is great, but no firsthand experience.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier

- Best Pizza?
- Best burgers?
- Best Mexican?

Where are you staying? Town, Aspens, Village? Teton Thai at the Village is very good. Persephone bakery in town or in the Aspens is very good for breakfast and lunch. Calico Restaurant near the Aspens has good food.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the suggestions!

Staying in town. I realize 'best' is subjective. For sure with pizza - all over the map. But hey, this is SkiTalk.
Persephone and Liberty burger are both on my list.

I like looking at user photos on Google maps and can mostly predict if I will like a restaurant by seeing photos of the food. Hand Fired Pizza looks promising, as does the Bistro and Gun Barrel.

Kinda funny story: Sept 2022, we visited Yellowstone and the Tetons. We were traveling with a friend and they wanted to take us out for a nice meal. Supposed to have great prime rib at the Million Dollar Bar. We go to the restaurant and no prime rib. Our friend asks and the waitress said it's not on the menu, maybe we were thinking of the Silver Dollar Bar? LOL our friend got mixed up and took us to the wrong restaurant. Million Dollar, Silver Dollar... whatever.

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Also, for what I consider pretty high-end dining, I'd be remiss in not giving at least a mention to The Blue Lion. I haven't eaten there in forever, but it was started aeons ago by a ski bum sorta-kinda-buddy of mine. No idea if Ned is still involved, as that was back in 1980 and 81.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This visit will be part of our Welcome to Retirement Epic Ski Trip (epic as in legendary, not Epic(TM) :cool: )

We have Mountain Collective passes, will be driving place to place, staying in modest accommodations, partaking in delicious hotel free breakfasts, and brown bagging lunches. This will leave room in the budget for dining out for supper.

The planning thread is here. Once we head out, I will start a trip report thread.
https://www.skitalk.com/threads/2024-ski-road-trip-planning.32131/

Thanks for the tips!

TS
SpikeDog

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Double down on Persephone Bakery in town. Their quiche and breakfast salad is superb, so good that I've never tried anything else on their menu. The Wort is pretty cool if you like a western vibe, and they often have live bands. Bubba's has great St. Louise ribs (that's their menu's spelling). Sidewinders is a cool place, more of a sports bar theme.

Congrats on retirement, teejaywhy.

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bubba's has great St. Louise ribs

Again, it's been a minute, but what is the deal with Bubba's?!

Food is simple and SO good, but has always been served to me warm-ish at best.

N = 3, to TIFWIW.

Great Bubba's story from awhile back: Arnold and Maria walk in. Maria approaches the hostess and asks for a table. She is told the wait is X minutes. She says "we don't wait for tables", to which the hostess replies "then you don't eat at Bubba's".

TS
SpikeDog

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
I probably know which waitress it was who said that.

Bubba's was great when they were in the old blue building by Wendy's. It lost some of it's charm when it moved across the street, but the old building was pretty hammered. I have no issues with their food, but some of the good stuff like the salad buffet didn't survive the pandemic.

Sponsor

Staff online