• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Sibhusky

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
How far north?

I'm taking six months off work starting March 15th. Really considering some sort of Whitefish / Fernie / Castle Mountain / Silver Star / Sun Peaks loop around Montana and Interior B.C., but I'm wondering if my dates are too late.
I said that because OP already had tickets. If you don't, late season is usually better at higher elevations or way north. If you believe in the El Niño influence, you'll look at the higher Colorado elevations. We used to be favored by his sister, but not really the last few seasons, all sub-normal.

I seriously don't see them opening on time here at the moment. (But, they've pulled it off in the past. Definitely will be download situation, maybe with tree-dodging on the groomers.)

rustypouch

Getting on the lift
Skier
What skis should I bring to Banff for my trip this week? It’s been a dry couple of days and not much is open yet, but I know I’ll still have fun.

Options are 76mm frontside oriented skis, 84mm all mountain skis (new to me) or 90mm all mountain skis (they generally like the conditions at Banff but maybe I want something narrower if it’s going to be mostly hardpack?).
Frontside.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
I'm taking six months off work starting March 15th. Really considering some sort of Whitefish / Fernie / Castle Mountain / Silver Star / Sun Peaks loop around Montana and Interior B.C., but I'm wondering if my dates are too late.

2 seasons ago closing day at whitefish was probably the best powder day(top 3 for sure) of the season. Spring corn is pretty fun there too.

PlainsSkier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Going to Banff next week, excited to see that the last storm cycle was good for Sunshine and Lake Louise.

Back from Banff, it was a fantastic way to get the ski season started. The scenery alone makes any trip there worth it but the decent snow and balmy temps made it even better. Louise skied really well, most runs I skied had a decent coverage, sure the expert stuff isn't quite there but with over 100 runs open there was more than enough to keep me happy.

20231217_110315.jpg

It did snow off and on my first day there, I think Sunshine and Louise ended up with 4-5 inches total which softened up things at both mountains nicely. Had some soft powdery turns skiing down the top of Lookout mountain.... 1703131114584.png
Was definitely sad that Goat's Eye opened up the day I left but I will admit the coverage up there looked more than bit rocky, so it probably saved my skis some pain.

Norquay was much firmer and lacking in snow, only ended up skiing a half day there. I was there for the opening of the Mystic chair, they opened some runs with sketchy coverage it was kind of a powder tease since it was snow that had sat there for a while thinly covering obstacles. I did a few runs and then went back to the firm groomers. I also did one run down the Norquay chair, interesting terrain up there but not nearly enough snow to make it fun. The view though was worth the some of the pain going down. 20231216_110005.jpg

Stayed at the Elk+Avenue which was a solid hotel with a hot tub and the Ikon rate really makes staying at Banff a steal if you have a pass. It is right in the middle of Banff, loved the shuttles and not having to deal with a car rental as well. It makes Banff a very easy trip. I also made a stop at the Pulse Boot Lab, Jesse there was great at helping me get fit for some new boots. He was very knowledgeable and I think for the first time I am skiing in proper boots. The exchange rate also helps making things easier on my wallet.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
I see Schweitzer got a foot and Silver 9”. Any reports?
Here is a handy link that covers the Inland Northwest areas except Schweitzer.

musicmatters

Getting on the lift
Skier
Anyone have a report on Sun Valley conditions? I have my first trip there scheduled Feb 1-5. It is currently only showing 20% of the runs open. I am concerned that there isn’t much snow in the forcast between now and then to get much more open. Im wondering if I should go somewhere else and try for Sun Valley next year?

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
PXL_20240112_172949235.jpg

Not sure which geographic region Terry Peak fits in, but as it's less than 10 miles from the WY border, I'll put it here. Skied it Friday in -23f real temp. Just happened to be in the area for work. They closed on Saturday due to forecasted -30. Honestly, other than my fingertips freezing, it was pretty awesome. Decent coverage, no crowds. Just a fun mid-sized mountain. The Couer Wharf area was closed and it looked like they were blowing a lot of snow there. My decision to forego the Indypass this year because of their bullying is costing me though. $120 day with walk up ticket and rentals.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
View attachment 221666

Not sure which geographic region Terry Peak fits in, but as it's less than 10 miles from the WY border, I'll put it here. Skied it Friday in -23f real temp. Just happened to be in the area for work. They closed on Saturday due to forecasted -30. Honestly, other than my fingertips freezing, it was pretty awesome. Decent coverage, no crowds. Just a fun mid-sized mountain. The Couer Wharf area was closed and it looked like they were blowing a lot of snow there. My decision to forego the Indypass this year because of their bullying is costing me though. $120 day with walk up ticket and rentals.
Terry Peak is a fun ski area. If you are going across I-90 it is worth a day, just to say you have skied SD. Think it is the largest in South Dakota and a rather unusual layout with 2 base areas. Got to ski it a couple of days while working in Gillette, WY. They got pretty proud of the tickets compared to what they were though.

Edd

Putting on skis
Skier
Hitting Silver Mountain / Fernie / Whitefish over the next two weeks flying from the east. Usually it's an easy decision to bring pow skis out west but, looking at snowpack as well as recent and current weather I'm trying to decide between my old Kore 93s and even older Rossi Soul 7s. Any on-the-hill knowledge or opinions here? I'd prefer the Souls but certainly not on hardpack.

TS
Sibhusky

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
The last few days I've been using K2 iKonics, 84xti with two layers of metal. But.. Snow is on the way. I think it'll be supportive snow, not cold smoke.

Just know that our base is hard as a rock. Yeah we had a brief period of fluff, but it's been soaked down now. So, underneath is something needing an edge.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
Silver's snowpack is in pretty bad shape. On Tuesday, the Lift 2 runs that were groomed within the past 36 hours were very nice, except at the very bottom where the rocks poked through. The rest of the mountain was exceptionally thin. Worse than late April/early May in recent years. But they have snow in the forecast, so depending on when you come through you might be fine. Or it might be worth heading up to Lookout instead--the extra elevation should definitely help.

SnowbirdDevotee

Putting on skis
Skier
Hitting Silver Mountain / Fernie / Whitefish over the next two weeks flying from the east.
I'm East too, but am wondering why your going out of way for Silver? Silver would be Spokane with Schweitzer? I'm heading to Silverton in 30 min's from Pa. Atmospheric river has a bullseye on today!!! One day heli, one day guided then hopefully Telluride if I can get through Million Dollar Highway. Spokane/Kalispell/Durango - those are the places to fly to in this era of crowds. Goodbye Utah/Front Range it was nice knowning and skiing ya!

Edd

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm East too, but am wondering why your going out of way for Silver? Silver would be Spokane with Schweitzer? I'm heading to Silverton in 30 min's from Pa. Atmospheric river has a bullseye on today!!! One day heli, one day guided then hopefully Telluride if I can get through Million Dollar Highway. Spokane/Kalispell/Durango - those are the places to fly to in this era of crowds. Goodbye Utah/Front Range it was nice knowning and skiing ya!
Silver is Indy Pass, not a terrible drive from Spokane. Never been to any of the three. We’ll have to pay for the other two.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
hey folks - I'll be making my one and only N. hemisphere ski trip this year to Fernie and ILL - and it's been a minute - I need a ski-leg tune up at Fernie to make sure I remember how . . .

I'll be there March 6th. Shameless grovel: would love an Epic buddy pass or ski w/ friend (if Fernie even offers those?). Also anybody there that day, coffee/beers/lunch on me for a mtn tour. Been living down under surfing - it's just skiing liquid water! ;) and missed Japan this year soooooo yeah. Going to be interesting diving in the deep end at ILL on 1 ski day this season!

Sponsor

Staff online