• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2022-2023 Mammoth Mountain Ski Resort/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Evidently I didn't experience MMI in their glory days.
Well, MY glory days anyway ;).

I did stay a night there early season a few years ago & it was pretty basic but never experienced anything like you describe in your last post.
I was going to stay there my last visit in June but I couldn’t justify the cost! Now I’m really glad I did not :geek:.

Am I correct that it is slated for demolition & a rebuild? My issue with that is that it will probably be $400 a night & fully booked :huh:.

Last edited:

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah, that sounds Dog-awful, Tricia.

I think they've tentatively scheduled the demo next off-season, but don't quote me on that. And pretty sure you're right, 4ster: expensive and hard to get. To be expected though, for its prime location - if in fact it's a true quality operation with a good restaurant/bar (Westin equivalent?), I certainly will be tempted.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well, MY glory days anyway ;).

I did stay a night there early season a few years ago & it was pretty basic but never experienced anything like you describe in your last post.
I was going to stay there my last visit in June but I couldn’t justify the cost! Now I’m really glad I did not :geek:.

Am I correct that it is slated for demolition & a rebuild? My issue with that is that it will probably be $400 a night & fully booked :huh:.
I don't spend a ton on lodging because I need to pay for lodging so frequently, I need to be conservative, but if I were to pay $400 for slopeside accomodations and they were actually nice....Ya know.

I don't want to be sold something that isn't at all what they portray.
When you see pics on their website, none of their rooms look like what we paid for. I think it was $150.00/night.
@Wendy had a similar experience to ours when she stayed there last year. I think she likened it to a run down military baracks.

Last time we stayed in Mammoth, it was for an industry demo and we got an industry deal all in for 390.00/night for a two bedroom suite at juniper Springs. That was very nice. And it was worth it for a two bedroom that we shared with someone.

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don't spend a ton on lodging because I need to pay for lodging so frequently, I need to be conservative, but if I were to pay $400 for slopeside accomodations and they were actually nice....Ya know.

I don't want to be sold something that isn't at all what they portray.
When you see pics on their website, none of their rooms look like what we paid for. I think it was $150.00/night.
@Wendy had a similar experience to ours when she stayed there last year. I think she likened it to a run down military baracks.

Last time we stayed in Mammoth, it was for an industry demo and we got an industry deal all in for 390.00/night for a two bedroom suite at juniper Springs. That was very nice. And it was worth it for a two bedroom that we shared with someone.
Now now, it's not as bad as some of the run down barracks i was in lol. Id rate it as a mid-tier barracks (usmc)

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks to me like its the line out of the gondola building at the base with Broadway lift terminal in the background
I linked to a different picture that showed the overhang roof of a hotel circle (which I think is Juniper Springs) being propped off since it was damaged this winter. The one Speedy Kevin posted.

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
Not quite... there's still lift served at Timberline. Per their website:

"The projected last day for skiing and snowboarding is August 13th."

So they're using the glacier to go one week longer than Mammoth.
I heard about that, and current conditions there.

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
Once when we stayed there we were greeted at the front desk to check in, and told that the wifi was extra $$.
I pulled up their website where one of the immenities was wifi. The desk girl said, " Oh we have wifi but you have to pay extra for it."
We begrudginly paid, then went through the garage to a dark hallway with flickering fourescent lights(something out of a bad movie) and smelled of mold. When we got to our room, the lighting was horrible, the window didn't lock. The curtains were in bad repair and there were stains on the carpet.
When hooking up to wifi, the signal was horrible, AND only one of us could use it at a time without paying for a second wifi connection.

I've been told that the wifi thing is not a thing anymore. Better signal and free with the room but...
Definitely sounds like one of the out buildings as that is where the parking garage is located. That decrepit place is something alright....(also where my foot went through the stairs)

The best room we ever had was located in the main building (check-in building). Had modern decor/furniture/carpet AND a microwave! (without having to ask for one). But it was an ADA room....so they probably had other incentives to make it nice....

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier

We finished our last run on Cornice at 840ish but before calling it a day, we weighed whether we wanted to do another run. Couldn't see the 23 line from where we were....but I feel like we made the right call :D The snow though was getting nice and soft on cornice left so....some lingering regrets still.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have always loved staying in the main building of MMI. We always asked for a king bed room and had great views and great service. It is not as fancy as the Westin or JS but it will always hold fond memories for us. BTW … the main building was always nicer than the yodler building or the out buildings. The rebuild will be a whole new Mammoth era … a village where the current hotel and parking lots are. Onwards and upwards.

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
Last edited by a moderator:

skiace84

Putting on skis
Skier
Between Bluesaplooza and skiing final days today and Sunday I'd predict a major CF.
You got that right. Friday was great; 3+ hours of quality skiing with lift lines of no more than 15-20 people. Saturday I bailed before 9AM after 5 Cornice runs with the chair 23 line at 10 minutes and building fast.

Bluesapalooza Friday night was great too. But there was usually a line of 15 people or so for the port-a-potties. I wonder how that worked out over the weekend with unlimited beer tasting.:geek:

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What a season...truly remarkable season for Mammoth Mtn and one that will live in memory forever! I had some all-time days there and one of my best days in the last decade at high tide in March/April. I'll never forget how the houses were all swallowed up and it was like a cartoon from Dr Seuss or something. Feel luck to have been a part of it and just have grown to appreciate Mammoth as an iconic ski mtn in North America.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online