• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2021-2022 Colorado Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
New lift in Bergman Bowl at Keystone may not be finished this year due to unauthorized road construction in a fragile area. See https://www.vaildaily.com/news/fore...ystone-due-to-unauthorized-road-construction/ which includes "Vail Resorts said the misunderstanding occurred as a result of its construction team mistaking an area that was supposed to have minimal construction for an area where temporary construction activities were approved."

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
The local FS District doesn't mess around with screwing up tundra -- and rightfully so. Just another Vail Fail.

TS
mikel

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^yep and a big fail at that.

On a positive note. I'm sure others got the email from A Basin today but I will share. Yep, they went there before we got to August. 55 days for their snowmaking to start ... hopefully. I know I'm stoked.

Does this qualify for starting the 22/23 Colorado thread? :ogbiggrin:

1659038673059.png

James

Out There
Instructor
It’s bad luck to start talking about the next season too early.
Plenty of southern hemisphere talk.

BTaylor

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Skier
The Colorado Sun has an article with a bit more information on Keystone's big screw-up in Bergman Bowl.

Vail immediately hired a restoration firm to develop a remediation proposal for the damage done by the excessive road work in the alpine, and the US Forest Service expects to review the situation this coming week. Vail's contractor apprently buried a section of an alpine stream in road plow debris. Inexcusable.

Work Halted in Bergman Bowl

I haven't skied Keystone for the past several years, even though it's not far from me in Breck. However I did their cat tour ($200+) five years ago to Independence Bowl and Bergman Bowl. I look forward to easier/cheaper access to 3 of Keystone's off-piste bowls---Bergman, Independence, Erickson---that this development will eventually create. Once the tundra screwup is resolved...

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm surprised there is no mention of Vail being fined. I think a hefty fine is appropriate in addition to mitigation costs.
I'm guessing they will since, in addition to being in hot water with the USFS, any disposal of dredge or fill material into waters of the US, which this stream and adjacent wetlands almost certainly are, requires a Section 404 permit from the US Corps of Engineers. Such disposal without a permit often has expensive consequences. That said, rather than paying a fine or penalty into the black hole that is our government, I'd prefer the USFS and Corps instead direct Vail to invest an amount equal to what would have been the fine/penalty into something constructive, like habitat improvement, etc.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That said, rather than paying a fine or penalty into the black hole that is our government, I'd prefer the USFS and Corps instead direct Vail to invest an amount equal to what would have been the fine/penalty into something constructive, like habitat improvement, etc.
Love that! There must be an endless list of local FS projects that need funding.

BTaylor

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Skier
In an update today (Aug 4), Keystone acknowledges that restoration of the damage in the high alpine will prevent completion of the Bergman lift for the upcoming ski season. USFS has approved Vail's restoration proposal, but will now require a supplemental environmental review that will be performed simultaneous to the restoration.

Completion of Bergman Lift will be delayed until (at least) 2023-24 Ski Season

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
“We are grateful for the U.S. Forest Service’s partnership throughout our work together on this project,” Sorensen said. “We greatly respect their expertise and look forward to working together on both the restoration plan and the supplemental environmental review…”

Written 100 times on the blackboard?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
“We are grateful for the U.S. Forest Service’s partnership throughout our work together on this project,” Sorensen said. “We greatly respect their expertise and look forward to working together on both the restoration plan and the supplemental environmental review…”

Written 100 times on the blackboard?
1660918038437.png

James

Out There
Instructor
Fallout is more than one delay-

—————-
On Tuesday, Vail Town Council member Pete Seibert Jr., son of Vail founder Pete Seibert, cited the fish kill and the Bergman Bowl setback in voting to suspend Vail Resorts’ permits in the company’s ongoing effort to construct high-density housing on bighorn sheep habitat in East Vail.

Seibert had previously supported Vail Resorts’ development efforts in East Vail by acquiescing the company’s request to vote against condemning the project.

But Seibert reversed course on Tuesday, saying “I’m not so sure it is responsible to leave things to Vail at this time.”
————————-

TS
mikel

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think I will follow @textrovert lead and post a "palete cleanser" of sorts. ogsmile

One can only hope the title is accurate

and speaking of the summer coming to an end so did the winter stoke summer camps at Copper. Last days

IMG_1277.JPG

Last edited:

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online