• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2019-2020 Colorado Weather and Stoke (and beer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I used the opensummit website to view the smoke overlays on the map west of Denver. It turned out there was a lot of variation close to Denver, and thus the smoke maps are really useful: the difference between too much smoke to tolerate all the way to very light smoke not half an hour away. Thanks, @SBrown .

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A Basin sent another email, this time to get me as a senior over 70 to get a season pass, price good until September 10. (I actually got it for $149, I believe, months ago.) In this email, they are promising to open this season, various possible plans at the ready, depending on current state requirements.

Discounted passes
Now is the time to secure your 2020-21 A-Basin senior season pass before prices increase! The pass is just $199 through September 10.

Your A-Basin senior pass has no blackout dates, comes with all of our great benefits, and is available to anyone who is 70 years of age or older at the time of purchase.

We understand if you’re not able to re-up this season, but we’d love to see you. If you’re ready, get your senior pass now to save money and get excited for the next ski and ride season!
BUY NOW
As the only ski area in Colorado to reopen for skiing and riding in spring 2020 following the lifting of the state’s stay-at-home order, we are confident that we will operate for the 2020-21 season and are preparing for multiple scenarios to welcome you back to our mountain. Our A-Basin Pass Promise is in place should external circumstances change.

Read up on what our COO, Alan Henceroth, has to say about the upcoming ski season here.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^ sounds like a really good deal. I stuck with Loveland. The 130 day guarantee sounded good to me. I see A Basin is mentioning the only place to reopen. It's not like others didn't try. They did. And technically Copper reopened for training and have been open for park lessons and camp during the summer.

Last edited:

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Nice. Loveland is almost always a good plan. (Heavens, hope I get to go there this season, roughly about as much as to A Basin.)

Well, but bottom line, if you're not a racer, A Basin was the only place to re-open for regular Joes - their season passholders, Ikon passholders, and a smattering of day ticket folk. I gather that they are saying they will at least be doing this again this year or better, if anybody can.

And this time they will probably have a plan that includes limited access to food and their ski shop. (Outdoor foot carts? Controlled access to indoors? Dunno.)

I got an old guy senior pass at Loveland too - senior pass rates, after all. But Loveland pretty much freaked out at even uphill access last season, let alone lift access. Same with Copper and Winter Park, only more so: Loveland at least tried re-opening to uphill access, for a day or two.)

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Nice. Loveland is almost always a good plan. (Heavens, hope I get to go there this season, roughly about as much as to A Basin.)

Well, but bottom line, if you're not a racer, A Basin was the only place to re-open for regular Joes - their season passholders, Ikon passholders, and a smattering of day ticket folk. I gather that they are saying they will at least be doing this again this year or better, if anybody can.

And this time they will probably have a plan that includes limited access to food and their ski shop. (Outdoor foot carts? Controlled access to indoors? Dunno.)

I got an old guy senior pass at Loveland too - senior pass rates, after all. But Loveland pretty much freaked out at even uphill access last season, let alone lift access. Same with Copper and Winter Park, only more so: Loveland at least tried re-opening to uphill access, for a day or two.)

Ok, your fault. :ogbiggrin: I caved and bought a 5 day pass for A Basin :beercheer:

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
"Ski areas working out protocols for season; one exec expects continued virus impact."

I've tried to post a link to this article in the Denver Post: It wouldn't take, so I posted a cut and paste. I'm told that needs to be smaller sections, not the full article. The reason I wanted to post it is that it contains very specific details in the current thinking of both the Alterra and the Aspen/Snowmass head honchos, details that to me are troubling, and seem to make a mess of social distancing, if that proves important.
To quote from the article:

The question of what to do about chairlifts and gondolas is more complicated.

A letter that Loveland ski area managers sent to their database two weeks ago said chairlift capacities will be decreased and “only related parties will be permitted to load together.”

Alterra and Aspen Snow-mass officials aren’t sure that’s necessary.

“We’re becoming more convinced, based on the data that we see and the scientific evidence that we’re collecting, that with a mask, people loading together is likely sufficient mitigation to reduce contagion to an acceptable level,” Gregory said. “That’s the direction we’re headed. That would allow people who don’t know each other, who aren’t family members or part of the same cohort, to occupy the same lift for two reasons: the masks, and the very short duration of chairlift rides. And, the fact that it’s out in the environment and the wind that’s inherent to a lift that’s moving, even on a calm day.”

Kaplan seems to be leaning the same way for Aspen Snowmass, which is comprised of four mountains: Aspen, Aspen Highlands, Buttermilk and Snowmass.

“We’re going to work with the industry and see where we end up, based on the research that’s being done at an industry level,” Kaplan said. “Most chairlifts are way less than 15 minutes and most are less than 10, absent a stop. We’re talking about spreading people out in lift lines. How do you do that, and maintain that?”

Gondolas have other issues because they are enclosed spaces. It may be necessary to keep gondola windows open, Gregory said, but ski areas can’t put attendants in every gondola car to make sure people keep their masks on.

“We’re leaning toward the fact that gondolas can operate as well with people who don’t know one another,” Gregory said, “but we’re not as far along on our thinking there as we are with chairlifts.”

One problem here, to me, is that a single chair ride might be short, 10 to 15 minutes, but the run down is often even shorter, less than half that. So more than half, probably 2/3rds at least, of the total time skiing will probably be spent on those lifts w/o social distancing, just face masks. This is not what Loveland and A Basin have been considering, seems like.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
“We’re becoming more convinced, based on the data that we see and the scientific evidence that we’re collecting, that with a mask, people loading together is likely sufficient mitigation to reduce contagion to an acceptable level,” Gregory said. “That’s the direction we’re headed. That would allow people who don’t know each other, who aren’t family members or part of the same cohort, to occupy the same lift for two reasons: the masks, and the very short duration of chairlift rides. And, the fact that it’s out in the environment and the wind that’s inherent to a lift that’s moving, even on a calm day.”

IMO the resorts should not start the season by loading chairs/gondolas above 50% capacity unless all are in the same 'party.' I get that theoretically masks + movement of the chair should do the job, but that only works if the chair doesn't stop moving and everyone on the chair believes in using masks.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
IMO the resorts should not start the season by loading chairs/gondolas above 50% capacity unless all are in the same 'party.' I get that theoretically masks + movement of the chair should do the job, but that only works if the chair doesn't stop moving and everyone on the chair believes in using masks.
Agree. Better to be a little conservative and keep the wheels turning through the season than jackrabbit out of the gate and have to shut down again like some universities did.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Agree. Better to be a little conservative and keep the wheels turning through the season than jackrabbit out of the gate and have to shut down again like some universities did.

Yes, and I also think the crowded lifts will be easy for the media to point at and pressure a shutdown even if there is no conclusive evidence.

If cases get low enough or rapid testing is available, sure, let everyone breathe on each other. But don't start the season that way.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
:roflmao:

Sorry, that is directed at Open Snow not you. I saw this and immediately thought about the article that @Tricia recently posted. Bryan Allegretto, California Snow Forecaster from Open Snow gives his take on long rang forecasts. :ogbiggrin:

from the article

"The track record for U.S. forecasters making accurate winter predictions is usually so bad, that here at OpenSnow we don't even attempt to publish an official forecast for the upcoming season."

I guess saying if it will be El Nino or La Nina is not a forecast :beercheer:

Last edited:

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
weather forecast for the season

Are there any good models out yet. I just got a email from opensnow. La Nina this year.

Could not Like it.

And so 2020 continues!

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As I posted in the "how will skiing be different" thread, I went hiking at Copper today, up to the Excellerator lift, halfway; the air was better finally. Fun.

Incidentally, I saw lots of employees in various places with masks down and not social distancing - especially packed in their new on slope breakfast/lunch restaurant beside the new summer roller coaster (whatever they call it), and in pairs driving around in their company trucks. They were also in such a cool hurry, very different than at Loveland and A Basin when I've hiked there: more impersonal, young and driven (as Shakespeare once wrote, "in their salad days, green in judgement, cold in blood"). These are part of the Alterra connected folk who at the top are maybe thinking of chair lifts (and even gondolas?) as safe for unrelated adults, since the ride is so short, as quoted in the article above. Convenient and good for their business plan, I gather, if not their common sense.

I usually ski four areas, Loveland, A Basin and the two Alterra areas, Copper and Winter Park. Like @coskigirl, I may well be thinking of A Basin and Loveland as refuge or back up this year.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
@ski otter 2 , is the on slope restaurant open to the public at this time? Were lifts operating for guests?

I see a lot of people that clearly work together but apart from the public eschewing masks; construction workers in particular. I don't know if it is company condoned or not. I did patronize a company last week where the owner (he also waited on me) stated he did not believe masks work and wasn't wearing one. All of this is in violation of town (Breck), county (Summit) and state (CO) health orders.

The fact that so many don't abide by the health orders is bad news for our local economy as sick people shouldn't work and if enough are sick, you can't run your business. I know most of us get that, but apparently some businesses and/or their employees don't seem to.

It is really going to be a crap shoot at the ski areas this winter. Considering that over half the cases of COVID-19 in Summit are visitors and most of our businesses rely on visitors, our workers need to be extra diligent to stay healthy.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Map - PurpleAir 2020-08-26 18-24-22.png

Wow, best air in days with the thunderstorms! I'm going to try to get out tonight and in the morning, as the air quality alert is through tomorrow afternoon so it could get bad again.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Measured 0.12" of rain at my weather station today. First measurable rain in weeks! I cant wait for the smoke to clear this is just insane. High temp yesterday 99.5ºF :geek: , 98ºF today :geek:. Hopefully tomorrow is the last time we see temps this hot in the city until next summer.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
I did patronize a company last week where the owner (he also waited on me) stated he did not believe masks work and wasn't wearing one. All of this is in violation of town (Breck), county (Summit) and state (CO) health orders.
How interesting. I wonder to what degree he realizes that he is not shooting himself in the foot. Instead, he is machine gunning himself in both feet. What political recourse will he and others like him have when the Governor shuts all the skiing down because of irresponsible behavior like this? (Answer: none)

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@ski otter 2 , is the on slope restaurant open to the public at this time? Were lifts operating for guests?

I see a lot of people that clearly work together but apart from the public eschewing masks; construction workers in particular. I don't know if it is company condoned or not. I did patronize a company last week where the owner (he also waited on me) stated he did not believe masks work and wasn't wearing one. All of this is in violation of town (Breck), county (Summit) and state (CO) health orders.

The fact that so many don't abide by the health orders is bad news for our local economy as sick people shouldn't work and if enough are sick, you can't run your business. I know most of us get that, but apparently some businesses and/or their employees don't seem to.

It is really going to be a crap shoot at the ski areas this winter. Considering that over half the cases of COVID-19 in Summit are visitors and most of our businesses rely on visitors, our workers need to be extra diligent to stay healthy.
Yeah, for example, construction workers, roofers, road workers, movers, tree trimmers, wholesale warehouses and stores that serve these industries, etc. Garages and body shop workers. (But not auto parts stores.) Many times when I have to go to these places, I see that lack of masks and distancing.

The slope restaurant I passed at about 9:30 a.m., very roughly; it was full of maybe two-thirds Copper employees and one third public, seemed like (Copper tee-shirts and common employee clothing/insignia on them) - open to the public. Farther inside I could see, but not as well. And it was crowded in there, whereas everywhere else that morning, and later in the afternoon, was pretty sparsely populated.

One lift to the far west was running, but I never saw anyone on it. The roller coaster was operating for guests already that a.m., and in the p.m. later - a steady but light stream, but on the mountain itself there was just the typical smattering of bike riders and hiker/runners - very few, and this in the most crowded, Central area. About the same as in other years, except for the roller coaster and on slope restaurant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online