• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparison Review 2018 Thumbnail Reviews: 90-100mm Twin Tips

dean_spirito

Freestyle Ski Coach
Skier
This year at SIA I was asked to test an assortment of park skis, 90-100mm twin tips. The weather at Copper Mountain was beautiful both days and the snow was absolutely perfect for testing.

Height: 5'11"
Weight: 160 lb fully dressed
Years skiing: 20+
Days per year: 125+
Home mountains: Copper Mountain, Arapahoe Basin, and Taos Ski Valley
Preferred terrain: Big mountain and park
Skiing style: Fast, aggressive, and jibby
Preferred ski characteristics: A ski that is poppy and playful, yet stable at high speeds in variable snow conditions. I love a ski with traditional camber, but I need something versatile enough to handle all the conditions the mountain may throw at me. I also spend just as much time skiing backward as I do forward, so a twin tip is preferred.
Boots: Lange RX 130 LV with custom footbeds

Armada B-Dog
Dimensions: 125-90-119
Radius: 19.5m@179cm
Sizes: 165, 172, 179
Size tested: 179cm
Design: Carryover

The brainchild of Armada team rider Phil Casabon, the B-Dog was designed specifically with his unique approach to park and urban skiing in mind. A rockered tip and tail are combined with camber underfoot to create a ski that can charge through variable snow yet hold an edge on hard pack. Innovative technologies like Armada’s Pop-Lite Core contribute to a very light ski that is incredibly poppy and lively. The B-Dog is just as much fun in the park as it is elsewhere on the mountain; its shape and unique flex pattern make it particularly fun in the bumps. Reinforced bases and edges also make for a ski that can take a beating. Like most Armadas I’ve skied, the B-Dogs boast solid construction.
  • Who is it for? A rather large audience: intermediates and experts alike will fall in love with the B-Dog for different reasons.
  • Who is it not for? Beginners and those who demand a stiff ski, as the B-Dog was designed with jibbers in mind.
  • Insider tip: Armada has developed into one of the most successful boutique companies in the industry because of its commitment to innovation, and the B-Dog is a reflection of that success.

Armada Edollo
Dimensions: 133-98-123
Radius: 20.5m@178cm
Sizes: 158, 168, 178, 188
Size tested: 178cm

Largely unchanged from last season, the Edollo is still one of the most progressive 90-99mm skis on the market. Designed by X Games gold medalist Henrik Harlaut, the Edollo is a reflection of his unique style on the mountain and in the streets. It combines a wood core with a carbon tip and tail to create a unique flex pattern that maximizes pop. This also contributes to a ski that is light enough to destroy jumps and rails, despite its 98mm waist. Henrik also designed a ski tip with pronounced rocker and just enough stiffness to allow for effortless nose butters, one of his signature tricks. It comes as no surprise that one of the most innovative skis available was created by one of the sport's most innovative athletes.
  • Who is it for? Advanced skiers who want a versatile ski that they can take anywhere on the mountain; park skiers with a very buttery style.
  • Who is it not for? Those who prefer a stiffer ski: the Edollo is definitely on the softer side.
  • Insider tip: Definitely one of the coolest topsheets around. If the look of your skis plays into your decision-making, be sure to check these out!

Faction Candide 1.0
Dimensions: 121-90-121
Radius: 18m@182cm
Sizes: 164, 170, 176, 182
Size tested: 182

When the greatest freeskier on the planet designs a ski, people should probably stop what they are doing and take notice. While many brands have moved away from fully symmetrical designs in order to appeal to larger audiences, Faction has figured out a way to combine the body of a traditional park ski with the soul of a big mountain ripper. The Candide 1.0 was the only symmetrical ski I tested this year, and it also happened to be the stiffest and most conducive to hard charging. Candide Thovex is probably one of the most aggressive freeskiers out there, and this ski is a perfect reflection of that style: incredibly stable at high speeds and burly enough to handle any size airs, whether in the park or backcountry.
  • Who is it for? Big mountain skiers and heavy, aggressive park riders.
  • Who is it not for? Beginners and intermediates skiing on piste: this is a stiff ski that demands a competent driver.
  • Insider tip: Symmetrical skis have a unique feel and can be difficult for traditional skiers to adjust to; don’t disregard this ski simply because of its shape, but realize it may take some getting used to.

Icelantic Nomad 95
Dimensions: 130-95-120
Radius: 19m@181cm
Sizes: 161, 171, 181, 191
Size tested: 181

Probably the most playful ski I tested this year, the Nomad 95 is designed for the skier who is constantly jumping and buttering around the mountain. I’ve literally never experienced a ski with so much flex in the tip and tail, and I have to say I really enjoyed it. Early rise combined with minimal camber contribute to a ski that is surfy and pivoty, yet surprisingly stable. You would expect a ski as soft as the Nomad 95 to simply fold when pushed to the limits, but no matter the speed on groomers, they stayed with me every step of the way. The poplar core makes them extremely light and gives them a great feel when spinning and flipping off jumps. I’m not sure that they would be the ideal choice for charging through crud or deep snow, but if you are looking for a jibby frontside ski that loves to play in the park, look no further.
  • Who is it for? Park rats and jibbers, lightweight skiers, and those who prefer a soft ski.
  • Who is it not for? Heavier skiers and those who prefer a stiff ski: the Nomad 95s are noodles.
  • Insider tip: This ski is going to be way too soft for a lot of skiers out there; it was definitely designed with butters and ollies in mind.

K2 Poacher
Dimensions: 124-96-118
Radius: 19m@177cm
Sizes: 163, 170, 177, 184, 191
Size tested: 177

K2 has attempted to simplify its lineup by reducing the park/freeride range down to just two skis, the Poacher and the Marksman. At 96 mm underfoot and weighing in at roughly 2000g a ski, the Poacher seems too big and heavy to be an effective park ski. Surprisingly, however, they hold up rather well to testing. They are certainly fun to carve around on groomed terrain, and I have no doubt that they charge off piste. Rocker in the tip and tail allows for effortless turn initiation, while camber underfoot delivers power and solid edgehold in firmer spots. Their weight and solid construction also make them feel particularly stable at high speeds. These characteristics translate very well in the park, as the Poacher provides a perfect platform for landing even the largest of airs. This ski has recently caught the attention of countless park skiers, and rightfully so.
  • Who is it for? Anyone looking to add a 90-something twin tip to their quiver; the Poacher is a versatile ski that is comfortable anywhere on the mountain.
  • Who is it not for? Beginners and smaller skiers: the high-density wood core and triaxial fiberglass braid make them heavy and torsionally stiff.
  • Insider tip: K2 designed the Poacher with durability in mind. The combination of rivets in the tip and tail and TwinTech sidewalls makes the topsheets more resistant to chipping and delamming.

Line Blend

Dimensions: 132-100-122
Radius: 21m@178cm
Sizes: 171, 178, 186
Size tested: 178

The Line Blend is a ski I’ve wanted to get on for a long time, and this year I finally got the chance. As its name suggests, it blends characteristics of a freestyle ski with those of an all-mountain ski. With a 100mm waist and early rise in the tip and tail, the Blend is just as at home in the park as it is slaying powder in the backcountry. It is nimble and playful without being overly soft. Although it is often described as a buttery ski, ideal for ollies and tail presses, the flex certainly doesn't compromise its stability on firmer snow.
  • Who is it for? Skiers looking to add a versatile midfat to their lineup; park rats looking for a wider ski to take off piste.
  • Who is it not for? Those who want an all-mountain ski that they can really lay over on groomers; the Blend likes to pivot and surf rather than lay over and carve.
  • Insider tip: The Blend could make for a great touring ski.

Line Chronic
Dimensions: 121-92-117
Radius: 19m@178cm
Sizes: 164, 171, 178, 185

The Chronic was designed by Line team rider LJ Strenio to be the most versatile park ski on the market. Although it has all the characteristics of a traditional park ski, it is far from a one-trick pony. The addition of early rise in the tip and tail not only allows for smooth spins off jumps, but also contributes to effortless turn initiation both on and off piste. The Chronic also has reinforced bases and edges to help withstand any abuse you may throw its way, whether sliding rails in the park or uncovering rocks in the backcountry.
  • Who is it for? Park rats looking for something that skis well in a variety of conditions; intermediate to advanced skiers interested in getting into the park.
  • Who is it not for? Beginners and those who prefer to keep their skis on the snow; this is a playful ski intended for jibbing.
  • Insider tip: The Chronic is one of the original freestyle skis, the preferred choice of countless pros.

Line Wallisch Pro
Dimensions: 117-90-112
Radius: 20.8m@178cm
Sizes: 157, 164, 171, 178
Design: All New

New for Line this year is the Wallisch pro model. Tom Wallisch, one of the most recognizable names in the freeski community, recently joined the Line team and designed a ski that he could take anywhere, from the mountain to the park to the streets. One of the more traditional park skis in Line's stable, the Wallisch incorporates innovative technologies that make it ideal for flipping, spinning, and sliding rails. Line’s patented Carbon Ollieband incorporates tip-to-tail carbon-fiber stringers that are vertically laminated into the core for more energy and pop. If you are looking for a playful ski with an ultralight swing weight, the Wallisch pro model might be for you.
  • Who is it for? Park rats looking for a ski that is super spinny and flippy; any intermediate or advanced skier who would like to transition into the park.
  • Who is it not for? Skiers who avoid the park.
  • Insider tip: If you are looking for a dedicated park ski, the Wallisch should be on your radar.

RNZ

aka Ski Kiwi
Skier
Nice reviews Dean. I would never have considered trying a "park ski" but now I'm intrigued to seek out a Faction 1.0 and get to know it

TS
dean_spirito

dean_spirito

Freestyle Ski Coach
Skier
Nice reviews Dean. I would never have considered trying a "park ski" but now I'm intrigued to seek out a Faction 1.0 and get to know it

Thanks! That is exactly why I wanted to write about this category. A lot of brands are creating "park skis" that are really designed with a much larger audience in mind. Almost all of the skis I tested this year were equally comfortable in the park, as they were elsewhere on the mountain. And because the roots of park skiing can be traced back to mogul skiing, you will find that a lot of the skis in this category are really great in the bumps! Let me know if you have any specific questions about the Candide 1.0. I've actually had a number of people come up to me asking about that ski specifically.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
TS
dean_spirito

dean_spirito

Freestyle Ski Coach
Skier
I know this ski is 106, so not in the 90-100 category, but did you happen to take a look at the K2 Marksman?
We've had a few questions about it at TN and I wondered what the crossover is from big mountain to park in this ski.
See Review from @SkiEssentials
http://www.skiessentials.com/Chairlift-Chat/2018-K2-Marksman-Ski-Review

Unfortunately, I did not have a chance to ski the Marksman. Perhaps next year I could also test some 100-110mm skis as well? I've personally found myself gravitating to a 105 lately as my daily driver. First the RMU Apostles and more recently the Movement Fly Catcher.

Sponsor

Staff online