• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2017 Brahma v Quattro 8.4Ti?

The Slarver

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I'm looking for a groomer/harder snow set of skis and can get a very good demo deal on either a 2017 Brahma 173 or a 2017 Quattro 8.4 Ti 174. I haven't skied either and won't be able to before I purchase. I ski in the Tahoe area, am 5'-9", 155 Ibs., advanced skier, and have an Enforcer 100 177, Black Crows Atris 184 and Armada JJ 185 in my quiver. Thoughts, recommendations, suggestions would be much appreciated, including if I should pass on these skis and be looking at other options. Thanks -

Eric

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I'm looking for a groomer/harder snow set of skis and can get a very good demo deal on either a 2017 Brahma 173 or a 2017 Quattro 8.4 Ti 174. I haven't skied either and won't be able to before I purchase. I ski in the Tahoe area, am 5'-9", 155 Ibs., advanced skier, and have an Enforcer 100 177, Black Crows Atris 184 and Armada JJ 185 in my quiver. Thoughts, recommendations, suggestions would be much appreciated, including if I should pass on these skis and be looking at other options. Thanks -

Eric

Hi, The Brahma is a great ski with a somewhat off trail bias, honestly I prefer wider waist skis of this type of design (off trail bias with tip rocker) like the Bonafide and since you have the Enforcer 100, which is an excellent daily driver for typical western day I might look at a more groomer oriented ski. I recently was looking for a more hard snow oriented ski and got the Head Monster 88's which O loved when I demoed them. The almost lack of tip rocker made them awesome on the groomers while still have really good performance off trail. I have no experience on the Quattro so I am sure others will chime in regarding that ski but it is obviously a more on piste oriented ski which is what I would lean towards if I had you quiver. Might be even worth to look at even narrower skis. You definitely have the off trail / all mountain and powder skis covered!

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
My guy demoed both at lake louise. Hated the Quattro but found the Brahma quite fun and took it out 2 different days. He's 5'8" 180lbs and an advanced skier and normally prefers volkls for reference.

TS
T

The Slarver

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
My guy demoed both at lake louise. Hated the Quattro but found the Brahma quite fun and took it out 2 different days. He's 5'8" 180lbs and an advanced skier and normally prefers volkls for reference.

Thanks - a few follow-up questions:

1) Which Quattro did he try?
2) Why did he hate it?
3) What did he like about the Brahma?
4) What Volkl (or other ski) does he normally ride?

Sierrajim

Ski Savant
Industry Insider
Given that you asked for a groomer/harder snow ski, I'm not sure the Brahma is the correct choice. It is an all mountain ski that is reasonably good for it's category on firmer snow but the category in general is not the greatest for that. Since you have plenty of stuff that skis mixed conditions well, it seems to me that a true frontside ski might be a better fit. Naturally, you don't have to get something really narrow like in the low 70's for example. However, a ski of that ilk might just put more fun into a groomer day than an 88 ish mm ski would. They are simply better at that job. One ski that stands out for someone that wants a wider carver (80mm) would be the Head Titan. If you do decide that what you want is a narrow all mountain ski, the Head Monster 83 & 88 both stand out among the non premiums and both outshine the Brahma on hard snow.

SJ

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
180 Brahma = 174cm Quattro. 173cm Brahams will feel entirely short. I your looking at groomer, hard snow ski go quattro. The only thing on the hard snow spectrum the 180cm Brahama will do better is bumps especially really coral reef like bumps.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Are you stuck on only these two skis? Any other good demos available in the length range of your other skis? As noted, the Brahma's ski a little short to begin with, 173 will feel really short, it's also not really covering a big gap in your quiver.

I have tried the Quattro 7.4 and 8.0 and they are fun skis, turn initiation is nearly automatic, but I slightly prefer the Head Titan and Volkl RTM. Zero experience with the Quattro 8.4, but it's length likely isn't too far off. Can you demo before buying? Any carving biased ski would be a nice addition to cover times of no new snow.

SkiSpeed

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hi, I have the Brahma's from last year, my second pair; based on your size and the description of your skiing, I think the 173 is not going to be enough board for you. I am 5'6"/155 lb. and ski the 180s; they are a great board off-piste for trees, chutes, steeps, and bumps (have skied them in UT, CO,VT, & Western Mass). They will cruise and be stable on groomers as well, but if you are looking for a rocket for the front-side, I would suggest considering skis w/a narrower waist than an 88, e.g. low-mid 70's. @Sierrajim's suggestions for other skis are excellent.

Sponsor

Staff online