• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2016 Skiing History Week and Hall of Fame Induction

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug, @SBrown and I are in Aspen this week to cover the Skiing History Week and Hall of Fame Induction.
You may have read Phil's article 2016 Skiing History Week and Hall of Fame Induction on the front page.
What do you want to see this week?
What questions do you want us to ask?

2016 inductees:
Genia Fuller
David Ingemie
Henry Kaiser
Chris Klug
Jim Martinson
Bob Salerno
Edgar Stern

List of events:
http://skihall.com
USSSHOF_Schedule_Mag_nobld.jpg

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
IMG_0814.JPG

Curtis Fong getting a pic of the ladies...Genia Fuller-Crews, Suzy Chaffee and Barbera Allen
IMG_0816.JPG

Genia Fuller-Crews, Chris Davenport and @Tricia
IMG_0823.JPG

All the Jerry Award winners
IMG_0827.JPG

Suzy Chaffee and yours truly.

James

Out There
Instructor
Pretty cool!
Why were there Jerry awards?

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
haha @ trekchick and the dav.
I've had a few photo ops with the Dav. Genia Fuller Crews and Suzy Chaffee are new photo opportunities. :D

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've had a few photo ops with the Dav. Genia Fuller Crews and Suzie Chaffee are new photo opportunities. :D

The Dav seems like an insanely cool and down to earth guy.

This would be me around him:
749956.png

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Dav seems like an insanely cool and down to earth guy.

This would be me around him:
749956.png
The funny thing is, he's so chill that you just feel like you're chatting with a friend.
Last year at SIA Copper Mountain Demos @SBrown @SkiNurse and I were getting set up with Kastle skis. Day said, "hold up, I want to take a run with you ladies.
So we did...
10841839_10152695223853785_6332746655011898561_o.jpg

After the run, he was being interviewed by a guy about the week and what his plans were. The guy was going to take a photo of him in front of the Kastle booth. Day said, "hey lets get my friends in the shot"
1014948_10155064995265018_4703793170568288708_o.jpg

But yeah, the initial feeling is.......I'm not worthy. He's just so chill, you forget that you're not worthy.

Last edited:

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd be interested in Chris Klug, his story is inspiring. As some of you may know organ donations have hit close to home for me with my young cousin unexpectedly becoming a donor (18 lives saved or drastically improved) and both my sister's mother-in-law (heart) and a friend (liver) being recipients. Chris is a true ambassador to the organ donor education initiative. My friend insists that he has picked up traits from his donor. I now imagine some older, conservative (socially, not politically) woman cussing like a sailor with her church friends as that's what my cousin would have done. Twenty-three and just getting her life together. Damn, I miss that girl.

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@coskigirl I'll be sure to reach out to Chris Klug. Definitely something that we should talk about.

James

Out There
Instructor
The funny thing is, he's so chill that you just feel like you're chatting with a friend.
Last year at SIA Copper Mountain Demos @SBrown @SkiNurse and I were getting set up with Kastle skis. Day said, "hold up, I want to take a run with you ladies.
So we did...
10841839_10152695223853785_6332746655011898561_o.jpg

After the run, he was being interviewed by a guy about the week and what his plans were. The guy was going to take a photo of him in front of the Kastle booth. Day said, "hey lets get my friends in the shot"
1014948_10155064995265018_4703793170568288708_o.jpg

But yeah, the initial feeling is.......I'm not worthy. He's just so chill, you forget that you're not worthy.
Very cute!
Everyone of you is a current or former Kastle owner too. He must have gotten a kick out of that.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
This thread is overflowing with WIN!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
One thing(of many things) that stands out with this crowd is the high energy of everyone here.
All ages and all backgrounds of skiing, everyone has the energy of a 10 year old.
Its obvious that some of these folks get together from time to time while others are having amazing reunions with friends of the past.

The first evening we were here, I brought up @Weems Westfeldt and how he's influenced my skiing. Genia and Bob lit up. Neither of them have seen him in some time and are eager to see him tonight! Heck its been a couple years since I've seen Weems and I'm eager to see him tonight!

@coskigirl I looked up some preliminary information on Chris Klug. I only knew a little of his story and am in awe of the things I've found in doing this research. WOW, what a story!

We're heading to the mountain in a few minutes with the plan of meeting up with a bunch of these legends and seeing if we can keep up with them.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thursday was a pretty big day.
  • Skiing with the Hall of Famers
  • Cocktail Hour
  • 2016 International Skiing History Association(ISHA) dinner and awards
  • Bogner Rooftop Freestyle Party
First Phil and I started the day skiing with a large group of people from the who's who list of skiers from the 70's and 80's such as Bob Salerno, to John Eaves, to Suzie Chaffee, to....Well, you get it. It was the kind of day that you knew it was time to stop skiing but you wanted to get one more run

During cocktail hour at the Limelight we bumped into a local friend who asked what we were in town for, so we explained and he said he had no idea. Meanwhile we're sitting in an area of the lounge with a group of amazing skiers from the 60's 70's and 80's, some of whom were the first to do [insert spectacular move here]
I realized that there were people walking by this table, not realizing that we wouldn't be doing what we're doing today if it weren't for the things these people did.
People within 10 feet of amazingness and not knowing it. @SBrown and Brown arrived and were ready help us cover the events of the evening.

Phil and I went to the 2016 ISHA awards dinner where we were surrounded by legends in the industry, including but not exclusive to Klaus Obermeyer, Herman Gollner,
Sven Coomer, (again, the list goes on and on)
Andrel Molterer, Klaus Obermeyer
image.jpeg

Sven Coomer (Zipfit) , Hermann Gollner(legendary ski racing coach and innovator in ski racing equipment), Charlie Ferries(Pre Skis)
image.jpeg

Tricia, @Weems Westfeldt , Walter (ski coach)
image.jpeg

@SBrown and RBrown attended the Rooftop Freestyle party, where Phil and I joined later. I will let her fill in the details on that when she catches her breath.
Some pictures
John Clendenin, John Eaves(Willy Bogner movie fame), Genia Fuller Crews, Bad Bob Solerno
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    40 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Nice report! Klaus Obermeyer defies time. I guess that is what living right does for you.

Are you going to be skiing in Summit on your return?

Sponsor

Staff online