• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2016-17 Mammoth/"Calif4nia" Conditions/Meetups Thread

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
"screw this, let's go ski Hole In The Wall!" which is something I've been contemplating doing for a long time. Better do it next year, 'cause if I don't I'll just be one year older when I do!
Still time this year!

Hole-in-the-Wall last Wednesday:
file.php

file.php

Detail TR: http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12407

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
Cool, I have 2-3 things I want to try that might improve on HHS. Was the snow wet through or did the wind/sun kinda dry it out a bit?
Somebody said it hadn't gotten to the stage where the water started draining out of the snow, fresh but not fresh enough. The steeper slopes were OK but the flats, especially lower down, were grabby. Verrrry grabby.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Weekend before last was so much fun I'm going back up the weekend of May 13-14 with a couple of friends. That will likely be all I can manage to get out for this season.

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I found epicski and the Skidiva late 2013 while researching about skiing Hokkaido, then attended my first gathering in Utah 2014 and started skiing more advanced/expert terrain. @KingGrump always calls me an adrenaline junkie which I've vehemently denied, thinking I'm a... slow and cautious skier. But I must confess to getting way too excited reading the blog below about a 2 day private clinic on steeps around Mammoth:

http://www.desidiver.com/skiing/2017/04/18/learning-skiing-glen-plake/

What have you all done to me?!?!

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I found epicski and the Skidiva late 2013 while researching about skiing Hokkaido, then attended my first gathering in Utah 2014 and started skiing more advanced/expert terrain. @KingGrump always calls me an adrenaline junkie which I've vehemently denied, thinking I'm a... slow and cautious skier. But I must confess to getting way too excited reading the blog below about a 2 day private clinic on steeps around Mammoth:

http://www.desidiver.com/skiing/2017/04/18/learning-skiing-glen-plake/

What have you all done to me?!?!

I just finished reading the blog and it just made me want to get to the point to where something like it is within the realm of possibility for me. Awesome!

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The only way to ski better is to ski more. Coaching can help and even inspire, but it takes doing.

I agree. I went from 5 days last season (my first) to 20+ and counting this year. Each day on the slope brings more experience and confidence.

For instance last time I was up, I skied down a run in whiteout conditions. I had done the run a few times before so could visualize the path and knew I could do it. I had to dig for some nerve, but I made it safe and sound.

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Variable weather & snow conditions last week, still fun.
Heading up this afternoon again, spring conditions forecast .
cya @ CH2 lot . .

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just got back from the PSIA-W convention at Mammoth last Friday and Saturday. Holy cr*p, I've never seen that much snow in almost 35 years of skiing there! Standing on the notch cut by the grooming machines in the top of Cornice I was looking up at about 12 feet of snow above me in the actual cornice, and I figure I was standing on maybe 10+ feet of snow. Unreal. You'd ski down to Main Lodge and step slightly down to the 3rd floor sundeck. It was pretty sticky in the afternoon and Zardoz just weren't gettin' 'er done neither... The "stop and go" got kind of old after a while, so I need to work on a bullet-proof spring snow wax/whatever base treatment. I heard that a clinic actually basically said "screw this, let's go ski Hole In The Wall!" which is something I've been contemplating doing for a long time. Better do it next year, 'cause if I don't I'll just be one year older when I do!

Supposedly the sign on top of Mammoth is something like 18 feet, only the top 2 feet (give or take) were sticking out of the snow.

Got to spend some time skiing with Marco Sullivan (Hey, @Philpug, Marco says hi!) and Anna Goodman (Canadian, former World Cup skier) in a clinic. Fun joking around with them as well.

Two days on the Head 177cm Rally.
He still owes me $20.00!!! Glad you had a grea time. We will head down there when we get back from Colorado/Utah,

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Classic spring day today, a little warm, top was nice early. Good weather all week.

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
What a killer couple of days so far.. So much open & filled in. Hiked some to get some good lines today.
The snow in varmints was spectacular too !
See ya'all tomorrow !

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We're heading up Friday, ski Sat/Sun.:daffy:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Jealous...We are stuck here in Colorado with only a 30" base.

Sponsor

Staff online