• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Your best ski for a lesson...

SpauldingSmails

Uh oh, somebody's wrong on the internet again!
Skier
How do you choose, do you just take your favorite ski?

If you don't mind more detail and 'TLDR'...

Since it looks like most of us have a quiver to select from, what is your thought process to decide what ski you would use to receive instruction or for training? To use the automobile analogy, what if you have skis that range from luxury rides (more forgiving, requires less attention, a 'casual' piste ski - all mountain) to performance rides (less forgiving, demanding, a 'sporting' ski - a racer)? Do you go with the easy riders so you can focus on learning and make the lesson more fun? Or do you go with a harder ski to gain experience with it and to push yourself? I am especially interested in hearing if people use multiple skis for lessons and training to vary their tools for progression and for fun.

My perspective: I have only used a carving ski for my lessons, at least two group classes a season. That ski is a Volkl T50 4 star Supersport, 178cm/17m. It is an easy ski and a lot of fun. I am 5'11" 200#, low intermediate skier, meaning I can get down a mountain over most marked trails with skis on my feet (not the same as 'skiing') using some recognizable techniques. It is my favorite ski and I only use it for on-piste plus or minus a couple inch dusting of powder. For lessons, it has served me well. I think the techniques taught (intermediate level content like controlling speed with turn shape or improving turning mechanics using pole plants, flexion, and extension) were just as easily executed on my other skis. I am contemplating taking my cheater skis (Atomic Redster D2 GS 184cm/19m) out for my next lesson but I'm not sure if I'd enjoy the lesson as much since it is a more demanding ski (heavier, stiffer, needs constant attention to stay on top of) - but - taking the more demanding ski to a lesson is going to show more of my inefficiencies and the lesson will give me quality time and experience with this ski. I regard that as a big plus to use the cheater skis during the lesson.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I'd pick one of my skis that's best for that lesson depending on if it's for bumps, trees, on or off piste, etc. Are the conditions icy that day. I pick a lesson ski a lot of the ways I decide what I'll be doing that day on the mountain in general. Generally for a lesson though I like a ski that's easy to turn and maneuver so that I can work on things easily.

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Why do you call it a cheater ski when it needs your “constant attention to stay on to of”?

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Whats the tune on the old Supersport? If it's a 1/2, going to a 1/3 will make it more aggressive and raise it's limits a little without going full blown cheater GS ski.

The cheater would be great for a lesson in gates, but it sounds like overkill for a typical lesson.

TS
SpauldingSmails

SpauldingSmails

Skier
Why do you call it a cheater ski when it needs your “constant attention to stay on to of”?
I call it a cheater ski because that is common parlance for non-FIS racing skis, AKA beer league skis.

TS
SpauldingSmails

SpauldingSmails

Skier
Whats the tune on the old Supersport? If it's a 1/2, going to a 1/3 will make it more aggressive and raise it's limits a little without going full blown cheater GS ski.

The cheater would be great for a lesson in gates, but it sounds like overkill for a typical lesson.

Yes, I am on the fence about bringing out the GS skis for a lesson in piste skiing (but they are such a blast). The tune on the Supersport is a 0/2 or 1/2. I know the side is a 2, I put it there, but the base I have never touched (skis are hand-me-downs). The cheaters are a 1/3. IT sounds like you are saying use the ol' familiar but with new bevel of 1/3. I like that...

flbufl

Getting on the lift
Skier
In general, shorter and softer (longitudinal flex, not torsional) skis for lessons. Because most lessons take place on blue trails with slow to medium speed. The advantages of longer and stiffer skis at high speed just don't work in those situations. Also, when you try new drills, shorter skis make you life easier in general. But probably you can survive lessons with almost any skis, maybe except 120 under foot, full reverse camber ones?

Since it looks like most of us have a quiver to select from, what is your thought process to decide what ski you would use to receive instruction or for training? To use the automobile analogy, what if you have skis that range from luxury rides (more forgiving, requires less attention, a 'casual' piste ski - all mountain) to performance rides (less forgiving, demanding, a 'sporting' ski - a racer)? Do you go with the easy riders so you can focus on learning and make the lesson more fun? Or do you go with a harder ski to gain experience with it and to push yourself? I am especially interested in hearing if people use multiple skis for lessons and training to vary their tools for progression and for fun.

My perspective: I have only used a carving ski for my lessons, at least two group classes a season. That ski is a Volkl T50 4 star Supersport, 178cm/17m. It is an easy ski and a lot of fun. I am 5'11" 200#, low intermediate skier, meaning I can get down a mountain over most marked trails with skis on my feet (not the same as 'skiing') using some recognizable techniques. It is my favorite ski and I only use it for on-piste plus or minus a couple inch dusting of powder. For lessons, it has served me well. I think the techniques taught (intermediate level content like controlling speed with turn shape or improving turning mechanics using pole plants, flexion, and extension) were just as easily executed on my other skis. I am contemplating taking my cheater skis (Atomic Redster D2 GS 184cm/19m) out for my next lesson but I'm not sure if I'd enjoy the lesson as much since it is a more demanding ski (heavier, stiffer, needs constant attention to stay on top of) - but - taking the more demanding ski to a lesson is going to show more of my inefficiencies and the lesson will give me quality time and experience with this ski. I regard that as a big plus to use the cheater skis during the lesson.

TS
SpauldingSmails

SpauldingSmails

Skier
...Because most lessons take place on blue trails with slow to medium speed. The advantages of longer and stiffer skis at high speed just don't work in those situations.
There it is. That's the golden nugget. I didn't think about that. My lessons are always like that. @flbufl Thanks!

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
For never ever beginners I’m on my 133cm skis. I want them on a short ski so I’m on the same type of ski. It’s easier for them to learn on the short skis and easier for me to move around to assist on short skis.

For regular lessons I’m on my regular skis. Right now they are Volkl RTMs at 163cm. I’m comfortable on them and demos are easy.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You can ski long stiff skis at slow speed, you just have to increase and exaggerate the effort to achieve the same result. Makes you a better skier.

It’s been said before skiing slow correctly shows shows your errors, just as speed and momentum hides them.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Take the smaller easier-turning ski to the lesson. Learn what's being taught. Then go practice using that ski on similar terrain as you were on for the lesson, then progressively steeper terrain. Your goal will be to embed the new movement pattern. Once it's embedded, then use your fast GS skis.

You'll find out then if the new movement pattern is really embedded.

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
You want a ski that will permit you to focus on what the lesson is teaching, not focus on just controlling the skis. I agree with LF in posting #12.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

At your size and in the bigger scheme of things, the Redster shouldn't feel big and demanding, so I'll take another tack... I'd say to take it. Clearly you need to refine some movements to make it a more manageable ski for you (or there could be something wacky with the tune), and the best way to do that is on that ski. Give it a go for fun and leave your other skis in the rack at the bottom to swap out if it's really necessary.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Take skis appropriate for the lesson and the conditions.

Your daily driver. You need something comfortable that you can learn and focus on technique. @Tricia can tell you about skiing only 1 pair for most a year and how much her technique improved.
Yes, I did this at the suggestion of Chris Geib and Bob Barnes. That was one of the first real breakout years I ever had.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You mean those of us who're too cheap to own more than a single pair of skis are better off after all? ogwink
Not necessarily. Some people own one pair of skis that isn't necessarily good for their skiing. I'm not saying you, but some people.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
My general go to ski is my Head Rallys which were suggested to me and have been a great ski that I've spent most of the season on. In general I'd say something versatile works out to be a great choice.

:beercheer::daffy:

Sponsor

Staff online