• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Yakima or Thule

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
About to buy a ski box (rooftop) this Labor Day sale. I'm looking at Yakima Rocketbox Pro 11 or Thule Alpine. Anyone got experience good or bad with either of these? A preference? Both will fit my bars and both will fit my skis. Thule will be a bit more expensive, but worth it if the quality is significantly better. All things equal, I'll buy the cheaper Yakima.

Thoughts?
Thanks.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm happy with my Yakima for the last 4-5 years. The labels have fallen off, and the black is just slightly faded, hard to tell. It's made both summer and winter activities better.

There was a recent (6 mos) thread asking the same thing.

I think either would be fine. Which would look better on your vehicle?

Good luck with your decision.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Box :huh: don't know how to answer.

Roof racks (bars more specifically) Yakima. I've had both and I prefer the round bar, roof/bar interface I would say is about the same.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I have an older Yakima 25 Rocketbox that fit the old Volvo but not the new Subie. Craigslist had a Yakima 16 that was just the ticket for $150. Both work very nicely but now I have two of the damn things.

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
I've had the Yakima Rocket box for the last 2 years with no problems. Thule might well be better quality for all I know but the Yakima has been fine for me.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I used to run all Thule stuff now everything has evolved to Yakima. Do you need a box that carries a 210cm, if not consider the Skybox 16.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I used to run all Thule stuff now everything has evolved to Yakima. Do you need a box that carries a 210cm, if not consider the Skybox 16.

The specs say the skybox holds up to 180 cm skis. Have you any experience with putting longer in one? (Like an enforcer @ 185)

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
The specs say the skybox holds up to 180 cm skis. Have you any experience with putting longer in one? (Like an enforcer @ 185)

Looks like the specs say 185cm per this: https://www.yakima.com/skybox-16-carbonite

I would say that's spot on. My 187's won't fit in straight, I have to angle them slightly. Fitting 2 pairs of skis that long gets annoying because they both have to be angled and you have to avoid the hinge mechanism. Not being able to put them in straight really cuts down on the capacity of the box. If I had to do it again, I would get something like a Thule Force Alpine which will fit longer skis but will still clear the hatch on my Outback.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I have a Thule Forester which is ancient (over 15 yrs. old) and works great. The hinge started popping off from time to time lately, so I bough a new off-brand one for $10 shipped. Other than that it's worked perfectly. I have it on Yakima bars. I'm happy.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Looks like the specs say 185cm per this: https://www.yakima.com/skybox-16-carbonite

I would say that's spot on. My 187's won't fit in straight, I have to angle them slightly. Fitting 2 pairs of skis that long gets annoying because they both have to be angled and you have to avoid the hinge mechanism. Not being able to put them in straight really cuts down on the capacity of the box. If I had to do it again, I would get something like a Thule Force Alpine which will fit longer skis but will still clear the hatch on my Outback.
Thanks, I pulled the specs from REI's website, since that is where I would more than likely buy one from. But its good to know from firsthand experience. I also have an Outback and had been considering the Thule Alpine as well. Is there a reason you'd go with the Force and not the Thule Pulse?

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier
Thanks, I pulled the specs from REI's website, since that is where I would more than likely buy one from. But its good to know from firsthand experience. I also have an Outback and had been considering the Thule Alpine as well. Is there a reason you'd go with the Force and not the Thule Pulse?

This thread might be of interest:
https://forum.pugski.com/threads/ski-cargo-box.4402/

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Are you going to have any other car attachments with lock cores?

I have Yakima roof trays and a Yakima box, but ended up choosing a Thule hitch rack. So I end up carrying two keys for that stuff instead of just one. I really like the Thule hitch rack, so if I were to do it over again I'd probably go Thule. Actually, given the height of my garage, I'd probably go with whichever has the lowest profile for a roof box.

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
Is there a reason you'd go with the Force and not the Thule Pulse?

Force Alpine requires 52 1/4" of forward clearance vs 55 1/4" on the Pulse. Pulse won't clear the hatch on my '08 Outback. Force would hit but would likely be able to open all the way if I don't mind it hitting. Force clears on newer Outbacks (buddy has that combo).

Sponsor