• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
But that's only assuming you are able to demo enough of them in models and sizes that work and also find that love..Not to mention finding the conditions when you demo that are on par with what your use to spending most your time skiing in. Nothing about that is technically "right away" but can actually be quite the process.

But also.....isn't it also very possible an initial love for a ski can (via some more extended ski time) end up being something you no longer feel are as great as you originally thought? and perhaps even be unhappy with? I mean you can grow to love a ski you ended up buying without demoing but imo it would then stand to reason that you can also grow to hate a ski you thought were great on a demo. We can generalize but I just don't think there is anything ensuring for certain either way.
Just like marriage:eek:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
But I also wonder how often demo days are ruined for an honest newcomer just by default of being out of the local loop? What I mean is this.....So someone reorganizes life to make plans for a lengthy enough trip out to a demo day. They arrive and find its all about who knows who at the local hill and also the reps and cant really find much a way into trying much of anything at all.

I've never seen that. The closest would be if someone bogarts a demo rather than bringing it back after a few runs. And for the Loveland demo day in particular - there was an industry day on a weekday (Thurs or Fri) before the consumer demo.

Honestly, this wouldn't make sense. The manufacturers want to get new customers on their skis. Customers who've maybe never considered their brand before. The techs all typically seem pretty stoked and helpful. They're trying to get you out there on one of their skis - they'd love to get you out on what you have in mind, and they're also always ready with a few suggestions for other skis, besides.

I guess the one exception was the <brand> tent, where I asked if they had any short turn radius skis in my length, and they were completely baffled. But that's because apparently one of them was just learning the stock (??). I walked into the tent and pointed to the ski with the 15m turn radius printed on the tail. "How about this one?"

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My friend Jon and I hit demo days when they are convenient. Sometimes we will pay for for a high performance rental while we are at Alta, and we will swap skis throughout the day. I don’t need Jon to tell me what he thinks about a particular ski - I can tell within a few turns whether he likes it or not... One could make the argument that Jon is only liking the skis that complement his abilities, and there would be some truth to that. After all, we both give positive marks to the skis that are like our current skis, except that they better and more fun - when you come down to it, are there any other criteria that makes sense for a recreational skier? FWIW, Jon and I both feel (or are deluding ourselves to feel) that our skiing continues to improve year by year (mine more than his, of course). Also FWIW, Jon only owns one pair of skis at a time, and uses them everywhere and in all conditions. His previous Ski: Head Rock n Roll (Lemmyyyy!); his new ski: Enforcer 93.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've only done a few, but I've never seen anything like that at all. All the ones I've done, you walk up to the tent/table, ask about what they have, pick a pair, take them out for a couple of runs, and repeat. You might have to wait a bit to get to one of the reps at the tent if it's busy.

I've never seen that. The closest would be if someone bogarts a demo rather than bringing it back after a few runs. And for the Loveland demo day in particular - there was an industry day on a weekday (Thurs or Fri) before the consumer demo.
"
well that's good to know. With all the things that can already work against a demo day its good to know that issue wouldn't be one of them.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Do it all the time.
In fact, I bought every pair in my quiver without a demo.
I enjoy skiing them all.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've done it, katanas come to mind no demo, but I love them.

They were highly recommended by people whose opinion I value.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I've bought skis off a demo twice.
The first time was a pair of Volkl AC4s (yeah, I know, but I loved'em).
Had them for a day in December 2005 at Alta, then phoned in a buy from Tokyo and they were waiting for me when I got to Jackson Hole in February.
Next are my Stockli AX, demo'd for two days at Davos last February and pulled the trigger when I found a good deal a few months ago.
Hope to get them out on snow in about eight days.
All my other skis have been bought untested, and as the saying goes: they've all been good, just some better than others.
I have to add, though, that in recent years I've mostly chosen based on all the reviews, comments and great info provided by Bears & Pugs. Thanks all :hail::beercheer::wave:

Marty McSly

Getting off the lift
Skier
I recall a guy coming into the shop last year who said, "I want a ski like my old Metron B-5. When I replaced it, I read the reviews and got the top ski in Ski Magazine, which is the Nordica Enforcer. I hate it. Its too wide, and doesn't ski at all like I want."
Doh!!!:doh:
Do they even make skis like the Metrons any more?

And no, like many others here I've never demoed before buying. Again, like many others, I do a lot of research and reading, and generally buy heavily discounted skis a year or 2 old on closeout. The only skis I've paid full price for are the Z90's that are in transit now.

I did try to demo some skis in Sun Peaks this year, but found that what I wanted to try either wasn't in stock or the length I wanted was out.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I've demonstrated many skis that I would not trade for my well used Fischer WC SCs. No how, no way.
I've once had a demo that had a bad tune, but I could tell it was the tune - the edges were duller than dull.
I've bought skis (for less than $100) hoping they would fit that hole in my quiver, and while they did not, I still enjoy skiing them. While I would prefer they did everything I wanted them to do, I can accommodate their inadequacies, and while in one case I've grown to like them less than when I first got them, in another I've grown to like them more the more I skied them, even though they still won't do everything I want out of them.

FWIW, and in my humble experience, demo day skis are rarely if ever dull. What they are on occasion are railed or burred.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
But I also wonder how often demo days are ruined for an honest newcomer just by default of being out of the local loop? What I mean is this.....So someone reorganizes life to make plans for a lengthy enough trip out to a demo day. They arrive and find its all about who knows who at the local hill and also the reps and cant really find much a way into trying much of anything at all.

Similar sometimes goes on at golf demo days. You can sort of get the local players hogging up their local place and also being friendly familiar with the reps and/or shop or shops. Becomes sort of a closed group play day. And an outsider cant barely get the time of day. Worst part is that many those locals hogging things up in their close circle really dont have a true desire to purchase but simply want to try. Its conveniently close for them, they have the time, know everyone, get their paws on whatever they want to try for no real reason except for personal enjoyment. Yet the person who traveled for some serious demo considerations cant get the time of day.

Having been one of the guys handing out skis, I can tell you your fears are unfounded.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Having been one of the guys handing out skis, I can tell you your fears are unfounded.
I agree with @markojp, once the skis make it to the reps vans and to consumer demos, all of the kinks hace been worked through.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Do they even make skis like the Metrons any more?

And no, like many others here I've never demoed before buying. Again, like many others, I do a lot of research and reading, and generally buy heavily discounted skis a year or 2 old on closeout. The only skis I've paid full price for are the Z90's that are in transit now.

I did try to demo some skis in Sun Peaks this year, but found that what I wanted to try either wasn't in stock or the length I wanted was out.
You're a prime example of someone who probably doesn't have a good sense of what you need, but you approach the right people for good advice and make wise choices.
The ski you were on at Whistler was a very good ski for you. The only issue is that you're aggressiveness increased without adjusting the bindings.

James

Out There
Instructor
Never would do such a thing!!
Demo till the season is over. Then demo next season.

I think I do it 50% of the time.

Brendon

Booting up
Skier
Never would personally, it's such a big investment. Reviews tell me I should like the head titans or rossi E84s, reality is I would have regretted buying them instead of an rtm84 or gt 84.

I'm incredibly thankful to the reps who run demo days for the advice and work they put in. Going to one gave me a ton of insight into what's available and what I really like.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Never would personally, it's such a big investment. Reviews tell me I should like the head titans or rossi E84s, reality is I would have regretted buying them instead of an rtm84 or gt 84.

I'm incredibly thankful to the reps who run demo days for the advice and work they put in. Going to one gave me a ton of insight into what's available and what I really like.

Yep.

From reviews I gathered that the Monster Series of Skis were too much ski for me. Ended up trying them and loving them. Same thing with the Bonafide, too much ski? Not at all, fun and easy ski for me. From reviews I though I would love the Salomon QST series, I did not like them at all when using them. That said, the Head Kore 93 in 180cm was a ski that my experience with it matched the reviews. Same deal with another ski I own, the Moment Deathwish (I did demo the 184cm version but ended up buying the 190cm). So its a mixed bag in my experience.

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier

I saw Monique already replied to this statement, but I wanted to quote you again so you'd get a notification. I also have never run into this, living in a totally different part of the country from her. I am absolutely not someone who would be considered "in the loop" by any stretch, and have had no problems at local demo days. My big takeaway is that it's all about both timing and luck. Some years, I get on almost every ski I want to try. Some years, I don't. But pretty much every year, I get on the first pair that I make a bee-line to. After that first pair, it depends on what's in when I get back to the base, and I have to be prepared with plan B, C, & D.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So how do I find one of these "Demo Day" events at a Mt Hood area?
ON3P has their factory on Portland and schedules demo days at Meadows, as well as at other resorts in the PNW and elsewhere.

Otherwise, check with different ski resorts, they often have a calendar of events that includes demo days.

Sponsor

Staff online