• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Worst Skis Ever?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Most recent 'worst'... I won't say, but for some reason they're popular in some parts I've heard. I can only imagine them for 140# skiers who want to ski a 186. :)

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
:useless:... or without saying!

Challenge ...Accepted.

1935954_10206966114408763_8603119510754796521_n.jpg

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
My personal least favorite of all time are Atomic Sugar Daddys, worst edge feel of any ski I have ever owned.

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
Worst ones I ever had were a pair of 200cm Olin VTC (Vertical Terrain Comp). Fortunately, I got them on pro form and was able to unload them for what I paid for them. These were replaced with a pair of Atomic Carbon Bionic skis that I really liked.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Long LONG ago; a pair of Tony Sailors. I think they were the first hollow core skis from back in the later 60's. Those things really sucked at a very high level.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Soul 7. But the pair I demoed was too short for me, so who knows....

James

Out There
Instructor
Worst recently was Blizzard Quatro for 16/17. Last year skied it in Feb for one run. Just awful. Ski didn't know what it wanted to do and certaimly couldn't carve well. A carving ski that doesn't carve well. Didn't do anything else well either. I heard early this season they had all been shipped back to Austria and a new batch sent over. More than a tuning issue. I think they were rushed out so dealers had next year's ski available late season.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
I've alwaywanted to ski the 45 mm Elans!

There have been so many off skis, I'll toss out the circa 2005 Salomon w wider tail.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've alwaywanted to ski the 45 mm Elans!

There have been so many off skis, I'll toss out the circa 2005 Salomon w wider tail.

The 45mm Elan Stealth was quite interesting, it was a symmetric ski with 87mm tip and tail.

The ski with a tail wider than the tip was actually a Fischer, the Revolution Ice. Yes it was one of the skis that came to mind when I mentioned manufactuerers just threw ideas against the wall to see if they worked. Many ideas like this didn't.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
The 45mm Elan Stealth was quite interesting, it was a symmetric ski with 87mm tip and tail.

The ski with a tail wider than the tip was actually a Fischer, the Revolution Ice. Yes it was one of the skis that came to mind when I mentioned manufactuerers just threw ideas against the wall to see if they worked. Many ideas like this didn't.

Solomon had one in a long radius version, somewhere around 190cm

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
More Runner Ups:
Rossignol Multix with the bag of arms that you could control the flex of the skis
Dynastar with the Fusion and ID skis, asymmetrical sidewalls and sidecuts.
Salomon Pilots wth arguably the worst integrated binding design
Volant TSBD (Tight Spots Big Drops), Volant had many innovated skis, this was not one of them.
Elan SCX RP 193, the first ski made for an NFL linebacker, a PRO Bowl linebacker at that.

I tried the Mutix, but the long arms didn't fit in the gondola. Wasn't a bad ski, but a gimmick I thought. As for the Pilots, they saved a day at WB years ago. But worst binding system.

I feel fortunate to say that I never skied anything on that list

Lucky you!!

My personal least favorite of all time are Atomic Sugar Daddys, worst edge feel of any ski I have ever owned.

I loved the Sugar Mama's, but Atomic did have a problem with anything Metron. Way too heavy to lift. We jokingly called them the Mega-trons.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I
I loved the Sugar Mama's, but Atomic did have a problem with anything Metron. Way too heavy to lift. We jokingly called them the Mega-trons.

Ironically, if you look at the Cloud and Balanze series, all the feMetrons were less sidecut and less built than the numbered unisex Metrons.

The red Sugar Daddies were my go-to western ski through about 2008 - more agile than V2 Chubbs, much more edge grip than Solly PRs, more float *and* more direct to edge than Bluehouse MR2.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I've always wanted to ski the 45 mm Elans!

I'd offer to lend you my pair but I wouldn't feel right about it. The problem with the skis (in general, not just my pair) is that there is a very tall front and back riser with a recessed area in between. That mounting zone is so tiny that there is no room for binding mount error. And no room for remounts. And the riser plates are hollow ABS so you can't epoxy mistakes back in.

My current pair was originally drilled for a Solly 3-screw 325mm. I have found enough material around the existing holes for the current bindings. But I have to rebuild the riser entirely using PVC/metal sandwich before I would feel OK letting anyone else on them.