• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
First the best wines started coming from Napa Valley rather than France. Now the best lobstah roll hails from -- wait for it -- Utah? not the Maine Coast??? Yes, Freshies Lobster Co. in Park City has won the World's Best Lobster Roll. Let your drawn butter sink into that!​

fullsizeoutput_5f33.jpeg

Freshies is located right on Prospector Avenue within walking distance of many ski industry headquarters, and right across the street from SIA and Pret Helmets. I first visited this past winter when one of our community members brought me there. I was skeptical but thought, hey, just like sex, even a mediocre lobster roll is better than no lobster roll at all. I ordered the large roll, which has about 6 ounces of beautiful, tender lobster coated nicely but not drenched in mayonnaise, seasoned perfectly with Freshies' own concoction of flavors, and drizzled with butter. The perfectly toasted bun was warm and had just the right crisp to it; it had just enough butter to leave your fingers glistening and enough flavor left for the finishing touches. I also ordered a cup of New England clam chowder, which brought back even more memories of the East Coast. The only thing missing from the clam chowder was the availability of crushed red pepper; there was Tabasco, but for seafood, I prefer a crushed pepper, so I have deducted a tenth of a star.

In June we made another trip to Utah with some of our staff members, and we made sure to hit Freshies -- not only once, but twice. Again we left completely satisfied. Being the social media people that we are, we Facebooked our meals, only to have our New England friends question the decision to eat lobster rolls so far from the Atlantic. We stood our ground and defended Freshies and the quality product, but still our sanity was doubted with comments like, "Sorry, but the New Englander in me cannot accept lobster in Utah no matter how good it might taste,” and “Maine lobsters? Flown in daily? Better be …. The coastal Mainer inside me is kind of a lobster roll snob, my apologies.”

Well, the diehards have spoken at the Down East Lobster Roll Festival in Portland, ME, and they have validated our thoughts: you don’t have to be in Maine to have a wicked good lobstah roll. If you are reading this, I imagine you are a skier, so your next trip to Park City must include a stop to Freshies to see what all the talk is about. You will find not just a roll to get by, but a roll that will satisfy all of your desires for lobster.​

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Damn good :drool:

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm gonna have to join your skeptical, east coast Facebook crowd...

Not saying it's not true, its just one if those things you can't fully believe until you experience it for yourself. Kind of like believing in ghosts or alien abduction.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I think this is funny. In this day and age, why not? "shore to door in 24" -- it's not that difficult to get good food across the country quickly.

"The judging circle consisted of a popular vote from 250 VIP guests, and a final say from the judge panel of restaurateurs, food writers, and lobster purveyors."

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Don't shoot the messenger...the voting took place in Portland Maine.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
these guys had an unfair advantage! No one from Maine entered since they didn't know what a lobster roll was......now if the competition had been for the real thing ... lobstah rolls.......:)

However, having lived in Maine for a few years, and while I can attest to the quality (and price!) of lobster straight off the boat, what was even better there was the sea scallops....never quite the same when I have them anywhere else....:(

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
After reading the description on their site, forget the lobster roll for a moment...New England has their own style hot dog bun?!?

As a born and raised New Englander, apparently I haven't eaten enough hot dogs in other places.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
I notice that the contest was held in Portland, ME. Methinks they didn't import their lobster from Utah, but got it (very, very fresh) off the boat. I wonder if it tasted better in Portland than it does in Park City?

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I notice that the contest was held in Portland, ME. Methinks they didn't import their lobster from Utah, but got it (very, very fresh) off the boat. I wonder if it tasted better in Portland than it does in Park City?

I was trying to figure this out, actually ... no answers yet.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ahh. Good point!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Their lobster is comes from Maine, I would be very surprised if they used a different lobster or source...you don't make that change going into the their biggest competition.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
...but how much does it cost? :cool:

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
...but how much does it cost? :cool:
A regular roll is $17 or $18 with 4 oz of lobster, the large is $25 with 6 oz...which really is not out of line.

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Their lobster is comes from Maine, I would be very surprised if they used a different lobster or source...you don't make that change going into the their biggest competition.

I think what they are saying is, The lobster in Maine will be fresher than the same lobster after traveling to Utah.

Obviously, at the competition, everyone is working with the same source, more or less, so they won fair and square. The question is, How different does it taste in Park City, after flying in a plane? I imagine every single place in Maine isn't cooking every single one of their lobsters 10 minutes after it's caught, but still, I don't know. I probably can't tell the difference anyway, I'm from Colorado.

No one in NE is going to admit that lobster will taste as good in the Rocky Mountain West. (Yeah, they'll come ski our snow, but pooh-pooh our food. ogsmile Keep it to yourself. :roflmao:) And it might not, but it was still fairly amazing.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think what they are saying is, The lobster in Maine will be fresher than the same lobster after traveling to Utah.

Obviously, at the competition, everyone is working with the same source, more or less, so they won fair and square. The question is, How different does it taste in Park City, after flying in a plane? .

Exactly. And I would never pooh pooh Colorado food!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm sure it's tasty, but unless you can smell the salt water and see lobster boats floating in the harbor, I'm just not that interested in a lobster roll.
Don't forget the seagulls..the filthy scavengers from the sky that will swoop down and grab the roll right out of your hands without a second thought.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
A regular roll is $17 or $18 with 4 oz of lobster, the large is $25 with 6 oz...which really is not out of line.

That is not bad although in most places along the northeast coast its $15 for a lobster roll that has gobs of fresh lobster (id say 6-8oz plus). Still, to be able to get such an awesome roll in the middle of the rockies it is awesome. :golfclap:

Sponsor

Staff online