• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Wintersteiger (so much for "i" before "e")

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
My good friend used to tune and wax my skis in exchange for a six pack. It was a great time to compare the week's verts.
He moved.
I had to find a new place to tune my skis. I have neither the time or interest in doing my skis. The tune shop at Copper has a Wintersteiger machine. It's convenient and fast and cheap.
I felt that the tunes were pretty good but not as good as my friend did them. One time, one of my skis fell off the belt and they had to do a full hand tune. I think that this was an aberration.
I'm curious how you guys feel about the Wintersteiger. Do you, or would you, subject your skis to this machine? Is it a good thing or not?

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
In German, "ie" is pronounced "eee" (long E), and "ei" is pronounced like "eye" (long I)...

But more to the point, a well run machine with a trained and skilled operator will do a great job; it's overly aggressive tuners that will take too much base/edge off the skis. I prefer to do as much as I can by hand.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My local ski store uses the Montana 'CrystalGlide' machine. It consistently does a fantastic job. I only do a little touch up occasionally to maintain the edges

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
It's not the arrow, it's the Indian...

Machines are capable of getting a smoother sharper more consistent edge than any human tuner can do. That same machine is capable of completely wrecking a pair of skis in a matter of seconds. Depends on the operator.

Same with hand tools... A skilled craftsman can work magic with hand tools and a hack can cause damage with the same tools.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
The shop I work at in Breck uses Wintersteiger equipment: stone grinder, belt sander and Trimjet disc edger. We put out what I feel are great tunes. I like my tunes. :) As @KevinF says, though, it is the indian, not the arrow.

In the fall we have specials advertised in the paper which is significantly off the full tune price of $50.00.

TS
Scotty I.

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
The shop I work at in Breck uses Wintersteiger equipment: stone grinder, belt sander and Trimjet disc edger. We put out what I feel are great tunes. I like my tunes. :) As @KevinF says, though, it is the indian, not the arrow.

In the fall we have specials advertised in the paper which is significantly off the full tune price of $50.00.

Would you PM me the name of your store. I live in Evergreen but I don't mind coming to Breck for a good (and discounted) tune.

Sponsor

Staff online