• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

StuckonI70

Getting on the lift
Skier
WP isn't a great cruising mountain, never has been. Being a one or two planker has nothing to do with it.
I don't think any of the RMSP+ hills are. Copper is the best bet for that stuff.
A+ cruiser hills have 3K+ vertical and lots of top to bottom options (Snowmass, Breck, etc)
However, WP shines for trees, snow, bumps and some somewhat strange terrain.
I snowboard and will say it took 2 years to figure out WP, but once I did, it's my go-to spot locally.

TS
J

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
WP isn't a great cruising mountain, never has been. Being a one or two planker has nothing to do with it.
I don't think any of the RMSP+ hills are. Copper is the best bet for that stuff.
A+ cruiser hills have 3K+ vertical and lots of top to bottom options (Snowmass, Breck, etc)
However, WP shines for trees, snow, bumps and some somewhat strange terrain.
I snowboard and will say it took 2 years to figure out WP, but once I did, it's my go-to spot locally.

No worries. It was the trees that was the biggest selling point for WP. The top to bottom cruising would have been nice for the kids.

Looking at the Steamboat trail map, it also looks tough to do a top to bottom run. Again, not a huge deal given the quality of tree skiing, but it would be cool for the kids.

StuckonI70

Getting on the lift
Skier
No worries. It was the trees that was the biggest selling point for WP. The top to bottom cruising would have been nice for the kids.

Looking at the Steamboat trail map, it also looks tough to do a top to bottom run. Again, not a huge deal given the quality of tree skiing, but it would be cool for the kids.

Yep, the exit trail to the base isn't great. If you want to ski the whole vertical, it's better to take Elkhead or Burgess Creek to mid mountain then rip it down from there.

Parson Bowl is very kid friendly, not too many places that the upper bowl has really chill terrain for all to enjoy. The treed runs are nicely spaced over there. WP trees are very balanced in general, some nice casual tree off the summit and on the WP side. If you want to go crazy, the stuff near the Challenger chutes, Rock Garden, Tophers & Lizard's Line will push you. Steamboat trees are still my favorite though, loaded with snow and you just go crazy fast through them without thinking too much. Never found a place where such a high percentage of the trees within the ropes are skiable.

TS
J

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
Yep, the exit trail to the base isn't great. If you want to ski the whole vertical, it's better to take Elkhead or Burgess Creek to mid mountain then rip it down from there.

Parson Bowl is very kid friendly, not too many places that the upper bowl has really chill terrain for all to enjoy. The treed runs are nicely spaced over there. WP trees are very balanced in general, some nice casual tree off the summit and on the WP side. If you want to go crazy, the stuff near the Challenger chutes, Rock Garden, Tophers & Lizard's Line will push you. Steamboat trees are still my favorite though, loaded with snow and you just go crazy fast through them without thinking too much. Never found a place where such a high percentage of the trees within the ropes are skiable.

Sounds like good advice.

Have you skied Brighton? I'd say nearly 100% of the resorts trees within the ropes are skiable. You might end up on a flat somewhere in some locations, but pretty much everywhere is good to go. There aren't too many extreme options , but for the intermediate to advanced skier/rider it's great. If WP and Steamboat have terrain anything like that, we'll be a happy crew!

Reactions: BC.
TS
J

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
Flights are booked. We'll be in WP on Monday / Tuesday, and Steamboat Wednesday / Thursday. Two dads, two 10 year old boys.

Are there any CAN'T miss places to eat in either town we should know about? How about kid-friendly happy hour / après spots?

Edit- I should have added... the kids are huge sports fans so a sports bar with great food (and beer for the dad's) definitely fits the bill.

Last edited:

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
For sports bar type places, I really like Randi's Grill & Pub in Winter Park. Much better food than I usually get in a sports bar. The only other two restaurants that stand out for me are both breakfast places: the Mountain Rose in WP and Sharkey's in Fraser. With 2 ten-year-olds, getting up in time for breakfast might not be realistic. :)

Rocky Mountain Roastery in Fraser has great coffee!:coffee:

TS
J

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
The trip is less than a week away and snow is in the forecast!

We're landing in DIA shortly after 7am and plan to high-tail it to Winter Park. We need to pick up our Route 40 passes at either the Mary Jane or WP guest services. Where should we plan on parking? We'll be trying to get on the hill as soon as possible so we won't mind paying if it saves us a bunch of time.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you can pick up passes at MJ, that is much easier than schlepping across the "village" at WP to the Balcony House where the pass office is, even if you pay the high price of parking in the garage. I believe I read you are coming in on a weekday, so you ought to be able to find parking at the base at MJ or at least at the C-lot and ski down to pick up your passes.

If no-one has said so before, go to the Fraser Recreation Center. It has a huge swim area and a great work out facility. They opened a new fancy grocery dine in sort of Whole Foods kind of place in WP town where you could probably pick up some good prepared food.

Have fun! I love Winter Park and especially the trees. Eagle Wind may not be open with the lower than average base, but hopefully the Panorama lift will be and they groom the main run down, so your girls may be able to "cruise" top to bottom that way.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Your best bet for parking is on the Mary Jane side- the "C" lot, as in at the bottom of the Challenger lift. That's the local's name. It's called Utah Junction Parking on the map. You can put on your skis on the snow berm by the lot and slide down to the base area. If you get there really early, you could check for a space in the Dostero Junction lot, which is right by the base area. But, honestly, the C lot is more handy. Parking at the Winter Park side is pay and a real hassle.

Last edited:

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Eagle Wind may not be open with the lower than average base,

I just texted my nephew, who is teaching in the ski school. He said they had a "soft opening" of Eagle Wind last Friday, but he thinks they closed it again. There's a lot of grunge to be marked. He said it's likely they will re-open it next week, particularly if the coming storm delivers.

Freaq

Pretends to be local
Skier
I just texted my nephew, who is teaching in the ski school. He said they had a "soft opening" of Eagle Wind last Friday, but he thinks they closed it again. There's a lot of grunge to be marked. He said it's likely they will re-open it next week, particularly if the coming storm delivers.
I got four laps on EW today, semi-directed. It was saweeet!

Magi

Instructor
Instructor
Are there any CAN'T miss places to eat in either town we should know about? How about kid-friendly happy hour / après spots?

Idlewild Distillery, in WP town, is can't miss. Spirits are distilled on site, in small batches, by the owner and his staff. The results are truly stellar (and the food is good too).

Goody's Mountain Crepery, in the village, for great kid and adult Friendly breakfast/après in the Village. Top 5 Hot Cocoa in CO in... ski magazine I think it was.

Coffee and Tea at the WP base in Balcony House. Best breakfast sandwich ever - the "Railyard".

I'll second Randi's for a sports Bar. Great burgers - the meatloaf is my favorite.

Hideaway Park Brewery for top class beer (and fraser Valley Hot Dog is right next door for Epic Eats).

The trip is less than a week away and snow is in the forecast!

Woooooo! I predict good times. :D

We're landing in DIA shortly after 7am and plan to high-tail it to Winter Park. We need to pick up our Route 40 passes at either the Mary Jane or WP guest services. Where should we plan on parking? We'll be trying to get on the hill as soon as possible so we won't mind paying if it saves us a bunch of time.

I would drop off your gear, one dad, and two kids in the "North Bench" parking lot, and then park in North Bench/Lone Tree/Blue Spruce (the parking lots just down the road from North Bench). That dad and the kids walk to Balcony house to drop gear, get passes, and order breakfast Sandwiches from Coffee & Tea. The other dad meets them at Balcony house, and you then get on the slopes up the Zephyr.

Warm up on March Hare or White Rabbit, and then take the Olympia back up (you can get to either WP or Jane side from the Olympia). If the Snowboarder has trouble with the flat runout to Olympia - you can use that knowledge to avoid cat tracks in the future. (And stay way away from the Pioneer Lift). If the snowboarder can deal with that you'll be fine everywhere.

If you are willing to spend a bunch on Parking - drive like you're going to the Zephyr Mountain lodge (tell the person at the gate that's where you're going) and then park UNDER the hotel. That's the single closest lot to the lifts you can park at (note - this will be expensive, and probably not save *THAT* much time relative to my plan listed above).

If no-one has said so before, go to the Fraser Recreation Center. It has a huge swim area and a great work out facility. They opened a new fancy grocery dine in sort of Whole Foods kind of place in WP town where you could probably pick up some good prepared food.

The Rec center is great - as is "The Foundry" (a bowling alley/movie theater complex nearby).

Have fun! I love Winter Park and especially the trees. Eagle Wind may not be open with the lower than average base, but hopefully the Panorama lift will be and they groom the main run down, so your girls may be able to "cruise" top to bottom that way.

See below re: tree skiing and terrain generally. The bottom of Corona Way is pretty flat - your snowboarder may not love it once you get to the parking area.

Parking at the Winter Park side is pay and a real hassle.

I think WP base is better if you want a place to stow gear, change, boot up, and then have easy access to food/drink post Ski. (après spots JAne side are *much* more limited)
I think MJ base is better if you want to park your car with all your layers on, put on your boots at the car, grab your skis and then skate to the Challenger lift and rip bumps till you drop.

Most parking on the WP side is free, and I find the lots that aren't F&G lot about as close to the lifts as the parking lots on Jane side Cosmo is referencing. Where the Jane side lots Shine is day tripping in and/or tailgating out of your car - and being able to SKI down to the lifts. For a snowboarder it's a pretty long skate...

One final point for a new visitor - you can ski to the WP base/parking at the end of the day no matter what. If you parked Jane side - you can get trapped on the WP side (And if you miss the last bus between WP and MJ - you're kinda screwed...) That would override just about everything else for me on my first day at WP.

Open or Not - steer clear of Eagle wind right now unless you're staying on "Thunderbird" which is an open mogul run (and even there, be prepared for rocks). I would want about another foot or two of snowfall before I hit Eagle Wind without going slow and steady to pick out what's where. For reference, I had six runs of knee to hip deep untracked in Eagle Wind when we dropped the rope last year - I am not nearly so gung-ho about charging in there first this year.

The Trees in Panoramic are solid right now as are the tres under the High Lonesome lift. The trees between the trails on Jane side and Winter Park side are in varying states of "Fine if you know exactly where to go, but keep speed in check" and "Bad Plan". Go slow and steady the first time through and you'll probably be okay. Always remember - the tracks in front of you only show that they got further, not that they got out!

Make sure you do Dilly Dally Alley at least once! The kids will love it. It's off of "Lonesome Whistle" below the "High Lonesome" Lift.

Shoot me a PM if you'd like to meet up.

Freaq

Pretends to be local
Skier
I heard *real* bony up top, real bony down bottom, and pretty nice in between on Friday/Sat... so I steered clear. :cool:

Which lines were open / did you ski?
We stayed skier's left of the lift, moving out a bit further each time, probably not as far as Medicine Man. It was def pick your way at the top under the lift but we cut left asap on runs 2-4. It was clear sailing down those long shots between trees. At the bottom where the trees get tight was again slow and careful. Yeah, not close to knee deep and surely not ready for full charge mode but beautiful it was. If it's open tomorrow, I'd go in again and hope they let us go farther toward Left Hand... but no doubt you're right to advise caution.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^^^ Really outstanding post by Magi. Mine was a drive-by response typed from work, forgetting that this is your first time at WP.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If your kids are still developing skills and working on green runs you will have a tough time on a snowboard. Maybe get some collapsible poles and stick them in a backpack.
Like the Black Diamond Compactors.

Dilly Dally Ally is a favorite with kids. Good warm up for the trees for you on a board. The stuff around there has some flats though. here is a random video from the web, not my kids in the video.

If they are ready for some trees and moguls, the stuff under Looking glass lift is short and wide-ish open, and can be lappped with no flats.

If they are ready for some blues, and there is some recent snow, try the Sunnyside lift at Mary Jane. It has some blue runs with bump options and tree and rock drop options for you right along the side. It’s still not very long, but again, no flats.

Corona way is marked blue, but is pretty easy, more green catwalk back soured the mountain. Problem is is you are on a board. You can do it, if you keep your speed up really high, but that would mean ditching your kids.

AFAIK there are no groomed black runs, and almost no groomed steep blues. Blue-black typically means blue steepness but ungroomed.

I love all the trees on Mary Jane face, from Trestle to rail bender. Yes they are tight, you wont be riding at ‘groomer speed’ but they are quite skiable.

Magi

Instructor
Instructor
AFAIK there are no groomed black runs, and almost no groomed steep blues. Blue-black typically means blue steepness but ungroomed.

I love all the trees on Mary Jane face, from Trestle to rail bender. Yes they are tight, you wont be riding at ‘groomer speed’ but they are quite skiable.

The generally groomed blue-black runs at WP would typically be Black runs at other resorts, the moguled blue-black runs would be blue.

Norwegian, Engledive skier's left, Bash skiers left, Little Pierre, and Hughes are all typically groomed regularly/semi-regularly, and plenty steep. Sleeper on the Mary Jane side is also often groomed.

TS
J

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
Thanks for the tips everyone. My son can ski pretty much everything at the WNY hills we go to.

Based on Magi's post it sounds like the F and G lots are where to go.

Skiing wise, as an initial plan, i was hoping to break away from our friends and head straight into the alpine on Parssen Bowl so my son can experience his first Rocky Mountain views right away. If he's a little intimidated by the size of everything, I'll give him some warm up laps down low first.

Edit: i forgot to mention, my son's friend is still a beginner as he hasn't skied much... hence the break away. He's a very good athlete though and will likely be ripping by the end of the trip.

Last edited: