• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
Yeah but the Rocky Mountains are just that: rocky. You can gouge up your bases pretty good skiing the steep stuff on only a 50" base.
I once hit a 61" rock protruding from a 60" base near the top of Upper Hughes.
Really, though, rocks are normally only a problem at WP/MJ mainly in the troughs between the moguls.

Don in Morrison

Skier
I'll be curious to hear what you think to see if we continue to have differing opinions on resorts. Be warned there are lots of flat spots on the Winter Park side of Winter Park.
I haven't found a way to get from the top of Super Gauge to Snoasis without traversing a flat spot.

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
Winter Park has lots of problem spots for skiers...for snowboarders, yikes!

Here are the notable bad spots:
1) The absolute worst is High Lonesome Trail which actually goes uphill for quite a ways with no ability to generate much speed beforehand.
2) Trying to get on the Zephyr lift after coming down any trail other than Lower Hughes.
3) Vazquez Ridge...Wagon Trail and Big Valley are almost completely flat.
4) Top of Mary Jane...big area where 3 main lifts converge, but getting around to the various trails (or the restaurant) is a chore.
5) Corona Way
6) High Lonesome area in general...the lift is long, yet it only rises 770 feet vertically.

Mary Jane and Parsenn Bowl are where you will want to be.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I ordered the Route 40 4-pack yesterday. I'm already getting excited. I'll be watching Steamboat and WP videos on YouTube with my son for the next 4 months until we go.

late Jan should be fine at Steamboat. I used to hit early Feb and noted Jan weather as typically favorable. Now skiing there mid Jan and last two years good.

Of course one can hit a dry spell which I've seen a few times in last 15 yrs but that can be anywhere.

check out the resorts post for steamboat ... @Ron is gathering interest in those wanting a general tour of the mountain

Reactions: Ron
TS
J

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
I'll be curious to hear what you think to see if we continue to have differing opinions on resorts. Be warned there are lots of flat spots on the Winter Park side of Winter Park.

What do you think of Snowbird, Brighton, Snowbasin, and Solitude? Those would be my top 4 resorts anywhere in that order. Initially Utah was the plan for this year, but our friends who are casual skiers weren't as much into the stay in SLC and travel to the mountains routine. They're more into the whole resort scene and CO is far more recognizable as a ski destination than UT.

In CO, Copper is my favourite. I only have one day there, and snow conditions weren't great... but the cruising off the Super Bee chair was awesome. I liked Loveland as it seemed to have good tree skiing, and the fall line was reasonably steep off most lifts.

I did all the Vail resorts 12 years ago, and liked Vail, though my preferences in a mountain have changed a lot since then.

All things considered, Highlands and Snowmass were okay, but they aren't Utah. It might be that i expected more based on the glowing reviews on the old site. And of you still recall... I really don't like the 1%er vibe in Aspen.

A Basin was another place that disappointed based on the reviews. Other than the Palavinci lift... which had terribly long lift lines, the other lifts are too slow and too low angle.

I'm guessing if the snow is decent or better, and the tree skiing is what it's reported to be, I'll have fun with the Route 40 resorts. This is not my typical guys trip, as we'll have kids, so things will be tamer than usual anyhow. Hopefully the flats don't get the best of me. My son does have the tendency to slow down at exactly the wrong times, meaning i have to kill my speed and wait for him to catch up. I'll be reading him the riot act if he holds me up too often.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
What do you think of Snowbird, Brighton, Snowbasin, and Solitude? Those would be my top 4 resorts anywhere in that order.

Snowbird and Snowbasin would be in my Top 5. I love Mineral Basin. I love the steep groomers at both places. I love the Strawberry area at Snowbasin. Brighton and Solitude wouldn't crack my Top 20 (though I've been told I need to give Brighton another chance). Copper Mountain would probably my favorite of the "close to Denver" places, but can't touch Snowmass or Highlands as far as available terrain is concerned. I know that price is important to you and Utah simply can't be beat in that regard, especially if you are staying in Salt Lake City.

TS
J

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
I know that price is important to you and Utah simply can't be beat in that regard, especially if you are staying in Salt Lake City.

From where we are it will cost a good $300 more in flights for my son and i to get to SLC vs DEN. The SLC areas don't offer any pack products, and the Superpass isn't a deal anymore. Daily lift ticket prices have gone up close to 10% a year... So even if you go to the ski shops it's $80-90 a day vs $219 for the Route 40 pack. Also, the price on the decent hotels have crept up. Last year, the 2.5 star Crystal Inn was over $100. I can stay at a comparable hotel in the Steamboat and WP area for the same price.

I remember when i started going to SLC, flights were $200, i could get a nice room off Priceline for $30/night and lift tickets were $50-60 at the ski shops. It was comparable in price to an eastern trip.

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
Not considering the cost of flights, the general rule for the "cost" of ski resorts (lift tickets, lodging, rentals, food) here in the U.S. has always been:

Colorado and California ($$$) > Wyoming ($$) > Utah ($)

There are some exceptions to that general rule and one of those exceptions has always been WINTER PARK. Just last year, I paid $179 for a 4-day lift pass, rented demo skis for $30/day, and had very affordable lodging (albeit, in Fraser). I would have paid well more than double for all of those things at Vail or Aspen and would have paid considerably more even slumming out of SLC while hitting the in-town discount shops for lift tickets and rentals there. Winter Park is probably the most affordable major U.S. ski resort. But the dark side of that benefit is the crowding that does occur as a result of the affordability (not to mention the proximity to Denver).

Steamboat is nice and somewhat unique as a Colorado ski mountain. It has a few bottleneck issues (gondola in the morning, Sunshine area after 11:00), but offers enjoyable terrain of different types with lots of opportunity to hit up the trees.

TS
J

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
We
Not considering the cost of flights, the general rule for the "cost" of ski resorts (lift tickets, lodging, rentals, food) here in the U.S. has always been:

Colorado and California ($$$) > Wyoming ($$) > Utah ($)

There are some exceptions to that general rule and one of those exceptions has always been WINTER PARK. Just last year, I paid $179 for a 4-day lift pass, rented demo skis for $30/day, and had very affordable lodging (albeit, in Fraser). I would have paid well more than double for all of those things at Vail or Aspen and would have paid considerably more even slumming out of SLC while hitting the in-town discount shops for lift tickets and rentals there. Winter Park is probably the most affordable major U.S. ski resort. But the dark side of that benefit is the crowding that does occur as a result of the affordability (not to mention the proximity to Denver).

Steamboat is nice and somewhat unique as a Colorado ski mountain. It has a few bottleneck issues (gondola in the morning, Sunshine area after 11:00), but offers enjoyable terrain of different types with lots of opportunity to hit up the trees.

We'll be going to WP likely on the Tuesday and Wednesday so hopefully crowds won't be an issue.

On that note, I'm considering booking hotels last minute to keep flexibility for driving conditions. Will the Steamboat and WP hotels be filled mid-week, or should we be able to find decent priced rooms with a day or two of notice?

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We

We'll be going to WP likely on the Tuesday and Wednesday so hopefully crowds won't be an issue.

On that note, I'm considering booking hotels last minute to keep flexibility for driving conditions. Will the Steamboat and WP hotels be filled mid-week, or should we be able to find decent priced rooms with a day or two of notice?

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We

gee, mobile device issue left me posting blank replies! .

but on topic, one reason it may be good to book a room now at least is Steamboat is that if going reg hotel, they generally won't get cheaper and less costly ones book up early. If they offer a cancellation policy, you can take advantage of that.

Location wise, cheaper mean driving or busing to the mountain. other than MLK weekend the end of Jan is low season for pricing.

You noted midweek for Winterpark, this true for Steamboat ... ?? MLK weekend is one I wouldn't recommend.

too, another consideration is doing Steamboat first, it's at ~6800 feet, 2000-2500 lower than WP which would allow you to acclimate and lower risk of altitude sickness.

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
We

Um. No, don't try this.

You're much better off doing the reverse - many places will let you cancel reservations within a few days.

Also check for multi-day stay requirements, although those usually apply to weekends.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
oh, @JoeSchmoe , I've the RMSP+ which if like years past will give me for Jan, 10 passes:

$79 (All Other Dates Except),
$89 (12/23/17 - 1/7/18, 1/13 - 1/15/18, and 2/17 - 2/19/18).

while not the cheapest, I don't ever use all of them so if you end up an extra day, I likely can send you a PDF of the coupons for use.

StuckonI70

Getting on the lift
Skier
Winter Park has lots of problem spots for skiers...for snowboarders, yikes!

Here are the notable bad spots:
1) The absolute worst is High Lonesome Trail which actually goes uphill for quite a ways with no ability to generate much speed beforehand.
2) Trying to get on the Zephyr lift after coming down any trail other than Lower Hughes.
3) Vazquez Ridge...Wagon Trail and Big Valley are almost completely flat.
4) Top of Mary Jane...big area where 3 main lifts converge, but getting around to the various trails (or the restaurant) is a chore.
5) Corona Way
6) High Lonesome area in general...the lift is long, yet it only rises 770 feet vertically.

Mary Jane and Parsenn Bowl are where you will want to be.

Add the Cirque & Eagle Wind exit trail, poling is required!
Argh, I hate Corona Way.
I did see in the WP master plan that Vasquez Ridge lift has a planned mid-station add, that would make that area ski so much better.

TS
J

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
oh, @JoeSchmoe , I've the RMSP+ which if like years past will give me for Jan, 10 passes:

$79 (All Other Dates Except),
$89 (12/23/17 - 1/7/18, 1/13 - 1/15/18, and 2/17 - 2/19/18).

while not the cheapest, I don't ever use all of them so if you end up an extra day, I likely can send you a PDF of the coupons for use.

Thanks for the offer. We'll be okay with the Route 40 packs. We'll probably do the first two days at WP and the last two at Steamboat.

TS
J

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
How about Village Way? It'd be nice for the boys to be able to do a top to bottom run, but the trail map looks like it could be seriously flat.

Don in Morrison

Skier
How about Village Way? It'd be nice for the boys to be able to do a top to bottom run, but the trail map looks like it could be seriously flat.
I haven't run the entire length of Village Way, but from the base of High Lonesome lift to where it intersects Cheshire Cat, it has a spot with a pretty shallow pitch, but not to the point of being a gravity well. From Cheshire Cat to where it crosses Phipps and Cranmer, it's not so bad. I don't know what it's like above the base of High Lonesome lift or below Cranmer. I've never been on that part.

There's a gravity well on Whistle Stop just before you get to the top of the Olympia Express lift.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Village Way is OK from the top. And well worth taking anyone low intermediate and above up for the views. There is a flat spot just above the top of High Lonesome where you might have to skate a little, but flat spots generally aren't that much of a bother. The Pano lift is pretty exposed and on a windy day, the ride can be a little chilly.

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
Guys, JoeSchmoe is a snowboarder...he won't have poles and he won't be skating. He'll be doing whatever it is that boarders do when faced with flat stretches. Village Way is okay at the top, but there are LOTS of flat stretches, some of which are traverses across runs that are not steep themselves. Village Way at the bottom (below Cranmer) is flat...crowded...slow...pretty much my least favorite thing to do when on a ski mountain. This reminds me of the other thing I strongly dislike about Winter Park as a ski resort -- CRISSCROSS CITY. There are so many runs that cross over other runs that it really can be a nightmare trying to figure out where you are and skiing through all the cross-traffic. The trail map looks bad, but it's even worse when you are on the mountain.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online