Colorado Winter Park Intel

Discussion in 'General Resort Discussion' started by JoeSchmoe, Aug 26, 2017.

1. mmascolino

mmascolino At the base lodge Skier

It also speaks somewhat to ability. I'm not a particularly strong tree skier...I'm not skilled enough and I am perhaps too cautious. As the angle of descent increases I certainly need more spacing to feel comfortable in a glade...otherwise I am surviving a run not skiing a run.

With that said I really, really enjoyed all the glades off of the Panoramic chair. My first time at Winter Park was this spring and i sent 2 days and 90% of our time was on Panoramic/Sunnyside/Super Gauge. For boarders or for those with a 7 year old skiier who is easily distracted, I wouldn't recommend Corona Way to get back to the base....way too flat.

2. Monique

Monique bounceswoosh Skier

I'll have to take your word for it! I've never skied Brighton or Snowbird. My theory is that if everything is available to be skied, someone's doing a lot of summertime work to clear the glades.

3. Jully

Jully Booting up Skier

That's what I've heard about Park City in Utah at least, so I imagine it is similar to Brighton and Sol. Cousin lives there and was under that impression. There are some areas that are barely skiable and clearly don't have summertime work done, but anywhere that flows nicely and skis cleanly was worked on at some point.

Monique likes this.
  4. JoeSchmoe

JoeSchmoe At the base lodge Skier

I think it partly has to do with the type of tree. I'm not a tree or plant expert, but the tall pines/spruces in Utah have bare trunks with a canopy over top that let in little to no sunlight. I imagine undergrowth would have a hard time getting established in that kind of environment.

5. Monique

Monique bounceswoosh Skier

Yeah, that could be. Anyway, there is tons of good marked and unmarked tree skiing in Colorado - but I have to agree it's not *every* stand of trees.

6. Magi

Magi Instructor Instructor

While I have no idea how big a difference 500 feet will make for your sleep. The rough math is you'll get ~2% more oxygen in fraser relative to staying in winter park / at the resort (14.8% vs 15.1%).

If you're going to stay in your condo when you aren't skiing - Fraser will be great. If you'd rather be adjacent to Idlewild Distillery, Hideaway Park brewery, and the restaurants - stay in Winter Park.

Our bus system is great, and the bus schedule is posted here: http://www.wpgov.com/264/Routes The winter schedule isn't up yet, but should run ~every 30m and take 20-30m to get to/from Fraser. depending on your loop. Very doable to get around using just the bus with some planning.

One advantage of staying in Winter Park proper is that the town runs a night shuttle that picks up and drops off door to door (think free uber with 2-4 minute response times after 5-6pm). The resort hotels also generally run a shuttle service.

WP has a *ton* of tree skiing. Everything between trails can be skied (given sufficient skill). Winter Park's trees are apex pine forest, and so have stellar flow, and little to no underbrush. We even have some great beginner tree areas. Snow quality is generally good to great in the trees (and all over the mountain) but you aren't going to regularly find 2-3 day old untouched powder stashes because all the locals love the trees too. :)

Mary Jane is basically entirely ungroomed, but we have some great black/blue-black terrain on the front side of WP off the Zephyr/Eskimo lifts that is regularly groomed (wholly or partially).

With a reasonably normal snow year - everything is open by end of Jan. I'll ski anything on the mountain with a 50"+ base.

The cirque is a great experience, but it is not a fast trip (I usually walk the 1.5 miles, takes about the same amount of time as waiting for the sled-cat). Seems that I do 1-2 trips to it, for 1-2 runs, a season on it. Don't bank on it being open. A much better bet are the Jane Chutes for steep.

pete and JoeSchmoe like this.
  7. Magi

While I'd agree with you for CO in general - I can't think of a set of trees in WP that can't be skied...

8. JoeSchmoe

This is all really good info... Thanks!!!

9. JoeSchmoe

Regarding the altitude, I've slept at Vail, Snowmass, and just under 8000ft in Arizona and had no issues. At Breckenridge and Keystone i could not get a good night's sleep no matter what I tried. I'm guessing my comfort zone is around 8500ft.

10. Magi

Then make sure you stay on the West side of route 40 - because a lot of the places you'd in rent in Fraser will be up a big hill on the east side, gaining you ~200 feet of altitude. :)

Happy to help.

11. Read Blinn

Read Blinn lakespapa Skier

A 50" base? Ah, the shameless luxury of western skiing. :D

Monique and LiquidFeet like this.
  12. Jerez

Jerez Getting off the lift Skier

:thumb: spot on

13. Chris Walker

Chris Walker Ullr Is Lord Skier

Yeah but the Rocky Mountains are just that: rocky. You can gouge up your bases pretty good skiing the steep stuff on only a 50" base.

Monique likes this.
  14. Magi

At Breck or certain parts of Copper/A-Basin - I worry about rocks due to base depth.

At Winter Park I haven't found rocks to be an issue. Windowmakers (sideways trees at shin/knee height) are my worry in trees (hence waiting for 50" base), I don't worry about rocks pretty much at all on/off piste at Winter Park. Our patrol is really good about marking areas that have rocks on piste, and our base is generally laid down over grass, not rock (caveat emptor on sections of the Jane).

15. Chris Walker

Chris Walker Ullr Is Lord Skier

The next time the base is 50", follow me. I'll show you where the unmarked rocks are. I seem to have a special talent for finding them.:(

Definitely less at WP than the other areas you mention. Not unheard of though in my experience.

16. pete

pete not peace but 2 Beers! Skier

Aside from higher altitude and more dining, Winter Park bus routes overlap a lot downtown so one can catch one every 10 to 15 min.

17. JoeSchmoe

How is Steamboat for coverage late January? I'm considering the Route 40 pass. Would probably do 2 days at WP followed by 2 Steamboat. Say Tues-Friday.

18. Magi

Going to/from downtown to the resort - absolutely. Any other route will be on an ~30m cycle.

On anything like a normal year, practically everything is open all over Colorado by late Jan.

19. JoeSchmoe

I ordered the Route 40 4-pack yesterday. I'm already getting excited. I'll be watching Steamboat and WP videos on YouTube with my son for the next 4 months until we go.

Monique and Chris Walker like this.
  20. Lofcaudio

Lofcaudio Booting up Skier

I'll be curious to hear what you think to see if we continue to have differing opinions on resorts. Be warned there are lots of flat spots on the Winter Park side of Winter Park.