• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Win on Sunday, Sell Skis on Monday! (The "prop or stunt" skis anyway lol)

Wolfski

Getting on the lift
Skier
Along with most others. Pretty standard operating procedure. Display what you hope to sell or market....it at least what your dealers have access to. Nothing to do with what's just been raced.

Would be pretty humorous to have Hirscher up there with his actual race setup, including not only the bindings, but the boots and the skis.

All marketing and advertising!!
Totally understand the moves, but to me it looked like the race binder was a different mfg than the pose set

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Along with most others. Pretty standard operating procedure. Display what you hope to sell or market....it at least what your dealers have access to. Nothing to do with what's just been raced.

Would be pretty humorous to have Hirscher up there with his actual race setup, including not only the bindings, but the boots and the skis.

All marketing and advertising!!

I dont know if you noticed but when they showed him waiting at the start with his tech, before he stepped into his skis, you could clearly see the Marker piston plate and binding!!

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Totally understand the moves, but to me it looked like the race binder was a different mfg than the pose set

Both Atomic. Both current pricducts. Race bindings gave bigger springs, higher DIN range, more metal. The podium bindngs "look nice"'with the Red ski. Lower DIN, lower price, stocked by most dealers.

I don't know the exact model details. No Ayomic products in our house {good products, just have other relationships..}

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I dont know if you noticed but when they showed him waiting at the start with his tech, before he stepped into his skis, you could clearly see the Marker piston plate and binding!!

I did and I was chuckling. As always. He's a good brand ambassador as he sells a lot of Atomic product, for sure. And he's dialed in with his various setups and skiing incredibly well.

We'll let the buying public draw their own conclusions, I guess. I've seen a lot of it pretty up close, sn recent years and I have been taken to the woodshed on here and in other forums for suggestion that it carries nice Atomic labeling, at the least.

Or at times, that nothing he uses is remotely like anybody could obtain in this county. Closest, I think might be his SG skis. Could probably get a pair "close" with some contacts and effort.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
On another front anyone notice that the bindings on MS skis change from the race to the podium
Pffft...that's nuthin'. Watch the beginning sequence of Hot Dog:The Movie, Harkin Banks (Robbie Huntoon--stunt skier) changes his skis/bindings numerous times in one run from the top of Squaw to the base. ;)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Both Atomic. Both current pricducts. Race bindings gave bigger springs, higher DIN range, more metal. The podium bindngs "look nice"'with the Red ski. Lower DIN, lower price, stocked by most dealers.

I don't know the exact model details. No Atomic products in our house {good products, just have other relationships..}
She is probably on the X20 in for DH and the "show" binding is the X12 on the Redster SL she is posing with. The X12 is basically the modern Neox 12, which is a fine binding.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
While we are on the "anorak" stuff, who else noticed that LV was running the older (I.e. Non-evo toe) head binding in the DH training...

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
While we are on the "anorak" stuff, who else noticed that LV was running the older (I.e. Non-evo toe) head binding in the DH training...
I noticed a lot of them, on both the women's and men's side. Same with old graphic skis in the speed events.

Wolfski

Getting on the lift
Skier
This is what I was referring too, Marker on the race ski and the Atomic in hand

Nothing to see here....keep moving please

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
This is what I was referring too, Marker on the race ski and the Atomic in hand

Nothing to see here....keep moving please

Yes, this is correct for hirscher. Well known that he has been using the marker set up for a few years. But MS that you talked about in your original post on this is on the atomic binding on her race ski, not marker

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Pffft...that's nuthin'. Watch the beginning sequence of Hot Dog:The Movie, Harkin Banks (Robbie Huntoon--stunt skier) changes his skis/bindings numerous times in one run from the top of Squaw to the base. ;)

Didn't they film a bunch of local Squaw guys in the same Harkin Banks outfit and then stitched the footage together?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Didn't they film a bunch of local Squaw guys in the same Harkin Banks outfit and then stitched the footage together?
I believe it was just Robbie. I will ask him. I know he was credited for the role.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I just witnessed the big switch a roo at the end of a Nordic event. Winner was kneeling on the ground next to his skis giving thanks and catching his breath.. In front of him were three identical pairs of podium skis that were the same brand as his own but not the same.. Someone walked up and snatched away the skis he had just stepped out of to collapse in a heap and recover.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I just witnessed the big switch a roo at the end of a Nordic event. Winner was kneeling on the ground next to his skis giving thanks and catching his breath.. In front of him were three identical pairs of podium skis that were the same brand as his own but not the same.. Someone walked up and snatched away the skis he had just stepped out of to collapse in a heap and recover.
There's few reason for this. First, race skis are full of markings (you are allowed to change only one ski during race, so skis are marked before start, and markings are checked in finish, so slowly your skis get worse then school book of super bored student :), and that certainly doesn't look good on tv. Next reason is, that in xc skis are way more important then in alpine. In alpine you can still win with basically wooden plank under the feet, while in xc you can't do anything with bad skis. Now if you will be dragging your good and fast skis (especially without transport wax on ptex) around during medal ceremony, interview, autograph signing and taking photos with kids, sooner or later something bad will happen to skis. And then there's third reason, once you finish race, there can be snow on skis, on classic races there's stick wax on bottom etc. Company's tech in finish area has new pair of perfectly clean, neatly tied together ski which he gives to racer, so everything looks nice on tv and photos. But contrary to alpine, skis in xc (including biathlon and nordic combined) are real race skis. They are not skis good enough to win WC on them, but they are race model, as in xc companies try to sell real race skis and not lower end models. There's difference between alpine and xc, as in alpine you will actually ski worse with real race ski then with lower end ski, unless you (your power and ski technique) are able to drive it, while in xc, you won't ski better with real race ski, but you also won't ski worse.. and you pay twice as much for race model then for lower end model, so all is good for ski company :D

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
Wow, just noticed at the end of the Men's Slalom that while holding up the fake skis - they just hold up one ski, not the pair. But what made it strange was that it had a ski strap on it. Just one ski...with a ski strap holding it together with a second invisible ski.

Sponsor

Staff online