• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Win on Sunday, Sell Skis on Monday! (The "prop or stunt" skis anyway lol)

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Did you notice that some companies, Head in particular, just use a single ski now on the podium rather than a pair!

Less weight! Easier to toss around.
It's also interesting that some ski companies want the case displayed more that the topsheets. Fischer was doing it with the Curv on podiums last season. The last time that Dominik Paris was in the podium, he had a 2019 model Nordica production race ski, which I assume will be pushing the Dobermann brand. Base is light colored and had the head of a Doberman, cartoon-like at the tip. Funny stuff.

Lot of effort to orchestrate this. A younger friend of mine did all of this "stuff" for Tomba back in the day. Had to get his boots off him, and hand him a current color Lange. Obviously hand him the production ski. Get the goggle strap positioned over his Adam's apple. And make sure to hand him nice Scott poles.

My friend got taken to the woodshed when Tomba hopped on a podium with his race boots...which were spray painted, with the paint worn off on the insides. Had his regular race poles. No big deal? Well, he had always used Gripon poles before signing his deal with Scott. And he much preferred the Gripon grip with it's platform. So, he hops on the podium, and all you see are royal blue poles, with yellow Gripon grips. Look like Gripons!! The Scott gang was not impressed. Nor were the Briko folks who no longer produced or sold the goggles around his neck. HaHa!

Guess that racer visibility and the direct line to product sales was greater back then!!

Bart Parnell

Getting on the lift
Pass Pulled
The best was a single ski with the Velcro® ski wrap tied around to add an additional logo.

It really bothers me to see them scratching up the $65 lenses of their goggles while horsing around, I know it's nothing but my frugal Dad showing.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
If you follow the cross-country events they change out the skis as well, especially Fisher Skis.

Muleski

Inactive
The best was a single ski with the Velcro® ski wrap tied around to add an additional logo.

It really bothers me to see them scratching up the $65 lenses of their goggles while horsing around, I know it's nothing but my frugal Dad showing.

Somewhere I have some "Podium Straps" make by LEKI. They are about 5" tall. The way the sit on a ski, they are wider than the topsheet. They have the LEKI logo on either end, vertically. Two loops to hold the poles.

Now they also need to coordinate where to place them so that the ski company AND LEKI were happy. More carrying poles these days.

Lenses? Got it. We used to have what I thought were a lot, a number of years ago. Kids were comp'd and they'd arrive in big numbers. Our kids were careful with them. Always had then protected in a backpack, etc.

So one year we have a helmet/goggle rep staying at our house during a big race series. He has a lot of athletes there. Some big WC skiers from USST and CAST. He had three trunks full of goggles and lenses. Leaves for the hill with a huge backpack every morning. Some goggles, mostly lenses. So his big athletes used a new lens for each race run!

Was thinking that hopefully there were no J4 parents watching, thinking this was essential! The parents in our house used to make them last for a long time. Like close to a decade! My Yankee roots.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
What are the odds that Atomic had "podium skis" ready to hand Ester Ledecka? Did she borrow Makeala's?

ester-ledecka-ftr_2ksglhhxzjxy1fjcd8fztl40a.jpg

Muleski

Inactive
Pretty sure Atomic had at least three pairs at the finish area of every race, just like Head and Rossi {actually Head uses single skis, Rossi uses a mix}, just in case. Leaders box to the podium.

Skier finishes, race skis come off the feet, they go to be measured. Athlete's tech then gets them back after that.

Do you think RC-S had his own "leader's ski" from Rossi for his time in the leaders chair in the GS? Kind of think Rossi has that contingency down. Since RC-S had never once seen the green light. They all do.

Thought we pretty much had realized "they were not Mikaela's skis...."

Two "journalists" jumped the gun and now that is legend. Even high control Eileen Shiffrin has said "No, not so much." Essentially probably would like to say STFU. Move on. The skis used by Ester had evidently never been skied by MS. Not in the summer, not in training. Not at all. And they certainly were not good skis that were "loaned." Thought that was clear by now.

There are always podium skis for Miki, and for ANY Atomic athlete. Pretty good odds, haha. Tough high pressure job, bring three pairs skis to finish. Hand to the right finish area FIS staff to hand to any of your athletes on podium. Or, no podiums...strap three pairs together and step back. Maybe her tech does bring a pair for her. But he would not have even been at the SG...

You could have one of the start jobs, providing hydration and coffee. Like the top of your job description! You might not even get to watch the monitor. Most of the big guns have team staff doing that. Years ago it was ski company guys. I had a friend who's pre-race job was having expresso for a couple of guys, and having the spot to "pump ship" scoped out. Before the facilities were not there....no ports potties, etc.

Bigger question for me, on the skis, is if Atomic determines they are in fact that fast {i.e. the skis were a big factor}, does the Atomic race department pull them back and redistribute them?

We'll see. Think MS will ski the DH? Think she'll race any speed through the end of the season?

Last edited:

Muleski

Inactive
Right now, she probably, based on today's news of her BF's being sent home by the French team, is standing by him as that is a weasely move. Read my comments on the other thread.

She has a friend's plane ready to leave as soon as she wants. Would not surprise me one bit if they both get out of there to get away together for a few days.

I don't think the combined is that big to her. And this DH hill does not play well to her, yet.

Drama. Too much. This five event thing was insane. She's cooked. Putting on a nice game face. Also would be my farm that things aren't go great in Team S.

We'll see. Nothing surprises me. April.....Matt and MS.....on a very private beach.

Last edited:

dj61

Getting on the lift
Skier
Right now, she probably, based on today's news of her BF's being sent home by the French team, is standing by him as that is a weasely move. Read my comments on the other thread.

She has a friends plane ready to leave as soon as she wants. Would not surprise me one bit if they both get out of there to get away together fit a few days.

I don't think the combined is that big to her. And this DH hill does not play well to her yet.

Drama. Too much. This five event thing was insane. She's cooked. Putting on a nice game face. Also would be my farm that things aren't go great in Team S.

We'll see. Nothing surprises me. April.....Matt and MS.....on a very private beach.
Well she was in the downhill training last night....

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I doubt she pulls out of the Combined (Downhill/Slalom) as she is a definite favorite to win it. She might pull out of the Downhill only though.
Just announced on NBC that MS will not ski the DH and focus on the Super Combined that has been moved up one day because of weather.

Muleski

Inactive
Just announced on NBC that MS will not ski the DH and focus on the Super Combined that has been moved up one day because of weather.

Just saying. That DH is not going to be easy for MS to do real well in. I think that is part of the decision. Well known that she likes/needs to be dialed in and comfortable. She sure as hell was bounced all over the place over the upper transition, badly, as one example. She's got her skis way up on edge and overskiing some turns. Not fast.

She's skiing the combined for now. At one point she was skiing the SG, then the DH, too.

We'll see. Lot going on. More than we may realize.

Wolfski

Getting on the lift
Skier
On another front anyone notice that the bindings on MS skis change from the race to the podium

Muleski

Inactive
On another front anyone notice that the bindings on MS skis change from the race to the podium

Along with most others. Pretty standard operating procedure. Display what you hope to sell or market....it at least what your dealers have access to. Nothing to do with what's just been raced.

Would be pretty humorous to have Hirscher up there with his actual race setup, including not only the bindings, but the boots and the skis.

All marketing and advertising!!

Sponsor