• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Why you need a boot fitter.

TS
KingGrump

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tricia ! We have some Dress This Mess clients here in @surfsnowgirl and @Sandy_NYC ! They admit to dressing like boarders! This requires professional help!

Sandy has started back tracking on the path of no return with the help of Mamie & Stephanie. Picked up a bright yellow fitted jacket that earned the stamp of approval from my gay eye. She just needs to get a new credit card with thicker plastic prior to shopping with those two again.

@KingGrump , what do they do with the boot pile? Do they resell, re-use, recycle, etc? Seems like a shame to just toss 'em and leave 'em.

Thems are Vermonter. They have their way of doing thing. Think of it as head on a pike at the city gate.

Sandy_NYC

Getting off the lift
Skier
Sandy has started back tracking on the path of no return with the help of Mamie & Stephanie. Picked up a bright yellow fitted jacket that earned the stamp of approval from my gay eye. She just needs to get a new credit card with thicker plastic prior to shopping with those two again.

Oh my gosh it was an expensive weekend indeed! I am happy with my purchases though.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I look like a boarder half the time because I used to be one as I don't think you can take that out of me. I've recently bought a board and plan to ski and board this coming winter so I guess I'll fit in a little more, maybe........... ;)

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
When, on the rare occasion that I pay attention to what people are wearing, I observe no difference in attire between snowboarders and new schoolers, other than what is on their feet.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
KingGrump

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh......I thought that was @KingGrump’s and Mamie’s back yard.

That's the graveyard for unfit ski boots at Startingate. The one in my back yard are for unfit skiers. :cool::D

green26

Putting on skis
Skier
View attachment 32035 Here I am with the Hill of Unfit Boots

So sad, the graveyard for unwanted, yet sentient toys that will never be played with again. Sigh. Hmm. maybe if the pile gets big enough, it could be skied down, like rock skiing. Sorry - I'm trying to escape from my job at the moment. Plus it's really hot here in Southern CA so I'm a bit melancholy.

DaveM

Putting on skis
Skier
I did a boot fit with @DaveM a few years ago and was greeted with a similar sight -- i.e., there was enough room back there for my hand, not just "two fingers". I told him to toss those worthless things and go see somebody who knew what they were doing.

Maybe he'll come in here to comment on his before and after experiences...

I hope @Sandy_NYC doesn't have too many pairs of skis that need to be remounted...

@KingGrump , what is SVT? Southern Vermont? Who do you go see there?

Kevin, Thank You very much for mentioning my experience.
Oh, yes, the shop that I first went to for ski boots was not very attentive - I fit myself - Tecnica Phenix 80's, as I remember; that was Nov. 2010. Those boots started feeling loose during my second season with them. I met @KevinF during a weekend ski trip and discussed it with him. Thank G-d! His friends recommended a very good bootfitter for me. Phil Burgess and his assistants, Gerhard (Austrian) and Lance (if I remember correctly), did an excellent job, properly fitting me into Atomic Burner 110's, with the "Instaprint" custom footbeds. What a huge step up - this really helped me improve my skiing. Unfortunately, drying the boots too close to the fireplace [a Taos S. V. story...] led to a footbed shrinking. So, before the next season, Gerhard fit me into a new set of the Instaprints, and optimized the boot fit, again - he stretched a certain spot of the boot, eliminating a "pressure point". Phil has since sold his [The Ski Stop] business to Boston Ski and Tennis, and as of this writing, is their lead bootfitter. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, if there's one thing you really spend money on, for ski equipment, please invest in a good-quality boot fit. I view this as an Investment in Safety [and Fun]. Well-fit boots help you to really enjoy a good, long ski day - and successive, good, long ski days become a wonderful ski vacation!

Marty McSly

Getting off the lift
Skier
I asked her "first pair?"
She said "Yes."
I said "Too Big."
This.

The first rental boots I could ski all day were 30.5's.

The first boots I had fitted by a bootfitter were 28.5's.

I later bought a pair of high volume Tecnicas in 27.5, which were good for about 3 years before they started to hurt.

I'm now down to 26.5's. And a different bootfitter.

SallyCat

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have Hawx Ultras and ZIpFit liners, which allowed me to size down and take up some ankle volume so that my boots fit really, really well. Thing is, I'm still an intermediate skier, so I always feel as though I have to apologize for having fancy, expensive gear (the ZipFits). I feel like those things talk a talk that my limited skills can't walk. It does motivate me to work hard though; to be worthy of my gear someday and not feel like a fraud. :crossfingers:

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I have Hawx Ultras and ZIpFit liners, which allowed me to size down and take up some ankle volume so that my boots fit really, really well. Thing is, I'm still an intermediate skier, so I always feel as though I have to apologize for having fancy, expensive gear (the ZipFits). I feel like those things talk a talk that my limited skills can't walk. It does motivate me to work hard though; to be worthy of my gear someday and not feel like a fraud. :crossfingers:

I think if 99% of us are being honest... very few of us have come anywhere close to the real performance limitations of any modern sports gear. But it's fun to own.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer

The top notch skiers are capable of making almost anything work for them, not so much for an intermediate , so you should get the best equipment that you can afford and it will make your skill progression quicker and easier. Too many skiers sell themselves short and then cheap out on equipment .:nono:

TS
KingGrump

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Never have to apologize for having good gear. Good gear allows us to move forward and facilitate our improvements.
Just be careful of gear that are too advanced on the performance level. Like skis and boots that are too stiff. Those have a tendencies to retard our improvements.

Sponsor

Staff online