• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Why you need a boot fitter.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Went to see my boot fitter in SVT for new boots for both my niece and myself over the past weekend. @Sandy_NYC hitched a ride with us since she also wanted new boots.
Did a shell check with her old boots when we arrived in VT on Friday night. I have read here folks use a 1/2" dowel to measure the space behind the heel for a proper fit. Well, I could have gone down to the basement and get a dowel large enough to measure that space. But I know I didn't have any 11/4" closet rod down there. The closet rod would have comfortably fitted in there with room to spare. I figured the gap to be about 35 to 37 mm.

Shell check with the old boot.

IMG_20171022_183211.jpg

On Saturday morning, I told Sandy not to bring the old boot to the shop. They would laughed way too hard for them to properly focus on her new boots. They would probably just open the window in the boot loft and toss it onto the pile outside. (Sandy posed with the used boot pile after getting her new boots.)

It was a good weekend for everyone. Sandy got new foot beds and boots. Topped it off with a Booster strap. She ended with a Atomic Ultra 80 in a 22.5 heat molded to her feet. A drastic right sizing down from her old 25.5 sized Salomon.

New vs old.

IMG_20171022_183341.jpg

Looks like she is all set to go. Just needed some snow.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I did a boot fit with @DaveM a few years ago and was greeted with a similar sight -- i.e., there was enough room back there for my hand, not just "two fingers". I told him to toss those worthless things and go see somebody who knew what they were doing.

Maybe he'll come in here to comment on his before and after experiences...

I hope @Sandy_NYC doesn't have too many pairs of skis that need to be remounted...

@KingGrump , what is SVT? Southern Vermont? Who do you go see there?

TS
KingGrump

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
She had to remount her bindings. Usually 10 to 15 mm change is max.

Yup, SVT is Southern Vermont. To me Killington is the northern edge of SVT.
Gary Longley at Startingate in Bondville.
Been my fitter for 39 years.

Sandy_NYC

Getting off the lift
Skier
Thanks to @KingGrump and Gary Langley I now have boots that finally fit. My feet were definitely sliding around in my old pair of boots.

@KevinF I only have one pair skis that needed a bindings remount. See you in Stowe this season?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Went to see my boot fitter in SVT for new boots for both my niece and myself over the past weekend. @Sandy_NYC hitched a ride with us since she also wanted new boots.
Did a shell check with her old boots when we arrived in VT on Friday night. I have read here folks use a 1/2" dowel to measure the space behind the heel for a proper fit. Well, I could have gone down to the basement and get a dowel large enough to measure that space. But I know I didn't have any 11/4" closet rod down there. The closet rod would have comfortably fitted in there with room to spare. I figured the gap to be about 35 to 37 mm.

Shell check with the old boot.

View attachment 31954

On Saturday morning, I told Sandy not to bring the old boot to the shop. They would laughed way too hard for them to properly focus on her new boots. They would probably just open the window in the boot loft and toss it onto the pile outside. (Sandy posed with the used boot pile after getting her new boots.)

It was a good weekend for everyone. Sandy got new foot beds and boots. Topped it off with a Booster strap. She ended with a Atomic Ultra 80 in a 22.5 heat molded to her feet. A drastic right sizing down from her old 25.5 sized Salomon.

New vs old.

View attachment 31955

Looks like she is all set to go. Just needed some snow.
The ole "one fist fit". Not just a 25.5 to 22.5...a big 25.5 to a short 22.5.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I unwittingly walked into a "Why you need a bootfitter"moment today at work. A co-worker was asking me some questions about ski gear for the whole family and I found myself telling him that he really needs to get some well-fit boots, whether cheap or expensive.. :huh:

TS
KingGrump

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We were kidding Sandy about doing a 360 inside those boots.

I remembered she asked me about her boots a few weeks ago at the NYC gathering. She thought they may be too big.
I asked her "first pair?"
She said "Yes."
I said "Too Big."
She said "How do you know?"
I said " I know."

I knew it would be big but I didn't know it was presidentially YUUUUUGE.

TS
KingGrump

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I unwittingly walked into a "Why you need a bootfitter"moment today at work. A co-worker was asking me some questions about ski gear for the whole family and I found myself telling him that he really needs to get some well-fit boots, whether cheap or expensive.. :huh:

A good fitting pair of boot will actually work out to be less expensive. I believe there is another thread on a high instep boot where the OP is on his third pair of boot in two seasons. Ouch. Not only on the feet but also in the wallet. Penny wise, pound foolish.

I believe Sandy paid a bit over $600 for the boot, new foot bed, alignment work & booster strap. She is pretty much set for 6 to 8 years, at least. Best thing is there is a fit guarantee that goes with all that.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I will never forget my first pair of ski boots, too big by my former boot fitter. The liner in my right foot crunched my toe, I've never experienced such pain in my life, tears as I was trying to get down the mountain and into the ski shop.

TS
KingGrump

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I will never forget my first pair of ski boots, too big by my former boot fitter. The liner in my right foot crunched my toe, I've never experienced such pain in my life, tears as I was trying to get down the mountain and into the ski shop.

Thus the "Former" tag.

TS
KingGrump

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Only one pair of skis? You're allowed to hang out here? :huh:

We'll try to remedy the deficiency with Sandy if we get together in Dec.
We did spent a good part of the weekend finding pieces to eradicating her propensity of dressing like a boarder. Patience.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
@KingGrump , what do they do with the boot pile? Do they resell, re-use, recycle, etc? Seems like a shame to just toss 'em and leave 'em.

Sponsor