• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Why I hate Sonny Bono

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
I wear one cause told the wife I would. Do they make us safer, I doubt it; they sure are a nice profit center for the helmet manufacturers though.

Thing it does best is save the head from those folks that drop the safety bar without warning anyone.

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think the X-Factor to this discussion are the out of control/limit pushing nitwits who think they are invincible (helmet or no). I don't worry about me skiing alone on a trail without a helmet, I worry about me being on a trail (doing whatever) with nitwits and me without a helmet.

Last edited:

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
This reminds me of those “like if you survived......” memes on FB. Riding in the back of pick up trucks, not wearing seat belts, riding bikes without helmets, even drinking water from a hose.

Not all survived.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thing it does best is save the head from those folks that drop the safety bar without warning anyone.

Funny, it seems we never got hit on the head before we started wearing helmets!! :P

antigonowhere

Booting up
Skier
You can draw your own conclusions from the link: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3989528/

Anything that has even the potential to reduce my harm at a low cost is worth it, to me. I won't judge those who don't wear helmets, but I do wonder about them and their primary motivation for it. I don't go right to engaging in a conversation about it, but if it comes up I always make a point to ask.

So what is the OPs primary motivation for not wearing one?

I can only infer that the belief is that since it has never happened to them, and with a combination of experience and skill, that it will not happen to them. But I'll wait for their answer.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I grew up riding bicycles sans helmet, crashed a LOT
I climbed a few trees, fell out of a couple
Grew up not wearing seatbelts

Was I safer back then? Certainly not.

I will say as a newbie, I have never skied without a helmet, but I do know that it keeps my ears warm.

I do enough dumb stuff, so I may as well try to be safe while being stupid

antigonowhere

Booting up
Skier
I could quote the hierarchy of hazard controls, or dive into the behaviour and culture that has been changing over the years - and the OP certainly alludes to the culture when he mentions feeling shamed for not wearing a lid (not the approach I would take, but meh)

However, the above quote does this the most justice.

Be safe while being stupid.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I only owned a helmet because they were required for some summer camp I attended years ago (try finding a helmet in July that fits, it's in the warehouse behind all the boots). I always said some spring day I'd take it off to enjoy the wind in my hair. Fortunately I didn't and am still here today. Huge believer in helmets now. Ten years afterwards.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Is it just me or do your glasses fog worse with a helmet on?

That is the #1 thing I like least about wearing a helmet. :(
Think about it. The helmet keeps your head warmer than any hat. It's just way more windproof. So, the likelihood of your face getting sweaty increases especially with exertion. So, if your face is sweating, your goggles are going to fog. So you better unzip those pitzips before hitting those trees, even if it's in the single digits.

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
You can draw your own conclusions from the link: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3989528/

Anything that has even the potential to reduce my harm at a low cost is worth it, to me. I won't judge those who don't wear helmets, but I do wonder about them and their primary motivation for it. I don't go right to engaging in a conversation about it, but if it comes up I always make a point to ask.

So what is the OPs primary motivation for not wearing one?

I can only infer that the belief is that since it has never happened to them, and with a combination of experience and skill, that it will not happen to them. But I'll wait for their answer.
That's a nice review article, but truthfully some of their conclusions have holes in them big enough to drive a Mack truck through (and I'm good with helmet use).

antigonowhere

Booting up
Skier
Agreed. I think many more years of study are going to be needed, and it's not exactly easy to nail down given the variety of parameters that go into each and every injury.:huh:

James

Out There
Instructor
Plenty of people teaching would still be in hats if not for required to wear a helmet.

dsc_5755.jpg
Swiss Guide.
Common headwear. With the French too. Air bag, crampons, harness, shovel, probe, beacon, rope, hat, headband. (I'm assuming they carry a full hat too. Could be wrong)

Status
Not open for further replies.