• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Midwest Whitecap lifts

TS
ED Post

ED Post

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Some of the employees are paid with a room in the hotel to stay in in addition to a small wage. There really aren't many employees. At times there is only one lift operator at the top watching three lifts! It is well known that much of the "cash" is pocketed. Last I was told was that the employees were given checks but could only cash them at the WC office. Im sure that Dave L has taken cash out of there over the years and it has been told that he has had to reach into his "private pot" at times. Just a sickening situation.

TS
ED Post

ED Post

Skier
WC has hands down the best terrain in the Midwest. It's sad that they don't promote it. They don't really want to deal with snowboarders, cc skiers, snowmobilers or atv people. It could be a great facility but has to be in new hands. Dave L grooms during the day, gets mad at skiers when they "are in his way" and stops by the Winehut to get a cup of wine to drink while he grooms! Absolutely no regard for safety!

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
If everyone knew what I know you wouldn't ski there. Why do you think I don't?

Do you have property on the hill? If you don't ski there, how did you see the chairs fall off.

I understand that they have issues but I don't want this thread/forum to a bashing zone for them or any other resort.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Do you have property on the hill? If you don't ski there, how did you see the chairs fall off.

I understand that they have issues but I don't want this thread/forum to a bashing zone for them or any other resort.

Agreed but I think if there are serious safety concerns pointing those out to other posters here isn't a bad idea. Place sounds downright dangerous potentially.

TS
ED Post

ED Post

Skier
I was there staying with friends for a few days. It is not my intention to bash at all. I just want everyone to be aware of the situation there. I wouldn't want my kids on a lift that hasn't had proper maint. People need to be aware. Put the lift situation aside for a minute. Do you want to be skiing while there is a groomer out and the operator is drinking wine and yelling at people because they are in his way? These things need to be pointed out.

TS
ED Post

ED Post

Skier
Just to let you know................The long lift at Whitecap has been locked out for the season by the inspectors. The quad lift is down until the inspectors return for another inspection. It makes you wonder about the rest of the lifts there. They are currently using snowmobiles and tow ropes to move people from lift to lift. Still charging full price!

TS
ED Post

ED Post

Skier
Yes. That is the end result.

Gentry

Booting up
Skier
I hope that means a marketing budget so they can throw that current website in the trash and build a new one.

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
The new team has definitely been more social media friendly right now.

I see all the lifts are now running. Hope they can make good progress this summer and open for next season.

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just an FYI. Whitecap is now under new management.
This is good news. The new owner has all lifts open again which is also a good sign. Hopefully the ski area will persist for many years.

TS
ED Post

ED Post

Skier
I hope that means a marketing budget so they can throw that current website in the trash and build a new one.
A new website is being worked on as we speak. It will take a bit but the wait will be worth it!

TS
ED Post

ED Post

Skier
The new team has definitely been more social media friendly right now.

I see all the lifts are now running. Hope they can make good progress this summer and open for next season.
They will be open next season. Watch for a new marketing announcement this week!

TS
ED Post

ED Post

Skier
This is good news. The new owner has all lifts open again which is also a good sign. Hopefully the ski area will persist for many years.
Kudos to the mechanics at Whitecap. They pulled together under tremendous pressure to get things running!

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight