• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Where did you start skiing?

• Ski Area/feeder hill

Votes: 142 78.9%
  • Destination Resort

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • Other (back yard, ski deck, ect)

Votes: 13 7.2%

• Total voters

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Interesting topic, my story is a bit different. I always loved watching skiing in movies, but was not able to do it due to my job. I just could not take a chance on getting injured, and back then I was a serious adrenaline junkie so I knew it was not a good idea. Fast forward to I still can't really afford to get injured but I have (in my opinion) become more sensible with my activities. In June of '15 @Mrs. 53 and I too a weeklong trip to the Pacific Northwest, Equestrian wine tours in Oregon, then Floatplane adventures out of Vancouver that included a day in Whistler. Well, we were doing the mountain to mountain gondola and I am talking all of this in and I am thinking WOW!!!!! I start to mention I might like to do this. Betsy skied her whole childhood, but took a couple of long breaks, one due to work, the other when she married a non-skier :doh::huh:. So when I mentioned that I would be willing to try it out, she was all for it. So that winter we went to Deer Valley, her long time favorite ski destination, and I was underwhelmed but had fun. So in essence, the trip summer to Whistler got me started, Deer Valley was my first time on skis, but a '17 trip to Andalo, Italy was when I got it, meaning decided this was something for me!

Yuzawa Shin Nihon (now called Yuzawa Park) in March 1981, pretty interesting for only 210 meters of vertical.
http://www.snowjapan.com/japan-ski-resorts/niigata/yuzawa/yuzawa-park
Back then it was 3.5 hours by limited express (now, 70 mins by bullet train), or a five-hour drive up on a late Friday night with the return Sunday evening taking upwards of seven hours (225km mostly on 2-lane blacktop, or 160km as the crows fly). Expressway now, but I'd bet it would still be close to five hours coming back on a Sunday night.
Tokyo traffic is horrendous!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Caberfae Peaks!
15338657_10153916792222257_7099296531312950556_n.jpg

erdz

Booting up
Skier
Cabin Mt West Virginia in 1959 - the ski club of Wasington DC had a rope tow there. It is now Chip Chase's Whitegrass xc area

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
First time on handle tow at Ski Las Vegas. Next tries were at Mt. Baldy. Mt. Baldy fits the profile for being a local convenient hill, but it was wildly inappropriate for a beginner. Only 4 years after I started there was I good enough to appreciate its terrain quality.

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
I was moving from Jupiter FL out to the west coast and stopped in Aspen for a few days in the summer of 81 ended up staying there for 3 years. Back then Highlands was the locals mountain and ski corp owned Ajax, Snowmass, and Buttermilk. I was ruined for life.......

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
First season - back yard - a few days later Craigmeur, NJ. After a skiing a few times at Craigmeur, we tool a week vacation in Tupper Lake, NY, and skied at Big Tupper.
I was hooked early, age 4.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Iowa!
Our City.jpg

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Heavenly Valley - first season pass. $50.
My first pass at Heavenly was when I was a high school senior and it cost $100. I finished classes in December and got enough use of pass to come out ahead.

Heavenly was the first place I skied, probably in Spring 1963 although it may have been '62. At the time, I don't think it was a destination resort as it was probably only three chairs and the tram. I don't think they had Sky chair then and know they did not have lifts in Nevada. We had tried to go to Tahoe for New Year's and didn't make it. We spent 21 hours in the car due to Echo Summit being closed due to avalanche.

While a lot of people have problems with Heavenly, they had a lot of good days this year and ran lifts two weeks later that Kirkwood. Heavenly also seems to get the most destination visitors as I have shared more lifts there with people from other states and countries than at other Tahoe ski areas.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
I just posted about this in the "how old" thread.

My very first day on skis was at a very small hill near our house. We side stepped up and had enough vert for one turn. Climb up and turn right, then climb up and turn left. Good way to understand edge control!

In my first season, we also had season passes to Banff Mount Norquay. It markets itself as a destination resort, but is really more of a family/local/feeder hill.

Sponsor