• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Where and When Did You Learn to Ski?

JellyBear

Booting up
Skier
49 Degrees North, in Estern Washington 1980. Pulled an old RV up to the parking lot for my high school years, lived in the parking lot for three winters. What a great place, word had it the now have a lift to what was OB back in the day

CrystalRose

Putting on skis
Skier
@CrystalRose
I am about the same place as you at this point, but older :) And like you I am getting boots in December. Do yourself a favor, read Inner Skiing by Timothy Galloway. It is a great insight into learning, and should help you improve at a faster pace. It made a huge difference to my Golf in the late 70's early 80's. Back then there was no Inner Game of Golf, we just used the Inner Game of Tennis and adapted it to golf.

My goals are to just be able to ski well enough to ski with my wife..... some of the time :)

Thanks for the suggestion! I just bought "Breaking Through on the New Skis" by Lito Tejada-Flores and "Skiing and the Art of Carving" by Mike Porter. I'm hoping it will supplement any lessons I take.

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
I'm thinking 1977?? My family was not well off for the first 10 years or so of my existence. Around age 12 stuff started coming together. My mom was taken skiing with a group from her work and she decided that it was a life experience that I needed when I was about 13. There was a cousin staying with us that next winter so he was swept up in the tide that was the Mother when she decided that something was going to happen. Later on in life anyone in charge of anything she wanted to make happen tended to hide, because if she cornered them in their office, they WOULD be assisting or funding the plan.

It was Big Boulder in PA. She got us rental skis and a lesson. Went a few times between then and 16. When I was able to drive, Elk Mt (PA) was the closest to me and they had night skiing for 8 bucks. That was about 40 years ago now and I still ski, and I am pretty sure my cousin does also. Thanks Mom.

skichickee

Chaser of Lil' Rippers
Skier
In 2005 at the age of 27 at Mt. Hood Meadows.

My expert skier husband who grew up skiing in OR talked me into taking a short vacation to OR and try out skiing (we were living in AZ at that time). He was wise in directing me to take lessons rather than risk marital discord by him teaching me. So many times since then have I been thankful that I took those lessons. Not because he wouldn't have been a good instructor, but because it was helpful to watch other adults learn to ski alongside me. I learned so much simply observing.

I was especially grateful hubby was there to get me started, I didn't even have a clue as to how to put the skis on and the whole rental process would have felt like a nightmare without his help and moral support. Once we picked up all the rental gear, he showed me how to put the skis on and take them off, how to stand on my skis with them perpendicular to the fall line, and briefly how to duck walk and side step. I think he attempted trying to get me to skate on my skis on the flat parts with not even a hint of success, that was way above my ability level at that moment!

My lesson started with about 5 other beginner adult skiers and a super friendly and patient female instructor. We started on the rope tow, where getting up proved super tricky at first. It all seemed like too much to be able to handle being such a newby. Just tucking my poles under my arms and staying up on my feet seemed a huge feat, let alone doing with while leaning over and slowly clamping onto the rope tow for an unsteady ride. At one point I watched a snowboarder from another class come up to use the rope tow and at once felt envious of them having the freedom of no poles - until I watched them grab hold of the cable, swing under it and land on their butt. I watched several more do this and was immediately glad I chose to learn to ski and not snowboard. ;)

We learned the basics, (different wording than my kids were taught with, maybe they think it's demeaning to adults to teach them using food analogies)? We made lots of turns in wedges and even made a few with skis parallel, then off to Buttercup chairlift we went. I went down with my class about 4-5 times and my instructor let me loose with my husband as my new guide. I had a great time that day skiing with him on the bunny hill and even the next chair up (can't recall the name of that one). The weather was not exactly desirable with very wet snow all day (yep, even wet by our PNW standards). I remember wringing out my braid in the lodge at the end of the day when my husband looked at me and said "Well, if you truly liked skiing in this wet weather all day, there's lots of potential in you becoming a skier."

Bskier

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Mt Buller Australia: 1985-1986 - learned I loved it (but not the co$t)
Pajarito New Mexico: 1987-1990 best little hill I've ever skied
Alta Utah: 1988 - until I drop ...
Special thanks to Chris Benchetler

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
In 1972, I asked my parents to let me join Rod Roy ski club in Montreal, Quebec. Truth be told, I joined because the cute boys were members. I have no idea how many of them still ski, but I developed a lifetime habit of dating ONLY guys who skied. I lucked out in 1995 and married my lifetime ski partner!

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
In 1972, I asked my parents to let me join Rod Roy ski club in Montreal, Quebec. Truth be told, I joined because the cute boys were members. I have no idea how many of them still ski, but I developed a lifetime habit of dating ONLY guys who skied. I lucked out in 1995 and married my lifetime ski partner!

You know that SkiBam teaches for them.....

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm thinking 1977?? My family was not well off for the first 10 years or so of my existence. Around age 12 stuff started coming together. My mom was taken skiing with a group from her work and she decided that it was a life experience that I needed when I was about 13. There was a cousin staying with us that next winter so he was swept up in the tide that was the Mother when she decided that something was going to happen. Later on in life anyone in charge of anything she wanted to make happen tended to hide, because if she cornered them in their office, they WOULD be assisting or funding the plan.

It was Big Boulder in PA. She got us rental skis and a lesson. Went a few times between then and 16. When I was able to drive, Elk Mt (PA) was the closest to me and they had night skiing for 8 bucks. That was about 40 years ago now and I still ski, and I am pretty sure my cousin does also. Thanks Mom.
I remember Elk Night Tickets were only $8.00, Camelback was either $11 or $12 ar the time. We would load up a car and head up to Elk for better skiing at a lower price.

Myles

Putting on skis
Skier
During a very cold winter sometime around 1982 at a place called Rabbit Hill (which was really the side of a ravine rather than a hill) and at Marmot Basin. My sister and I had to agree on a winter sport so that my parents wouldn't have to drive us to two venues every weekend. I remember that she liked a kid down the street who happened to be into ski racing, so skiing was the only option for her. I am really happy that her fatal attraction wasn't into curling.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
I learned to ski this year, with lessons at Stratton and Berkshire East. 28 days this season, and now dating this guy from Okemo . . . Lest anyone think otherwise, I'm old, too. I wish I had learned to ski back in the 60s as a teenager, but that sort of expense would never have been in the cards for my depression-raised parents.

Last day was last Saturday at Killington in spring corn. Only blues and Superstar open. I didn't attempt Superstar, but happy and comfortable on the blues. Spring snow is tricky! Have to concentrate! I got distracted by a guy wearing a rainbow tutu and fell down. :Cristmassnow:

Pierre

Putting on skis
Skier
I started skiing in z back yard Christmas Day 1959. Didn't ski at a resort till mid 60's. First look at groomed snow was confusing as I could not imagine anything other than a culvert filled with concrete that would leave a pattern like I remember. Did not like groomed snow until well into adulthood. For those of you northern Michiganders that resort was Timberlee Hills complete with all the peanut shells on the floor of the lodge. I don't have pictures from back then.

thewirewiz

Booting up
Skier
When I was 16 a girl I was dating took me to her Uncle's house in Chocorua NH with some friends to ski. My first time. I had never seen the mountains or skied. I started out at King Pine ski area in Madison NH. Then went to Black Mountain in Jackson NH. And on to Wildcat. And so on. Skiing 49 years this past season. We split up after a couple of years, but that girl changed my life. I moved to the mountains as soon as I could. Still there.

john petersen

working through minutia to find the big picture!
Instructor
learned at a little place in E. Madison, NH called King Pine Ski Area.....still there and going strong...great little place. My folks were teachers and knew more teachers, who knew some ski instructors who were also teachers.....early to mid 70's....swap meet skis and leather boots but oddly enough real winter coats and snow pants...Special gloves with duct tape for the rope tows.....We painted our wooden skis to make them our own, you know?

Still ski at King Pine when we can get up there from NY, but now Im still learning with every turn at Catamount, Windham and a few other Eastern areas....

Jp

montanahorn

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Age 8, Boreal Ridge in California. Winter of 1975-1976.

Wooley12

Putting on skis
Skier
On a hill.

r9e1Yp0zMZ7HK9oeaNhcuZvGl3T-Teuv_qTLE4RLWO8JJr0AFMC-c5RfMt9_wetaqYj7q7doTiXXkf5SSl0GzZsIMCr0-m9oxBiqXM-sYIGCIyafTNJBz4SYubQ-JYtwxxrYAD8LYH-WsH7d0nSaXiOQDIONZh-4HVAtqy0ZwhhjVahcpJDkBaASGUTxThaCdY2_0NMap5ZTV5skpyFJgzZXK_NzkLvcHfc06icI-JWcRcVbbycNAKjn1002X45CEiQ2IYdMNShitxcKRs0l5LWPRomL9Am8m3RulrA7kzk7m8_mlVjG7SKFq4QnIwUMnF4NiYvlJ0wddqV2Mlf_Qxkl21fL-lWq620g53X7HWU0X4egrKgcmzUJuZZ6csofJNWvj_szLWQ7p4dIOiJuhvQnM2ysmTvRDX594X7qM4aLdzkH96aIj0-aHD3haLfU9ng1H9_MZ_SOlUU8pJJ_fJd2X7MxZ4KYUPDzTAgrssLbsh3-f8o28G1RMhd4RsYLr2UJ2lQA7uxpKg33cdlLeloiApev_qjpGRoikdrMPfGLiZpy9CkqCoiMAkHv-g5kbMnsuNXADpOEAfLQ6xGEDeV9IuHrCbUYmwxrgDIW9JAQmxpbPhye=w669-h589-no

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
This is looking back down from the top of the steeper pitch in the picture above. The lodge at the bottom is still there, but the rope in the first picture to the immediate left of the lodge is gone. You can see the corner up in the top picture. The right side was an addition if I recall, but don't know what year. Left is just about the same as it ever was including the fireplace. Stein has skied here. ogsmile

View attachment 23021

Hickory Hills, TC, MI

I live in Acme and still haven't skied at Hickory. Holiday a couple times for grins, but never on the west side little hill.

Both are great for developing racers and a place to kick the kids out for a few hours of fun in the evening.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
I lived on Sixth Street in Traverse City when the town recreation department opened Hickory after the success of the little TC Skibowl along Us 31/M37 just south of 14th. In those early years, town taxpayers got free season passes, I believe. After we moved "east" to Peninsula Drive, my dad participated in creation of Holiday, so we skied free there.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Kneale, you should stop by Holiday if you have a chance. It seems they're doing a great job! I'm sure you'd recognize many of the names on the 'old skis' displayed in the lodge! I know I did! ogsmile

Sponsor