• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ProLeisure

We are all snow leopards.
Skier
A worthy exercise and some worthy alternatives to the AX. After spending more than a few years buying skis that were almost a good as the category leader in the interest of saving a few bucks, I've come to my senses and just bought the benchmark ski. The AX is indeed all it's cracked up to be. If I had it to do all over again, I would do exactly what I did, but do it sooner.

I skied my AXs yesterday after shelving them last month because what I was doing to the bases was criminal with the low-snow conditions we’re having. (I’ve been skiing a pair of Head Monster 83s I picked on CraigsList over Christmas to take on the unavoidable rocks.)

I almost forgot how well the AXs ski. Simply put, I find the AXs to be an amazing ski. They handle a wide range of turn shapes, regardless of speed. They’re nimble through the bumps, yet seem just as happy in arcing GS turns at speed. I read somewhere that they’d be a great ski to teach on and although I haven’t taught in many years, it’d be the ski I’d choose.

There’s a subtle, but distinct feeling with premium skis that I’ve really grown to appreciate. I first experienced it when I picked up a pair of Kastle BMX 98s on clearance about five years ago. I’ve been skiing primarily Kastle and Stocklis ever since.

Like Francois Pugh stated, I too could never justify spending so much on a high performance car, but I’ve become comfortable spending more on premium skis because I appreciate their characteristics.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
HEAVEN is where:
The police are British
The chefs Italian
The mechanics are German
The lovers are French
and it's all organized by the Swiss

HELL is where:
The police are German
The chefs are British
The mechanics are French
The lovers are Swiss
and it's all organized by the Italians!!

We are in ski HELL with Blossom (Blossom is Italian). ;)

One of the funniest things that I've read in quite some time!!!!! Certainly one of the funniest things on this site, although skiing the back bows at Chez Ziggy was really good too!!!!

I skied a pair of Whiteouts in Zermatt last year and was a fool not to buy them. Thought that I could find a Blossom retailer back here in the US and obviously have been dead wrong. How could I, or any other rational person, no anticipate that the wealthiest country in the world doesn't have a Blossom dealer somewhere in NYC, Vail, Aspen, Deer Valley, Sun Valley, Jackson or San Fran??? I travel to frequently to Geneva but have been stumped at trying to locate a store, one was sold out of the Whiteout, one didnt carry and all three are closed on Sundays.

Is eBay ACTUALLY the preferred medium to actually purchase a pair of these skis???

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
Yes. It takes a while (maybe a month?), but apparently it works.

Thanks for the reply!!!! I read your post this afternoon discussing the experience with purchasing the Blossom ski through eBay and the Canadian retailer.......looked at eBay shortly after and was amazed at the product offering. A move to a 130 area on the CAD would be an ideal time to consider pulling the trigger........aside of the wait time was there any negative experiences?

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I often buy skis on eBay. Many retailers/ski shops sell their demo fleets on eBay and when I'm on the hunt for a ski I'll set up a search for what I want and when one comes up, I'll watch it and then pounce when the time is right. Maybe of them offer a best offer scenario so it's a way to save some $$ too. Buying on eBay involves patience and if you aren't in a hurry the savings can be worth it. I've always had very good experiences buying skis on eBay.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
I often buy skis on eBay. Many retailers/ski shops sell their demo fleets on eBay and when I'm on the hunt for a ski I'll set up a search for what I want and when one comes up, I'll watch it and then pounce when the time is right. Maybe of them offer a best offer scenario so it's a way to save some $$ too. Buying on eBay involves patience and if you aren't in a hurry the savings can be worth it. I've always had very good experiences buying skis on eBay.

I maintain both technical and pragmatic ambiguity about purchasing used skis from eBay. If I want something I just purchase it. However that's a personal consumption pattern/preference and one that aggravates my wife who prefers to shop around. With regards to eBay, I have read many stories here and from Epic about purchasing used gear that seemed to generate a plethora of unique post-purchase headaches. Again, just my opinion and purchasing style......I'm sure that there are more positive experiences like yours than there are negatives ones. Regrettably the negative stories are most likely the ones to be published.

Purchasing Blossoms on eBay is not about the cost, but more about the reliability, accuracy, and any potential recourse of dealing with a foreign vendor. am interested if anyone else has purchased the blooms from eBay.

On a side note: @surfsnowgirl I have a pair of 163 Kastle MX83's w/ Kastle bindings that I promised my wife I would sell (used for skiing camelback when I lived in NYC and needed to make lots of turns).....NO damage to base, sidewalls, bindings, and have a good tune......any interest???

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Thanks for the reply!!!! I read your post this afternoon discussing the experience with purchasing the Blossom ski through eBay and the Canadian retailer.......looked at eBay shortly after and was amazed at the product offering. A move to a 130 area on the CAD would be an ideal time to consider pulling the trigger........aside of the wait time was there any negative experiences?

Must have been someone else’s post because I’ve never bought Blossoms on EBay (Kästles, yes). I’ve read other posts describing having done this, though, and I can vouch for Blossom, but that’s about it.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I maintain both technical and pragmatic ambiguity about purchasing used skis from eBay. If I want something I just purchase it. However that's a personal consumption pattern/preference and one that aggravates my wife who prefers to shop around. With regards to eBay, I have read many stories here and from Epic about purchasing used gear that seemed to generate a plethora of unique post-purchase headaches. Again, just my opinion and purchasing style......I'm sure that there are more positive experiences like yours than there are negatives ones. Regrettably the negative stories are most likely the ones to be published.

Purchasing Blossoms on eBay is not about the cost, but more about the reliability, accuracy, and any potential recourse of dealing with a foreign vendor. am interested if anyone else has purchased the blooms from eBay.

On a side note: @surfsnowgirl I have a pair of 163 Kastle MX83's w/ Kastle bindings that I promised my wife I would sell (used for skiing camelback when I lived in NYC and needed to make lots of turns).....NO damage to base, sidewalls, bindings, and have a good tune......any interest???

I get it. Like with most things people hear about the bad experiences, not the good. eBay is appealing to me because I'm frugal and refuse to pay full retail for anything. I'm a deal hunter and prefer to wait and scout out the best pricing. Perhaps I've been lucky with eBay. I do tend to limit my ski purchases to demo skis from real life retail stores that have both an online and brick and mortar presence. I've never bought skis on eBay from an individual. I'll be more inclined to buy skis from an individual from Pug which I've done a couple times. Good luck on getting your Blossoms, I hear they are a great ski.

I'm sorta casually looking for a shorter ski to teach in that I can also free ski on days I'm working so those Kastles might work. I had some LX82s I wasn't wild about but perhaps the MX83 is better. What year, how much, do you have pictures, etc. Not in a huge hurry as I only have about a handful of teaching days left in the season (wrap up mid-end of March) but I'm curious.

Last edited:

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
One of the funniest things that I've read in quite some time!!!!! Certainly one of the funniest things on this site, although skiing the back bows at Chez Ziggy was really good too!!!!

I skied a pair of Whiteouts in Zermatt last year and was a fool not to buy them. Thought that I could find a Blossom retailer back here in the US and obviously have been dead wrong. How could I, or any other rational person, no anticipate that the wealthiest country in the world doesn't have a Blossom dealer somewhere in NYC, Vail, Aspen, Deer Valley, Sun Valley, Jackson or San Fran??? I travel to frequently to Geneva but have been stumped at trying to locate a store, one was sold out of the Whiteout, one didnt carry and all three are closed on Sundays.

Is eBay ACTUALLY the preferred medium to actually purchase a pair of these skis???

Here's a place that sells Blossom in the US — Seattle: https://shop.premierskis.com/collections/blossom

Prices seem reasonable, though not as cheap as the Ebay source. They also sell Renoun, Lusti, & Vist (built, last time I knew, by Blossom). AND they have a demo center, if you're out that way.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
Like you I have purchased lots of skis on Ebay and never had a bad experience. Allows me to sit at my computer and easily search for what I am looking for. I have also purchased boots and bindings off of Ebay. Opens up the world as your market without having to put your cup of coffee down. It is very secure as well. I always use Paypal as it keeps track of all of my purchases and offers very good financial protection. An A-plus from me on buying this way. I have also sold many skis on Ebay with good results.

Sponsor