• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sponsored When Should I Replace My Gear?

https://www.skiessentials.com/

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I had a pair of skis that were down to a fraction of a mm of edge material left. I'd take them out in low-tide conditions. I never hit a rock with more than a light scratch, so they kept lasting. Finally the bases wouldn't hold wax anymore, so I just pulled the bindings off and tossed 'em.

Of course, I crunched a rock hard on the second day out on their brand-new replacements. :rolleyes:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Core shotted my first ever full pow skis first morning out. I think there is obvious correlation - you wait until there is enough pow to use them then hauling ass in pow increases chances of snagging a lightly submerged shark.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Day after tomorrow?

Yeah - I thought the obvious answer to the question was "when my spouse is not paying attention"!

:micdrop:

Seriously, great article. I wonder if there is a rule of thumb for the number of ski days before a ski loses its life (torsional rigidity, rebound, etc). I fully understand that this depends on the ski construction, and remounts, etc. But a rule of thumb is just that, a rule of thumb ... cheers!

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Seriously, great article. I wonder if there is a rule of thumb for the number of ski days before a ski loses its life (torsional rigidity, rebound, etc). I fully understand that this depends on the ski construction, and remounts, etc. But a rule of thumb is just that, a rule of thumb ... cheers!

It all depends on the skier. I have friends who tell me they can't really tell the difference between demo skis. So they can keep their skis until they get tired of the top sheet.

Skiing the exact same ski (new vs old) back to back on the exact same trail with firm snow can be very enlightening. Unfortunately, not many skiers get to experience that.
The degradation of edge grip (torsional rigidity) is very gradual. Takes place over a long period of time. Years for most skiers. Most just adjust and adapt without even realizing it. Until they get on a new pair of ski. Then suddenly they are in love all over again.

The exact number of days very often depends on what/where you ski and how hard you drive your skis.

I am pretty hard on my skis. I usually replace my daily drivers after about 75 days. Hard snow and race skis will be less before they lose that sparkle. Wider powder skis usually get blown edges and other really bad damages by about 50 days. :eek:
Mamie runs her daily drivers about 100 days. She came to that conclusion after skiing on two different pairs of the same ski back to back. She didn't believe me initially. :nono:

When it comes to other skiers - don't really have a clue.

James

Out There
Instructor
It's like pitch counts in Baseball perhaps.
1 pitch - 1 ski day
We'll put it at 100 is replacement. Sort of the general rule these days to remove a pitcher. Unless you're the Dodgers.

Then there's the wear factors.
So a slalom ski might have a 2.0 factor or more, maybe less. So after 50 days it's shot.
Some skis get a construction bonus. So their factor is less than 1. So that ski might be 145 days.
There's the "little old lady" drivers. That could be 0.5 factor.
And so on.

But really, any recent Kastle or Stockli should be sent out to me for evaluation after 25 days....Just to be sure they're holding up.

Last edited:

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Yes, if anyone has a 180 Kastle MX89 or FX95 they need a wear & tear opinion on...

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Whenever you feel like it (modern disposable ideals) or when the equipment lets you know (ie. fails).

In all seriousness I upgraded to modern skis only because I got a great deal (I will say glad I did) however I kept up with everyone just had to work harder and ski better on the old stuff. Why because I could.

As to replacement I’m old school enough, not to consider things as a disposable and appreciate the value to be used until finished.

So a good guideline when this occurred without wastage is great for those don’t know.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I've probably averaged about two seasons on my skis, but with one exception I've always managed to sell them on to someone else when I wanted to make a change.
The one exception was a discontinued ski I'd used for three seasons, and 'new' ones were available for not a lot more than the price of the bindings.
I gave them to the shop where I'd bought new skis in return for swapping the bindings over.
Guy told me a few weeks later he'd managed to sell them, with a new binding at full retail, so win-win!!

Angel Fire

USSA Coach
Skier
Holy Mackerel, that is quite a formula.

For most die hards that try to get close to 100 days a season, that would most likely mean
a new pair each season.

Which I wouldn't mind, but the wife... Though I did buy myself a new pair of Stockli SL skis for Xmas with
out the wife's knowledge! Well, I was good all year !

My kids will have a chance to ski back to back new Stockli SL vs 100 + day last seasons Stockli SL . I will
chime back in mid Dec & relay what the verdict is.

Will be interesting if they notice a big difference. Perhaps I will get a run or two in myself.

It's like pitch counts in Baseball perhaps.
1 pitch - 1 ski day
We'll put it at 100 is replacement. Sort of the general rule these days to remove a pitcher. Unless you're the Dodgers.

Then there's the wear factors.
So a slalom ski might have a 2.0 factor or more, maybe less. So after 50 days it's shot.
Some skis get a construction bonus. So their factor is less than 1. So that ski might be 145 days.
There's the "little old lady" drivers. That could be 0.5 factor.
And so on.

But really, any recent Kastle or Stockli should be sent out to me for evaluation after 25 days....Just to be sure they're holding up.

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sure I think i'm covering all my costs teaching skiing then I read something like this and realize all my gear I bought last year is outdated! Working for nothin again this season. Any one know any sponsors lol?

Sponsor

Staff online