• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

When its time to retire from racing

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is an oldish story, from back in June, but its got me thinking.
Goergl, the oldest skier to win a World Cup Race, announced her retirement in June, stating that she didn't feel the motivation to prepare for another race season, let alone the Olympics.
With the discussions we've had in other threads about racers who have lost their luster, but continue to take a premium spot on teams, I commend Goergl, for recognizing that its time and let someone new come up through the ranks.

From AP News: June 12, 2017
Her career highlight came in 2011, when the Austrian upset favorites Lindsey Vonn and Maria Hoefl-Riesch twice to win the downhill and super-G gold medals at the worlds in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany.

“That was my biggest and nicest achievement, for sure,” said Goergl, who had performed the song “You’re a Hero” live on stage during the opening ceremony of the worlds.

“To win the super-G the following day was very special. And winning the downhill was the icing on the cake. Double world champion sounded great.”

During 17 seasons, Goergl won five medals at major championships and competed in 378 World Cup races, winning seven of them. She was 33 years, 301 days when she last won a race, a super-G in Val d’Isere, France, in December 2014.

Goergl is also the oldest winner of a downhill. She was 32 years, 11 months when she triumphed in Altenmarkt-Zauchensee in January 2014. However, she will lose that record to Vonn if the American wins a downhill next season.

Her announcement was no surprise. In January, after failing to make the Austrian team for the world championships in St. Moritz, she said she would consider retirement, even with an Olympic season coming up.

“I have taken a lot of time to think about it,” said Goergl, who won the overall title of the lower-tier Europa Cup in 2003. “Since I was 10, I have been chasing my goal to become a ski racer with huge passion. I never gave up and I always found new motivation.”

Goergl stems from a ski-mad family. Her mother, Traudi Hecher, won Olympic downhill bronze in 1960 and ’64. And her older brother, Stephan Goergl, competed on the men’s World Cup from 2001-12.

“The Goergl family has contributed massively to the ski sports in Austria,” said Hans Pum, sports director of the Austrian ski federation.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Well, from a corporate point of view, I have an issue with people sitting around for 10 years when they're fully pensioned-up and taking a spot from a younger person who actually gives a crap about working.

Sports-wise..I think everyone gets to a point where you're top-leveled out. It's a job and you get burnt out and you start mailing it in. So yeah, stand up and say I'm done. Let someone else with some fire get in there.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
It's never time to retire! Go as long as you can.

Eric

I can think of various professional athletes who kept their careers going far too long. I mainly followed the NFL, but many players (Brett Favre, Jerry Rice, Franco Harris, and Emmitt Smith come to mind immediately) were kept on the roster only because they sold tickets.

I realize that it's a personal decision, but I always liked the athletes (hello, Barry Sanders) who retired at the top of their game and left you wanting more. That said... walking away when you know there's a lot left in the gas tank is remarkable.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I just heard a story about Jerry Rice as a coach working out with his receivers. They were amazed that he could still outplay the kids. He had to retire because his body couldn't hold up to the damage of the NFL - not a lack of talent. I did say "as long as you can".

As far as taking spots from younger people, you must earn your spot. Old people can still have fire and passion.

I always root for the older player!

Eric

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
On one side I agree with @Eleeski. Go as long as you wish and as long as you have fun. On the other side, I also agree with @scott43 about taking spot of some young perspective racer. In ideal world, that would be no issue. If you are better/faster then that young racer, you earned your spot, even if you are not winning anymore as you used to. But unfortunately it's not idea world, and even if that young racer is better, he or she most likely won't get a spot, as you can't really throw out of team that old guy who has so many victories and who did so much for the team 10 years ago. I have personally see and experience such things during my racing career so I know how it feels when you win qualifications yet you stay at home because that old guy goes on races "because of his previous achievements" .
But as long as "old guys" are faster, then I'm with this that you go as long as you have fun with it, even if you are far from top results.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you start questioning the commitment it is usually the sign to stop, at least on the attempting to win level.

Competing for the fun of it regardless of the results is a different story as there is no pressure just have fun.

People tend to force the first to far and never make it to the second.

Remember we all started competing because it was fun, then later an obsession to win. Take it back to fun before it's fun no more.

Sponsor

Staff online