• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What's your favorite breakfast for a ski day?

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
Everyone in my family is usually cranky unless we have a real breakfast on ski days. It's usually eaten in the car. Breakfast is almost always: breakfast burritos (eggs, cheese, mushroom, salsa, a bit of hot sauce for me and SO, in a flour tortilla) or eggs, cheese, lettuce and tomato on a bagel. Coffee for the adults, juice for kids. One of the kids literally always has a breakdown by 10.30 on the slopes if they don't eat enough, or eat no protein.

Disneynskiing

Booting up
Skier
Whatever I can choke down. Ideally some fruit, coffee (or Gatorade if I can't manage to eat enough) and maybe a granola bar if I am lucky.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sausage McMuffin, hash brown, and a large coke.

I usually need something in the morning, but not much.

I'm quite similar to this but substitute coffee for the caffeine, or the variation at Starbucks, on a day trip. My ski buddies have been more upscale and Starbucks seems to dominate breakfast now.

Starbucks also dominate on family (multiday trips), so this does get tiring. An alternative has been just a hard-boiled egg and coffee (latte). These trips are little more laid back and more time for lunch. Well, maybe I always make time for lunch. Did I miss the lunch thread? :)

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
With the understanding that often Starbucks is all you can get...it sucks. If I can't make my own (Melitta #4 cone, Zassenhaus grinder, Jetboil) then I'll look long and hard for a local, indie coffee place.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Am I the only one that goes into a Starbucks and asks for brewed coffee?

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I can't recall if I posted here or not. Favorite breakfast is toasted bacon and egg yolk sandwich, the egg-yolk you get with sunny-side-up eggs, so it soaks into the toast. Sprinkled with black pepper. Also, oatmeal porridge with maple syrup and some orange juice a large cup of coffee to wash it down.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So, I used to stuff all sorts of crap in the jacket. At some point I started to bring a backpack with a couple cereal bars, water bottles, etc. Is that a bad idea? It definitely sucks on the lift. But a backpack something that you only wear off piste for the usual safety equipment? (not that I do that yet, anyways).
That's what Cushing Cabin is for.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Coffee is a given! Nothing happens besides stuff getting hurt or broken before coffee.
Ski breakfast is usually 1cup Quaker Old Fashioned oatmeal, with raisins, walnuts, 1/2 a banana then either strawberries, blueberries or whatever other fruit is available. All cooked up with a sprinkle of cinnamon & a dash of brown sugar. Add yogurt & a gulp of milk & that does the trick. When time is limited substitute cold cereal for oatmeal.

Since breakfast only sustains me for a couple of hours, something substantial, snacks & water are always in my pocket for lift consumption. Usually a wrap or bagel with either tuna, turkey or chicken garnished with avocado, lettuce & maybe some tomato. The wrap gets cream cheese & maybe a little rice while the bagel will get some hot & spicy mustard. Along with that, I usually carry my own mix of nuts & dried fruit. Oh, & carrots. Always gotta have carrots. The water container is refillable & refilled often. I discovered decades ago that hydration is essential & way underrated. I rarely enter the lodge unless guests force me. ;)
I usually have so much stuff in my pockets that I look as though I've lost weight by the end of the day.

If I'm in a hurry or desperately out of stuff, breakfast or lunch could be a bagel with gobs of peanut butter, a little cream cheese & sliced banana.

I prefer the trees but Snowbasin has many convenient, well appointed restrooms if you know where or which entrances to use. This was always part of the guest education when I worked there & of course I couldn't use the trees while in uniform. Powder Mountain is a little tougher but there are more trees :) .

Last edited:

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
When in Santa Fe, Cafe Pasqual's.
IMG_0613.JPG

SkiSpeed

Getting off the lift
Skier
I am not a big breakfast fan and generally don't eat it; for ski days, say about 60% of time, I'll have a PB& J, Crunchy P w/Raspberry Preserves.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
"First I had Sunny side up and zen I had Sunny side down, and zen I had Sunny side all zee way around"..

Sponsor

Staff online