• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What's your favorite breakfast for a ski day?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I haven't been skiing, but one of my favorite breakfasts is fried eggs mixed into some form of rice and greens. A couple of mornings ago, fried eggs chopped up into wild rice pilaf and I think dandelion greens.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Reminded by something or other here, I went and bought some buckwheat flour and GF flour, and made buckwheat pancakes this morning :) I haven't made pancakes in years. Historically, I manage to both burn them and undercook the center. This time, they turned out golden brown on both sides, cooked in the middle, and super tasty. Kind of crazy thick, so next time, I'll use more liquid for the batter. I topped mine with peanut butter and maple syrup (just like dear old Dad); Eric did the more traditional butter and syrup (ew). I bought blueberries to accompany, but forgot about them =/

http://cookieandkate.com/2013/buckwheat-pancakes/

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Ya, I always worry when my batter starts out kind of runny but in the end they puff up and cook nicely.

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Reminded by something or other here, I went and bought some buckwheat flour and GF flour, and made buckwheat pancakes this morning :) I haven't made pancakes in years. Historically, I manage to both burn them and undercook the center. This time, they turned out golden brown on both sides, cooked in the middle, and super tasty. Kind of crazy thick, so next time, I'll use more liquid for the batter

Here, pancakes is something I make once a week (waffles for the other weekend morning). For pancakes, yes, I tend to make a batter more on the wet side. And I let them rest 5 minutes at least so the flour can puff up a bit. I think the key for the pancakes to cook through is to have the ingredients at room temp.

I looked at that recipe. I would definitely use some melted batter if I made it. Perhaps 4 tbsp per cup of flour. But then again, I rarely follow a recipe exactly.

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
This batter was more the consistency of wet cement. I may have beaten it too much.

But like I said, it all worked out!

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
20161103_103951_HDR_resized.jpg

I just picked up a box of these at Costco. microwavable, ready in 3 minutes! Eat it up while you're togging out. And its Bobs, so it has to be good for you, right?

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Just a thought about this thread as a testimony to Pugski and a Higher Level. I started a thread just like this on the other forum and got a fair amount of RUDE answers so I guess we are thinking on a higher level and giving serious answers. THANKS

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Just a thought about this thread as a testimony to Pugski and a Higher Level. I started a thread just like this on the other forum and got a fair amount of RUDE answers so I guess we are thinking on a higher level and giving serious answers. THANKS

I couldn't agree more! The other day I was searching for some info for the risk management thread. I wound up on a forum (other than the predecessor of Pugski). But the level of the discussion was in between childish, rude, and plain tasteless. The first thing I thought was, just like you said, what a difference!.

Perhaps because this place is run as a family? It is a very simple equation:

:beercheer: PLUS :hug: = :pug:

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
P, B & J sandwich with whole grain bread, natural peanut butter and sugar free jelly. V-8 Fusion juice and coffee. Always carry trail mix and kind bars in my pack for snacks. On control days usually end up scrounging for anything edible in the top shack!

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Pancaces (the american way) with maple syrup and a big blueberry/strawberry smoothie. Big cup of tea.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, if you're going to do pancakes, the Kodiak flapjacks mix available at Costco is great, whole wheat and very hearty. I usually add some nutmeg, cinnamon and pecans to the batter. I usually cook up some turkey bacon or sausages on the side, brew a fresh pot of tea. That is a typical weekend breakfast, another is omelets (assorted veggies, herbs and cheeses) with hash browns (with salsa).

On those days where I barely wake up in time to make the drive to the mountains, I'll stop at a Starbucks and pick up a breakfast sandwhich. Maybe grab a banana from home to eat just before I head out the lodge. It's lazy, but I somehow manage to live with myself.

I am looking forward to having a full kitchen in the condo at Whistler for the Gathering, for a full week. A full kitchen, the IGA grocery store a short walk away, and a commute of 7-8 minutes of walking to get the gondolas. Breakfasts will be good, and unhurried, and I'll still be in line by 8:30 :bestday:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I dialed in the buckwheat pancakes this Sunday, really tasty - but I can't imagine taking that much time on a ski morning. Maybe I need a bigger skillet? Like a full sized restaurant one?

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I dialed in the buckwheat pancakes this Sunday, really tasty - but I can't imagine taking that much time on a ski morning. Maybe I need a bigger skillet? Like a full sized restaurant one?

Yes. I use a rectangular one that spans two burners. I make 6, 1/4 cup pancakes at a time ...

Last edited:
TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
View attachment 15729

Time for new appliances. .

Yup, except that one is a quick $15 purchase and the other in the thousands :) I do have a nice range with a grill and a griddle, but I never use either. I grill outside and I prefer the portable griddle because it's easier to wash. The grill: I used it once, but same thing, it was a mess to wash, the little ceramic bricks underneath got all greasy AND the whole house smelled like a bbq pit :doh:

Weather here is benign enough that I can grill year around ... just outside the kitchen. We even eat outside a lot of the time, ask Ziggy, Phil and Tricia :)

Last edited:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
That DCS unit si just in jest. Not crazy about dedicated griddles either. Have to do a lot of breakfast to justify that space hog.
A simple griddle that fits over two burner is the way to go.

Agree with you that grilling indoor is a non-starter. Look good on paper but sucks in real life. Indoor grilling creates quite a challenge for existing kitchen ventilation system. Most residential kitchen exhaust fans is in the range of 180-250 CFM. That is prior to drop in efficiency when taken into consideration of associated duct works. No surprise they struggle with the output from a grill going full blast. Generally, most kitchen designs skims on the mechanical and ventilation aspect. The overwhelming emphasis is usually on cabinets and general aesthetics.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a big griddle on my range and I love it. You can make all the pancakes at once. Or grilled cheese sammies for 6. But no grill.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
A simple griddle that fits over two burner is the way to go.

We do have a griddle that attaches over the center of the range, and I could dig that out. I don't recall it being very big, though, kind of silly that way. I've seen @SBrown's Kitchen, and it's lovely, but we don't have room for that (and we just bought this one, anyway.) Also I think you need an externally venting fan for ranges that big.

Sponsor