• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What's better? A clinic or one-off lessons?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
PS - I am not an instructor! But I have taken an enormous amount of lessons in a variety of scenarios, and I do spend a lot of time around instructors and like to pick their brains about their experiences teaching.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Clinic if you learn well in a group and don't mind the possibility of being in a clinic that is not what you expected, but can still learn something enjoying the social aspect.

One-off if you want something specific and want an instructor dedicated to your specific needs. Not as social, but can greatly enhance learning.

Both have their merits, you need to know your needs.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've done a lot of both and I'd say it really depends on the luck of finding the "right" instructor for you. Once you have, stick with them, whatever format.

Taking a bunch of group lessons from random instructors at line up can be very frustrating. Skiing is an art and you may find contradictory (gasp!) instruction, or end up working on totally different things each time, depending on the group needs. If it's a group lesson, it's not all about you, although you can expect some differentiation.

My best luck has been with a private half day lessons and once a week locals clinics.

My worst luck has been PSIA clinics and random group lessons, although I haven't done one of those in a long time

Pros of once a week locals clinic:
  • you get the same instructor each time, so they get to know how you ski and how you learn and can pinpoint what you need over the course of a season (Typically, they will switch groups as needed to make sure you have a good match with instructors and fellow student needs/desires)
  • These are primo lessons to give, so they usually have the very best instructors from the pool.
  • If the instructor's any good, they will have worked out a progression that builds one lesson upon another, even if you don't see it right away.
  • you have a chance to try what you've learned free-skiing and to work on the drills on your own before the next lesson, so you'll be ready to move on to the next thing
  • you meet other local skiers of your ability with whom you can play later
  • you are forced to ski in whatever conditions appear that day so you learn to have fun in all of it.
  • tends to be relatively inexpensive (our locals clinic is less than $200 if you sign up early for 8 weeks.)
Pros of a one-off private lesson (this depends a LOT on finding the right instructor; do this only after you've done some research):
  • The instructor will really, really look at YOU (imagine being the subject of an MA like on Epic, but not in public view.)
  • If they have a good eye, they can pin-point what you need quickly even if you don't know you need it.
  • It's efficient. You will see quicker results, if you let your ego go and actually believe what they are telling you.
  • you can work as long as you need to on what you need to work on before asking for the next lesson
  • A private instructor will take the time at the end of a lesson to give you "homework" if you request it
  • It's a better value than a group lesson IME, because you need to take 6-8 group lessons (the number typically in a group) to get the same attention as a private and you can pick your instructor so you don't waste lessons on mediocre instruction.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
A small tanget, but PSIA clinics can be a little all over the map as the needs of those in the clinic are often diverse (as in any group walk in!!! ) and often highly opinionated. IMH experience, the higher the level and confidence of the group, the better the the clinics get. One div staff/local nat'l demo team member into'd a topic a couple months ago. We were all 'sure, let's play with it! This should be interesting.' He was surprised and said he expected more push back from the group. We all sort of joked and said, if it ended up sucking, we'd let him know. :)

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I only have a limited experience with lessons..as in 2..but I have to say, the instructor I think makes all the difference. A buddy gave me a pointer once and opened a whole new world to me. Took him 5 mins. So I think if someone with a lot of experience can see a block for you and remove it quickly, it's huge. Ultimately we all have to actually ski..but the right tip at the right time can make a huge impact.

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
I have a similar dilemma - I've been trying to decide between the Rippin Chix camp at Whitewater in January (2 days), or a 6 week lesson series at Sunshine Village (the lessons are once a week from 10 - 3:30, with an hour break for lunch, same group for all 6 weeks, I have yet to inquire about the instructor though...). I ended up deciding on the lesson series for one reason mainly - the lesson series are less than $300CAD, and the camp would have been $500USD plus accommodation, transportation etc. I am also hoping that, since I'm going to be doing it on a weekday (wednesdays), my group will be smaller. For me, it just made so much more economical sense at this stage to do a series of full-day lessons. I'm hoping I can work on the skills in between the lessons and really up my game this year. I want to cross that threshold from a mostly black tentative skier usually comfortable on most terrain/most conditions, to a really confident black skier, especially on moguls. I'm hoping the lessons are the way to go now, and I'll do the camp later on. For my goals, this seems to be the way to go...or maybe I'm just cheap :)

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I have a similar dilemma - I've been trying to decide between the Rippin Chix camp at Whitewater in January (2 days), or a 6 week lesson series at Sunshine Village (the lessons are once a week from 10 - 3:30, with an hour break for lunch, same group for all 6 weeks, I have yet to inquire about the instructor though...). I ended up deciding on the lesson series for one reason mainly - the lesson series are less than $300CAD, and the camp would have been $500USD plus accommodation, transportation etc. I am also hoping that, since I'm going to be doing it on a weekday (wednesdays), my group will be smaller. For me, it just made so much more economical sense at this stage to do a series of full-day lessons. I'm hoping I can work on the skills in between the lessons and really up my game this year. I want to cross that threshold from a mostly black tentative skier usually comfortable on most terrain/most conditions, to a really confident black skier, especially on moguls. I'm hoping the lessons are the way to go now, and I'll do the camp later on. For my goals, this seems to be the way to go...or maybe I'm just cheap :)

Both clinics I've done have been Rippin Chix. They were fun, but they were not about ski technique. I also was placed in a group that was not as aggro as I was, as I mentioned above, and I didn't get pushed the way I wanted to be - I think there was one spot that was gulp-worthy for me at the time, and that was just side-slipping a choke point. Well. There was the time when I fell and lost my ski and we had to dig for it for half an hour in true avy terrain that had not been bombed. That was gulp-worthy for different reasons. WHY didn't I use my powder straps? It also gave me a "safe" intro to Silverton, where the camp was held. Note Silverton is a "double black skiers only" camp, so a different experience probably than the cap you were looking at.

And yeah - travel etc adds up!

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
Both clinics I've done have been Rippin Chix. They were fun, but they were not about ski technique. I also was placed in a group that was not as aggro as I was, as I mentioned above, and I didn't get pushed the way I wanted to be - I think there was one spot that was gulp-worthy for me at the time, and that was just side-slipping a choke point. Well. There was the time when I fell and lost my ski and we had to dig for it for half an hour in true avy terrain that had not been bombed. That was gulp-worthy for different reasons. WHY didn't I use my powder straps? It also gave me a "safe" intro to Silverton, where the camp was held. Note Silverton is a "double black skiers only" camp, so a different experience probably than the cap you were looking at.

And yeah - travel etc adds up!

Yeah - I was looking at the Whitewater one because I thought it would be most similar to what I skied - inbounds, mostly chop, powder, soft snow. At Whitewater they have 'lower group' and 'upper group,' and I thought that the lower group would be fine for me - I think the requirement is that you can ski 10 linked turns on an ungroomed single black in any condition. I'm definitely not ready for Silverton :) Anyway, I think having goals in mind is good when deciding between camps and lessons.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
One thing I forgot mentioned, get the highest level instructor possible if it is an individual lesson, if in doubt go with the oldest (and likely most experienced and understanding).

Better yet search up some of the instructors from PUGSKI, how can you go wrong with that.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've done two Rippin Chix camps, one years ago at Crested Butte and one at Silverton. Allison is an inspiration and a lot of fun.

If you are seeking to up your terrain game, Rippin Chix is the place.

If you are really seeking to improve technique in that terrain, then the weekly series is def. the way to go.

TS
laine

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
I'm the OP and probably should have offered more context. I've been skiing since I was about 3.5/4 years old and I'm 45 now. I'm an advanced skier. I think I know the things I need to work on and where I fall short - I just need a better understanding of some the techniques to address the mistakes I make in narrow chutes (steeps) and steep or narrow mogul runs (though I don't do too many of these after two knee surgeries). I could also use some powder technique training (I grew up skiing in VT and didn't ski out west until I was in my late 20s) - but that is the luck of the weather. I could always just try to get to the mountain early on a powder day and see if I could sign up for a private.

I was asking because what I decide might influence my pass purchasing decision between Sugar Bowl/Squaw-Alpine or some combo of both. I believe the women's clinic at Squaw separates the class based on your level, so I think I would (hopefully) be with the same skill-level skiers. The unlimited Alpine lessons are a better deal economically - but we go up to Tahoe only on weekends (and not every weekend) - and it would literally be a random group lesson, with whatever instructor was doing advanced/expert lessons that day. So that's why I'm kinda leaning towards the clinic.

The one other factor here (which only the North Lake Tahoe skiers would know about) is that the traffic this year to Squaw/Alpine was a literal shitshow. Serious back-ups for an hour - which meant if we weren't ready to leave Truckee for the mountain by 7:15/7:30am (even though the lifts don't open until 9am) we would sit in a 1+ hours of traffic. So we often opted for Sugar Bowl just because of the traffic situation.

I do appreciate all the feedback and opinions. As we decide on the passes for next year, I'll figure it all out....

-laine

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

dlague

Waitin' for Wintah
Skier
Looking at both, I think the unlimited lessons is a great option. The three day clinic will be impacted by the current conditions. With things being spread outyou are more likely to get varied conditions and might learn more as you progress through the season.

While lessons or clinics as well as other programs are important. The number of days out makes a huge difference. For example, my sister takes a few lessons each season and then skis maybe 10 days at best. Whereas, we ski 40-50 days and just the experience, varied terrain, varied conditions etc. teach a lot. My wife has never taken a lesson and is now after 17 years, a very good skier and skis in any conditions, and almost any terrain. Disclaimer - I was her coach.

Edit: I later read about you experience and based on that the three day clinic might be the way to go since you would be skiing more advanced terrain!

Last edited:

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm the OP and probably should have offered more context. I've been skiing since I was about 3.5/4 years old and I'm 45 now. I'm an advanced skier. I think I know the things I need to work on and where I fall short - I just need a better understanding of some the techniques to address the mistakes I make in narrow chutes (steeps) and steep or narrow mogul runs (though I don't do too many of these after two knee surgeries). I could also use some powder technique training (I grew up skiing in VT and didn't ski out west until I was in my late 20s) - but that is the luck of the weather. I could always just try to get to the mountain early on a powder day and see if I could sign up for a private.

I was asking because what I decide might influence my pass purchasing decision between Sugar Bowl/Squaw-Alpine or some combo of both. I believe the women's clinic at Squaw separates the class based on your level, so I think I would (hopefully) be with the same skill-level skiers. The unlimited Alpine lessons are a better deal economically - but we go up to Tahoe only on weekends (and not every weekend) - and it would literally be a random group lesson, with whatever instructor was doing advanced/expert lessons that day. So that's why I'm kinda leaning towards the clinic.

The one other factor here (which only the North Lake Tahoe skiers would know about) is that the traffic this year to Squaw/Alpine was a literal shitshow. Serious back-ups for an hour - which meant if we weren't ready to leave Truckee for the mountain by 7:15/7:30am (even though the lifts don't open until 9am) we would sit in a 1+ hours of traffic. So we often opted for Sugar Bowl just because of the traffic situation.

I do appreciate all the feedback and opinions. As we decide on the passes for next year, I'll figure it all out....

-laine
I think you just answered your own question, a private here and there to tweak your short comings. You're good enough to know what's right just not enough to see why it doesn't work (curse of the advanced/expert skier)

I think you'll gain a lot more with this for less money in a faster time frame. As to women/men thing at the upper end I feel there is little difference as it is about technique. Strength, while it gives dumb guys a temporary false advantage, it will limit progress if relied upon over technique.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
As to women/men thing at the upper end I feel there is little difference as it is about technique.

I'll refer you to my post earlier in the thread - technique may be the same, but representation is a big deal. Skiing with a female instructor who's doing the crazy things I want to do - it makes them seem much more attainable.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'll refer you to my post earlier in the thread - technique may be the same, but representation is a big deal. Skiing with a female instructor who's doing the crazy things I want to do - it makes them seem much more attainable.
Danger! Danger! Will Robinson.

This is the lead in to funny but potentially sexist jokes and comments.

I'll pass :roflmao::beercheer:.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I ski with my wife and she shows me what's attainable every time! :D

john petersen

working through minutia to find the big picture!
Instructor
I have always benefited from both. BUT....that unlimited lesson package seems like a GREAT deal. especially if you bring your posse.....

It might be worth having the program coordinator giving you a quick call to discuss the options...but be warned....they are always looking for good instructors!

teaching others is a great way to learn, too......

;)

JP

dlague

Waitin' for Wintah
Skier
teaching others is a great way to learn, too......

;)

JP

Very true! I was an instructor and so was one of our son's. As a ski instructor there are free clinics all the time as well as a free season pass and instructor dis pints else where.