• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What kind of lodging do you prefer on a ski trip?

What kind of lodging and do you eat in or eat out

• Ski house with a bunch other ski friends

Votes: 23 29.9%
  • Ski house alone or family

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • Condo

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • Hotel suite

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • Hotel/Motel

Votes: 17 22.1%
  • Do you Eat In?

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Do you eat out?

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • Combination of eating in and eating out

Votes: 55 71.4%
  • Do you like staying with a group of other skiers?

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • Do you prefer to get your own lodging?

Votes: 27 35.1%

• Total voters

Norther1

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm a hotel/motel person. For me, even when just going up to VT for an overnight trip, skiing is vacation/fun/leisure time and for me that means a hotel where no cooking is involved. I don't think I'd enjoy a ski trip where I had to cook meals. Plus, I travel solo so the space a condo gives you is just not necessary for me.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I don't understand the terms of the poll. What are we to do with the checkboxes that are questions?
Check the box if you you answer yes to the question.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
She is usually right. :duck:

One thing I learned from work - The boss is always right. :D

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.
Reinhold Niebuhr

I am a fast learner. Pissed into the wind once. And once only.
I ain't as stupid as I look. :D

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Guest room at a friend's home. Group-participation dinners.

I'm fortunate to know a number of people in cool places.

But I've been known to sleep in the back of my car in the parking lot.
You touched on something that many of us have the good fortune to do.
We open our home to friends who are traveling and, in turn, they've opened their home to us.
There are many folks in this community who've become more than just friends, we're family.

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I guess my preferred lodging is the one that is free. :D That usually means staying with friends and / or family which just increases the fun and enjoyment. Lodging close to ski areas is just wicked expensive for my budget luckily I have friends and family that own slopeside apartments at several ski resorts in Colorado. I have stayed in a tent during some of my outings but never during the winter though.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Condo / House / Apt. here and usually eat in.
We have a timeshare, never been there, it's in South Africa.... long story.

Anyway, we trade it all around the globe because their currency, the rand, has a great trading value vs other dollar values.
In any given year it will get a ski weeek plus a dive week for under a grand - totally insane.
We have traded for Steamboat, Whistler, Dolomites, Austria and countless others, it works well for us.
When that doesn't work we do VRBO with or without friends.

If you haven't been yet, you should go. From S.A it's 'easy' to get to Mozambique -- great diving in Inhambane. S.A beatiful too. Some good shark action of Durban.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Protea Banks -- they do baited tiger shark drift dives in the blue. Haven't done it but a friend did and showed me the video. Almost as hairy as the Hahnenkamm. Sorry for the drift.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Condo / House / Apt. here and usually eat in.
We have a timeshare, never been there, it's in South Africa.... long story.

Anyway, we trade it all around the globe because their currency, the rand, has a great trading value vs other dollar values.
In any given year it will get a ski weeek plus a dive week for under a grand - totally insane.
We have traded for Steamboat, Whistler, Dolomites, Austria and countless others, it works well for us.
When that doesn't work we do VRBO with or without friends.
We've got a friend with a house at Squaw. She does Home Exchange every once in a while.
She has encouraged us to put our house in the Home Exchange, but we've never really looked into it. I guess it could be seen as a prime location, NW Edge of Reno, 40+/- minutes from several major ski resorts, Lake Tahoe, etc etc...

TQA

Putting on skis
Skier
I like that peculiarly British aberration, the catered chalet A cooked breakfast, coffee and cake or scones when I come in from the slopes at 4 then a proper sit down dinner with wine. Usually one large table and shared sitting area so you soon got to know people.

But the skiing is what matters so self catering in a Studio 6 is fine as well.

Last edited:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Done all from car camping to upscale-slopeside. What I prefer and what I often settle for are quite different. When alone or with son I've stayed in many hostels. Kind of along the lines of what Fishbowl said, the more saved on lodging, means more left for skiing. When accompanied by wife it's usually a more upscale situation. It's all good as long as there's skiing involved.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, so I haven't stayed in it at a ski area yet but if they'd let me stay the night in the parking lot I would. I 20170602_204838.jpg like my own spot.

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
I didn't see Hostel or Cabin as options in the poll, but when I'm alone I stay at a guest house (in Mammoth) that's like a hostel. And when I'm with my family we stay at a cabin (June Lake), which I guess is kind of like a condo. In both cases it's a mix of eating in and out.

I like meeting new people at the guest house, and it's easy to fix meals. And I like the coziness of the cabin with my family.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
The poll says it only allows three choices, so just answering the questions would put me over.

For me, it's all of the above. I am happy to share a house with the right people and sufficient personal space. I like cooking in, but sometimes I'm tired and just want to eat out. I'm fine with a motel, but it needs to be quiet, and ideally it has a fridge and microwave.

Money matters, but not enough to sacrifice sleep quality. The toughest thing for me is food because of my ever changing food issues. (The one through line being gluten, which makes most easy breakfast choices impossible. )

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
For me, it's all of the above.
Exactly!

With the exception of hotel suite, which I never do, I've done all of the options. They each have appeals in different aspect.

While food is partly related with lodging, it's often mutually exclusive. Eating in pretty much precludes hotel/motel unless one is into pizza and microwave dinners everyday. And if I'm staying with a group, then it's more about what the group decide on the food. There's no point to be staying in a condo with a group then go out to dinner by myself every night when the rest of the group stay in every night!

I didn't see Hostel or Cabin as options in the poll, but when I'm alone I stay at a guest house (in Mammoth) that's like a hostel. And when I'm with my family we stay at a cabin (June Lake), which I guess is kind of like a condo. In both cases it's a mix of eating in and out.

I like meeting new people at the guest house, and it's easy to fix meals. And I like the coziness of the cabin with my family.
Missing from the choices also are ski club house, a very common thing in the northeast ski clubs. That's probably my top choice whenever that's available. It's usually very economical and great camaraderie. But typically one needs to be the member of the club and commit to a minimum number of days in a season, which I often found myself unable to do due to my frequent travel.

I view hostel almost the same as sharing condo (and/or ski house), only more economical. So as long as it's clean and quiet, I'm a big fan of it.