• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What kind of lodging do you prefer on a ski trip?

What kind of lodging and do you eat in or eat out

• Ski house with a bunch other ski friends

Votes: 23 29.9%
  • Ski house alone or family

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • Condo

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • Hotel suite

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • Hotel/Motel

Votes: 17 22.1%
  • Do you Eat In?

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Do you eat out?

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • Combination of eating in and eating out

Votes: 55 71.4%
  • Do you like staying with a group of other skiers?

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • Do you prefer to get your own lodging?

Votes: 27 35.1%

• Total voters

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Phil and I travel a bit, mostly for business, and find ourselves looking for someplace with a kitchen, whether its a condo, suite or VRBO type place.
Occasionally we will stay in a motel if its only a few days but we find ourselves happiest when we can cook some of our own meals.

What do you like to do when you travel?
Do you eat in or eat out or a combination of the two?

With the variety of questions, I'm allowing up to 3 votes per person to cover the possible answers.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I chose house with friends, but we would have to be well acquainted with them prior to a trip. I like to cook, so it has to have a kitchen with decent appliances (blender is a must). Ski in/ski out is nearly mandatory

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Unless we're at the friends house in Vermont we are moteling it in western Mass or in Vermont/New Hampshire. Since we ski every weekend from thanksgiving until the end of April we like to keep it cheap. Besides we're just there to sleep anyway. Motels have continental breakfast so that's breakfast. We usually share a lunch and since we work at 2 of the mountains we frequent so that keeps costs down. We go out for dinner. During the week we rarely eat out so it all evens out. The fanciest places we ever stay at are when we go to quebec and out west with the ski club. Otherwise just give me a bed, microwave and a fridge and I'm set. Sometimes our friend Jen will crash with us when she snowboards with us so we usually get 2 beds but it's usually just Michael and I. We have regular motels we usually stay at and get to know the owners so it's like having extended family.

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I chose house with friends, but we would have to be well acquainted with them prior to a trip. I like to cook, so it has to have a kitchen with decent appliances (blender is a must). Ski in/ski out is nearly mandatory
Yeah, we stay in ski houses with others but they are friends that we've grown close to over the years.
When we do that we usually make a lot of meals in.

We occasionally rent a small place with a couple people (example: Whistler trip with @VickieH and @Toni ) We all got along great and had a good time. We only made a few meals in, because there were so many après ski options at the gathering.
Vickie found the place, which was supposed to be a hen house with me, Toni and Vickie, but Phil crashed the hen house. It was a good way to get to know Vickie better. I'd do it again.

fullStack

Getting on the lift
Skier
Main considerations:
1. Is there snow
2. Is there a hot tub
3. Will the garbage/recycling cans be able to accommodate a large volume of empty adult beverage containers

Everything else sorts itself out.

Bigtinnie

Formerly 'sbooker' in another world.
Skier
I would be open to staying with friends in a house but as we're from sub-tropical Brisbane Australia we our mates aren't skiers.
We usually stay in hotel style accomodation when we travel half way around the world on ski safaris. Eating out of an evening is part of the fun. If breakfast isn't included sometimes we'll buy cereal or granola and bananas for breakfast in the room. If staying slopeside sometimes we'll head back to the room for a sandwich to avoid the resort cafeteria extortion for a day.
The 'half board' thing in European guesthouses sounds good. I guess you'd spend your cash on a nice table service 'longer' lunch on the hill in that case. Those mountain huts in Italy/Austria look fantastic.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Condo / House / Apt. here and usually eat in.
We have a timeshare, never been there, it's in South Africa.... long story.

Anyway, we trade it all around the globe because their currency, the rand, has a great trading value vs other dollar values.
In any given year it will get a ski weeek plus a dive week for under a grand - totally insane.
We have traded for Steamboat, Whistler, Dolomites, Austria and countless others, it works well for us.
When that doesn't work we do VRBO with or without friends.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Guest room at a friend's home. Group-participation dinners.

I'm fortunate to know a number of people in cool places.

But I've been known to sleep in the back of my car in the parking lot.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I go for inexpensive, even I have to drive a bit to the Mountain. Examples:

Studio 6 in SLC
Inexpensive motel (Day's Inn last time) in Bend
Motel 6 in Mammoth Lakes
Motel in Glenwood Springs for Aspen
Least expensive motel in Frisco

Did stay in nice time shares in SLT and near Banff, but they were purchased as part of a package where the primary purchase was a cruise.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I don't understand the terms of the poll. What are we to do with the checkboxes that are questions?

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Accommodation where I can cook. I had a studio at WB this year. I have a 1 bedroom with stand up loft at Tremblant. For the amount of days I ski, I couldn't afford to eat out every night. At Tremblant I plan for a dinner out 1 or 2x a month. Friends know when they come up its eating in. Part of deal is to supply one of the meals as I'm giving you free accommodations at one of the best ski resort in Eastern Canada.

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
Cheap motels and hotels. As long as the sheets are clean and the shower is hot, we're good.

We like to save money on lodging so we have more to spend on skiing.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Funny you should ask. Several of us have started trying to figure out Utah via PM. I love socializing with all you crazies, but as I get older and crabbier I need my space too. Dynamic tension...

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
All other things equal, old school MAP skiers' hotel. E.g., Alta Lodge. Tends to be pricy, though.

Second choice, ski house or condo with 3-5 simpatico friends.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I never realized I had a choice. I just do what Mamie tells me..

HA

My post and poll choices where really made by Mrs. 53, but she has great taste in travel :beercheer:

The eating in/cooking out is mainly due to me as I travel 6 months a year and prefer to not eat in restaurants whenever possible... plus I cook better food than the restaurants serve.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Hokkaido -- ski-out/in hotels (because the package tour rates are the best deal going)
Nozawa -- a lodge w/breakfast & dinner (been going there for almost 30 years)
SLC -- Studio 6 if solo, but I have rented a really nice condo near the base of LCC with a group of friends in the past