• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What is your "go to" comfort food?

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
Lately @Tricia has been craving my pastina & eggs in the morning. It is a breakfast that I grew up on as a child.

A fine pasta mixed with eggs and parm cheese. I am sure a dish that @dean_spirito and @Ron also had as a child
View attachment 26058

Other comfort foods of mine...

Matzo Brei, another peasant breakfast
Matzo Ball Soup that I do a pretty good job of making.

@Tricia makes a mean mac & cheese and I know skiing guests love her sausage gravy & biscuits when they visit.

Pastina intrigue me so I bought the ingredients and made it yesterday. Mmmmmm. It needed a little extra bite, so outdone franks on.

I think I’ll make it again today, this time with some bacon crumbled in.

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
This is interesting
......what nationality are you?

I'm from Croatia, from the coast - but those are all pretty standard dishes around the whole Adriatic coast. Well, except for the flatbread - that's definitely more from the interior of the former Yugoslavia, but it's just so delicious, and I had lots growing up.

I really want to try the fried anchovies. Do you have a recipe and/or are the ingredients available in North America? ....If I try making this, my apt willsmell for sure!

ugh - this is the biggest problem, I've never been able to find fresh anchovies here in Canada. You need fresh anchovies (which are like the cheapest fish back home), and you just gut them, but leave the rest of the body intact. then you just toss them very lightly in some flour, and then throw them into hot oil until they just start to turn golden. you want to take them out before they get totally golden, because you will have overfried them. You also want the least amount of flour possible, so after I toss them in the flour, I actually put a few in a mesh sieve and just lightly tap them to get excess flour off. As soon as you take them out of the hot oil, you have to put the salt on right away (and you put more salt than you think), so that the salt melts right away into the crispy skin. Then eat :) If you want a little more heft, it's also good to chop up some garlic and parsley into very very small pieces, mix with some very good olive oil and either pour some on top of the anchovy as you eat it, or spread it on top of a piece of bread to eat with the anchovy. SO delicious! If you and Peter are in Europe at some point at the same time as I'm at home, we'll make it happen :)

And yes, the house smells, but so totally worth it!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yesterday I was in the mood for chili. Mmmmmm.

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
Mmm, comfort foods....
  • +1 on the matzo ball soup - that my grandma used to make.
  • Pizza - I'm kind of pizza-obsessed and a pizza snob. Joe's Pizza in NYC puts me in heaven every time.
  • Pierogies - though I don't get them much now, but they were my go-to in college (yes, I went to college in PA, but didn't go much for the scrapple)
  • Bacon, egg & cheese sammich - not the fancy kind they try to charge me $11 for in the Bay Area, but the basic kaiser/hard roll, butter, an egg, a slice of American cheese, and some greasy, crispy bacon
  • A dish we call sausage surprise - which makes it sound weirder than it is. In a saute pan - sliced Aidell's red pepper sausage, garlic cloves, olive oil, broccoli (which gets caramelized), pesto, topped with parm cheese. For some reason, I love it.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Mmm, comfort foods....
  • +1 on the matzo ball soup - that my grandma used to make.
  • Pizza - I'm kind of pizza-obsessed and a pizza snob. Joe's Pizza in NYC puts me in heaven every time.
  • Pierogies - though I don't get them much now, but they were my go-to in college (yes, I went to college in PA, but didn't go much for the scrapple)
  • Bacon, egg & cheese sammich - not the fancy kind they try to charge me $11 for in the Bay Area, but the basic kaiser/hard roll, butter, an egg, a slice of American cheese, and some greasy, crispy bacon
  • A dish we call sausage surprise - which makes it sound weirder than it is. In a saute pan - sliced Aidell's red pepper sausage, garlic cloves, olive oil, broccoli (which gets caramelized), pesto, topped with parm cheese. For some reason, I love it.
You need to come to Chez Ziggy.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Hot drink - earl grey hot(said in Picards voice)
Cold drink - arnold palmer
Beer - Gose

Earl Grey?! Pffftt! Steven Smith Teamaker #18, Brahmin, a sophisticated blend of full-bodied, rich and malty Indian Assam, succulent Ceylon Dimbulla, intense and floral Ceylon Uva and a touch of smokey China Keemun for Anhui.

Or a strong Assam chai, with very slight sweetening, strong pepper, cardoman and ginger.

Earl Grey, indeed!

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I haven't had a good "Corned Beef Special" in years.
The place I use to go for Corned Beef (Big Stash's Linden NJ) closed and they demolished the building.:(SO SAD.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
*secretly drinks ~3liters of rose hip tea / day*

c107_p184m.jpg

The place I use to go for Corned Beef (Big Stash's Linden NJ) closed and they demolished the building.:(SO SAD.

Mine is still there, still going strong...since 1915
http://www.attmansdeli.com/pdf/Lombard Street Menu June2014 composite.pdf

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester