• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

James

Out There
Instructor
It's a lot easier to be slow and smooth than fast and smooth.
It's a lot easier to be slow and controlled than fast and controlled.
Everything ramps up at higher speeds.
Being fast may hide mistakes by making them harder for an observer to see, but they'll surely be more and worse.
Well yes, but the point Mikaela was making is "slow is slow". The clock doesn't care if one is smooth or not. And in racing all that matters is the end result.

Plus the aphorism "Slow is smooth and smooth is fast" doesn't actually make sense. It's also I'm pretty sure logically incorrect and I'm sure there's a defined logical fallacy it displays.

Plenty of people are slow and not smooth and smooth is not necessarily fast.

Stenmark used to spend a lot of time skiing very slowly to be very exact.

TS
martyg

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Well yes, but the point Mikaela was making is "slow is slow". The clock doesn't care if one is smooth or not. And in racing all that matters is the end result.

Plus the aphorism "Slow is smooth and smooth is fast" doesn't actually make sense. It's also I'm pretty sure logically incorrect and I'm sure there's a defined logical fallacy it displays.

Plenty of people are slow and not smooth and smooth is not necessarily fast.

Stenmark used to spend a lot of time skiing very slowly to be very exact.

James -

One reason to practice at slow speeds is because it builds stronger neuromuscular pathways - something that I will cover in an upcoming article. It is why Martial Artists do katas very slowly.

On slow is smooth and smooth is fast.... I stand by that. Step back from being the observer and be the athlete. On those runs on snow or on the river where I was a tick off I looked rushed, and was consistently over compensating, using big muscles to make big adjustments instead of small muscles to make minute adjustments. My times sucked. On those runs where my intent was clearer to me, where I was more focused and in step each move felt like I had ample time. I was in that state of flow where time slowed. My best times are when I was in that place. The same applies to any situation in free skiing where you have obstacles.

Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast. If you take the term literally, if you have't experienced it, it looses its meaning.

TS
martyg

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
It's a lot easier to be slow and smooth than fast and smooth.
It's a lot easier to be slow and controlled than fast and controlled.
Everything ramps up at higher speeds.
Being fast may hide mistakes by making them harder for an observer to see, but they'll surely be more and worse.

And that is why we have video analysis. That is why every skier should be videoed by someone who is skilled at movement analysis at least once a year, preferably on day one.

James

Out There
Instructor
James -

One reason to practice at slow speeds is because it builds stronger neuromuscular pathways - something that I will cover in an upcoming article. It is why Martial Artists do katas very slowly.

On slow is smooth and smooth is fast.... I stand by that. Step back from being the observer and be the athlete. On those runs on snow or on the river where I was a tick off I looked rushed, and was consistently over compensating, using big muscles to make big adjustments instead of small muscles to make minute adjustments. My times sucked. On those runs where my intent was clearer to me, where I was more focused and in step each move felt like I had ample time. I was in that state of flow where time slowed. My best times are when I was in that place. The same applies to any situation in free skiing where you have obstacles.

Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast. If you take the term literally, if you have't experienced it, it looses its meaning.

"One reason to practice at slow speeds is because it builds stronger neuromuscular pathways "

Well no argument there.

"Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast. If you take the term literally, if you have't experienced it, it looses its meaning."

Well it might work in the usage if one uses "literally" in the metaphorical, figurative sense. Which, apparently, is quite older than millenials and even our current President.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/misuse-of-literally

But, if we use the literal meaning of the words, as I think you meant, no, it doesn't work. So we are stuck with hand waving and "you know" and "like" to massage the phrase to what it actually is supposed to mean. Then why bother with such a phrase at all?

Why must we use aphorisms which are not true? Do we really need some pithy statement that badly? Does everything need to be reduced to a few words even if it's a huge stretch of language and meaning?

Yeah, I get what you mean, but it doesn't match the 7 word statement. If it requires conditions, explanations, - then it really doesn't work. It only "works", if it does, with people who have no stake in actually going fast around set obstacles. Ie, racers. And they're not buying it. Don't take my word for it, take the word of the best female slalom skier in the world. One who practices slowly and fast, nearly endlessly.

Using the slowing of time in a flow state has little to do with getting into a flow state. The biggest barrier to a flow state, given extensive prior preparation, would be one's mind. And sometime's it just doesn't happen. What's the athlete to do then? Just give up? Sometimes you just have to grind it out.

Skiing is a strange activity where some movements happen relatively slowly, and some quite fast. Trying to reduce it to 7 words which don't make literal or logical sense I don't think helps. Maybe it needs 15 words. Or a paragraph. Or a page. Or none of those.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Anyone that spends time on skis and doesn't fall, is a good skier. Learn all the right movements and discard the unnecessary ones makes them a better skier. Its a system, mental focus and relaxing at my age.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
"He/she's a good skier" or, "strong" are sort of the operative superlatives in the PNW. We're sort of understated that way.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I always liked Weems' description of "There's beginner, intermediate, advanced, expert and 'good', as in 'Wow, (s)he's good'"

Are we talking about "good" (as in the common usage of that word) or Weems' good? I think of the former as just always being in motion, they're always moving into the next turn, they're in dynamic balance, there's no static "park and ride" moments, etc.

Weems' good though seems harder to describe. I know it when I see it. Take the various videos of Mikaela doing drills on easy terrain; even if you didn't know who it was, you'd watch that and immediately think "dayum, she is good"

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Anyone that spends time on skis and doesn't fall, is a good skier. Learn all the right movements and discard the unnecessary ones makes them a better skier. Its a system, mental focus and relaxing at my age.
One can survive down a run without falling but that doesn't at all mean they are good at skiing. And good skiers can and do fall.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
The first prerequisite for judging a good (great?) skier is that they are humble, and do not brag about their skiing or the run they just took...just sayin'...
Why is that so?
I mean in genral I never was much a bragger about things by nature. But what does that have to do with how good someone is?

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
For skiing mechanics, there's such a broad range of idealogies, ranging from "skiers just need a steering wheel and a brake" to "every skier must carve efficiently". So, the definition of a "good skier" really depends on the observer and their context. Instructors, like the OP, will have an extensive system of standards, criteria and beliefs on this - because of their extensive technical training to facilitate their teaching profession. Recreational skiers probably have different opinions on what a "good" skier is. I also believe that while most recreational skiers dream of being "good" skiers some day, they would just like to be "good enough" so they can truly enjoy the sport.

As for me, I ski for the joy & freedom of it. I am aware of all the "rules" for "good" skiing, but I don't obsess over them and tend to regard them as - uh - "guidelines".

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
One can survive down a run without falling but that doesn't at all mean they are good at skiing. And good skiers can and do fall.
Good is subjective. Yes high level skiers do fall. Just not as often.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, this should be fun.................:popcorn:

Not that I disagree with the various viewpoints presented. Smooth can be fast-Pepi Neubauer is a perfect example, but smooth can be slow-a lot of ski instructors I know.

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
OK, this should be fun.................:popcorn:

Not that I disagree with the various viewpoints presented. Smooth can be fast-Pepi Neubauer is a perfect example, but smooth can be slow-a lot of ski instructors I know.

Agree.

There are times when I'm at the end of a run when my legs are burning & I think to my self "OK, you really over-drove your skis & line on that one" (translation: sacrificed "efficiency" for over-aggressive carves - super fun but way more work). While on the chair ride back to the top, I decide "OK, this time do smoother & efficient". Sometimes I follow through with this (mostly). But most times - after a few turns - I get bored, ditch the idea and seek more aggressive angles & speed... and proceed to burn my legs up again. It's just more fun for me.

On the other hand: in high-consequence gnarly steeps, smoooooth & efficient is often a wise strategy ;^)

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Good skiers can not only survive the tough lines but ski them well. Pretty much my only goal.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think there are two types of good.......there are - "good skiers" but then there are people who "ski good."

many years back (some decades) when I did ski more often I always felt I was a good skier. And honestly for where and what I skied I was often among the better skiers in any random group at a given times on whatever run being skied. I never felt I was the best and also understood the smaller (though large by sheer numbers) group of those I still wanted to ski as well as. None the less I was imo "good'

Then during a one week trip to a resort I took somewhat advanced lessons package every day in the am and practiced what I learned in that same afternoon. By the time I was done with that week of morning lessons it opened a new world of good. I was now more technical. It was easier to ski. I was more efficient and I could ski more variables better.

There were simply little things I wasn't technically doing so correctly even though I was a "good skier" in my own opinion. So I went at that time from being what id call a "good skier" to then eventually I became one who "skis good." I mean at least at that time in my life and for how much I was able to ski.

And so since then I always feel there are "good skiers" and resorts do have plenty of them on their slopes. They are not at all most people (over here in the east) but there are a lot of them. But then we have people who (by my definitions) are not just good skiers but instead "ski good". The main difference between the two imo are technical which imo brings about efficiency and fluidity and in the end greater ability.

But these things take resources of time. money, and a desire to make the efforts. Very many lean years of skiing would then lie in my future once married and raising a fam of my own. Many years no skiing and most others only minimal. . FF to nowadays and a little more skiing is in my life again. Not a whole lot nor ever what it was back in the day. And during the many years of little to no skiing somewhere we changed to shaped skis. I had to now sort of re-learn a couple years back on my first new sticks in many years. And honestly I still am. I am again becoming good but I also understand the difference between (what is in my mind) a good skier vs one who skis good. The later is what I drive towards. I don't have the resources nor do I ski nearly enough as I wish so the process is not quick at all. But I do totally get what it means to "ski good" and so I read and watch instruction and apply it when I go skiing.

I practice technique on flatter blues and also even plenty greens, heck I even do it on flats between chairs up top and then take those feelings of what I practice to the steeper blues and blacks and doubles and when I feel up to it , some bumps. Something i did very well back in the day..lol . But I always resort back to some flat area to work on whatever I feel I need to. I don't want to just ski down runs as (what is in my mind) a good skier and may even look good to an onlooker. That's what I had once many years ago before those lessons and revelation. But I instead want to have what I gained after that revelation.....I want to truly "ski good" down those runs. That's what drives me in this recreation I chose to participate in. I really enjoy being someone who can "ski good"

That is my opinion on what "good" is. I have two brothers who often skis with us and about the same amount and years as me. While they both love it and are good they don't quite get this part. They are good skiers but honestly they don't ski good as for what I know the differnces to be. Its been this way since we were young and even they were involved with those lessons years bask too. But they never quite seen this light I feel I see. Perhaps just not the same desire or perhaps just don't care quite as much or just perhaps didn't really catch what I caught back then to open my mind to different way of thinking as to just what "good" is. But there is a difference (as good as they may ski) between them and myself as for technical efficiency. But I (as I always did ever since tat time decades ago) keep trying to work at improving that and they not so much. But they have great enjoyment and fun and do just dandy so to them it doesn't matter that they may or not quite get what it is I experience and/or feel about this.

So knowing and learning how to ski great is all in the eye of the beholder. Some of this goes back to my earlier post implying that you cant miss what you don't know about. I happen to think its important part of "my" skiing to be the best skier I can within my resources to do so. I have a general desire and interest to "ski good" and not just be a good skier. I can appreciate the difference between the two. Will I get to where I want to be? Probably wont have the time, but little by little I find a little higher level of enjoyment the times I ski good vs the times Im simply a good skier and I have one big advantage imo because I feel I experience and understand the difference.