• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What about Knee Binding?

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Just saw the Doctor. Not sure about the knee replacement now. That was the Physician’s Assistant’s evaluation which is all I had to go on. Maybe just need some meniscus clean up. Need MRI to check it out. Getting that scheduled right now.

CADS are great. I highly recommend them. http://cads.com/ I’ve used them for about 9 years. They take a lot of stress off the knees.

Also there is the Againer. http://againer-ski.com/?v=7516fd43adaa Haven’t tried it but have seen it in use.

I have used the Ski Mojo, http://www.skimojo.com/. They did not impress me. The rod connection ‘bit’ into my calf and they didn’t have a real preload like CADS.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not a patent attorney, but given the kneebindngs were developed to add an additional feature, be it good or bad, and incorporate an additional interface b/w the ski boot and ski, have other binding companies tried to develop different release point ala kneebindings?

are they just waiting for the patent to expire and come up with their own version of binding with an added release interface b/w the ski boot and ski?

Since the release of the kneebindings have other binding companies beem propelled or incentivized to research if an added release component is worth it?
There are other bindings that release at the heel, all pin bindings, and Fritschi also at the toe.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have spoken several times with Rick Howell both via email and phone have the upmost respect for his knowledge and understanding of bindings and how they function.:beercheer:

ACL injuries are caused mostly by force applied to inside rear edge in an outward direction behind the rear binding. This really didn’t start occurring until shaped skis. The kneebindings extra release mode applies only in this condition.

I can only wish others fully understand his passion and understanding for the sport.

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
If that was me i would choose a different sport. swimming perhaps. cycling. cross country skiing. fishing. idk...

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
All things considered I would wait for Rick Howell's binding that he was trying to put on the market to compete with Knee-binding, if he ever gets it off the ground. Otherwise, for the money, I would just get the top Tyrolia race binding and research what not to do to avoid knee injuries, and by what not to do, I mean specific moves or corrections to make in a fall, not avoid skiing fast. Not skiing fast is just crazy talk!

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Having been a old straight (GS) skier until 2010, and switching to shaped skis (GS) I nearly did in my ACL on the day 6 of the new skis. How by getting caught back seat dragging the rear inside edge. What stopped tearing the ACL (though pulling it enough that it hurt for the rest season) was completely relaxing and jamming the PX15’s into my butt until the edge released without running into the trees. I had read enough prior to this to know the mechanics (thank you RH, those on Epic and many that moved here for all that information) coupled with shear luck that I did the right thing at the right moment, so I’m not going to claim skill was a factor here in any regard.

Want to ski safe don’t ski in the back seat, period, ACL injury waiting to happen, only shear luck will prevent it, and luck is a fickle Mistress.

@pipestem....safer sports.... swimming has shoulder, knees and concussions, cycling easy one cars, sewer grates, and trees, cross-country wild animals and snowsnakes, fishing other fisherman and fish hooks, skiing is safer ogwink

JWMN

Getting off the lift
Skier
Skiing fast and having time to think about how to fall to avoid a knee injury seems contradictory. I never expect to fall, at any speed, so when it happens it happens so fast it's usually over before I have time to think about it.
I have been skiing KB for 5 or 6 years. I had one fall where I am sure they saved a knee. It was backwards, twisting fall. I heard a snap and thought there goes a knee, but it was just the binding releasing. They are an excellent performing binding, and I figure the extra cost is way, way less then an injury would be.
I do hope we can all be on the snow again soon!

All things considered I would wait for Rick Howell's binding that he was trying to put on the market to compete with Knee-binding, if he ever gets it off the ground. Otherwise, for the money, I would just get the top Tyrolia race binding and research what not to do to avoid knee injuries, and by what not to do, I mean specific moves or corrections to make in a fall, not avoid skiing fast. Not skiing fast is just crazy talk!

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Skiing fast and having time to think about how to fall to avoid a knee injury seems contradictory. I never expect to fall, at any speed, so when it happens it happens so fast it's usually over before I have time to think about it.
Clearly you need to fall a few more hundred times . :duck:
Sometimes it is amazing how much time slows down and how much you can think about in a fraction of a second. Other times it's over before you know it, but even for those times when my journey through time is at the usual pace, I've learned to react properly (touching wood).
EDIT: that is, as far as strain on the knees is concerned; I'm still working on protecting arms, shoulders and ribs.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dave Petersen
    Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid