• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pacific NW/AK/BC Western Gathering 2017 - Whistler Blackcomb

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Unofficial DAY 1 - Early Arrivals

So sorry we missed @bobojoe108, I should have sent you a number to text to or at least my email. I can't believe you went to the trouble of getting a taxi and we didn't know cause i didn't check morning pm's (. We did have a great day, if you are still here tomorrow you could possible meet up with @KingGrump and @DanoT . I have a clinic i have to attend tomorrow. Here's the photos though of the 5 cm fresh powder we got.

Below, is the Excalibur Gondola Meet up place. This is where we will meet at 8:15 each morning. We won't necessarily go up it, but it's an open quiet area near everything (locker rooms, on hill ski storage etc) that we can group at then go up Whistler or Blackcomb, what ever your group and you decide.

IMG_9611.jpg

Pano view of the morning meet up area below.

GatheringMeetupSpot_1.jpg

Early arrivers, wish I had met up with you @bobojoe108, again sorry you're not in the photo (.
Day1_IMG_9616_1.jpg

People seem to think this wasn't optimum conditions, something about skiing Braille. But @KingGrump has told me how much he likes this and how good it is for our skiing many times so it was done.

Day1_IMG_9618.jpg
Group shot and welcome Kevin Ho, he will get time to sign up eventually but will join us when possible this week. @DanoT , @KingGrump , @MrsGrump, and Kevin.
Day1_IMG_9621_1.jpg

Dano making the best of the 5 cm Fresh reported by WB this morning. Day1_IMG_9631.jpg
Hope we get many more 5 cm's like this while the gathering is on.

Day1_IMG_9634.jpg
Nice snow day, finally covered the crispy layer underneath.
Day1_IMG_9636_2.jpg
Kevin
Day1_IMG_9641.jpg
Mrs Grump looking for some nice turns.
Day1_IMG_9645_1.jpg Day1_IMG_9646_2.jpg Day1_IMG_9651_1.jpg
@KingGrump trying to find the line Dano took but missing some.
Day1_IMG_9663_1.jpg Day1_IMG_9664.jpg Day1_IMG_9665_1.jpg Day1_IMG_9668.jpg
Ride on the Glass bottom gondola for the afternoon at Blackcomb
Day1_IMG_9676.jpg
Maybe I'm strange but the floor window doesn't equate to a glass bottom to me and isn't worth the wait, you can decide for yourself when you're here.
Day1_IMG_9679.jpg
Rail around the glass window in the bottom of the gondola.
Day1_IMG_9680.jpg

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Plan an après meetup place and time for Saturday evening, please.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, well, Saturday night at the main Village is going to be busy and hard to find table space. I'm thinking Village North, and not expensive. Tacos La Cantina at the Marketplace fits the bill, plus it's close the Cascade Lodge where I'll be staying. 8pm-ish to allow time to check in (after 4pm), get unpacked, relax after a long drive.

I posted this as well in the main Gathering thread; since this is a Trip Report thread I'll refrain from more "planning" posts here.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Typically, the very first night is a matter of people finding their way and meeting up with a few others, not the whole group, mostly because so many people are still arriving and some aren't settled yet.

When we did the Tahoe gathering it was a little different because we had @bud heishman 's clinic so he hosted an event at his shop. We had a big après' Ski time at the pasta place on the way back from Mt Rose Demo day. Start Haus hosted an event at their shop on Thursday night, after we skied Squaw, and of course, the wedding celebration Sushi. But that was a different event, the likes of which rarely happen at a Gathering.

At JH when UL organized, he didn't have an official après' planned, but some (I forget who) planned an evening at their cabins. ....But the first night a few of us went to Bubba's for dinner.

The Grumps hosted a few GTG's at their ski house over the years.

Anyone can do it.

We'll be in touch as we get closer and decide what we're doing on our first night.

Last edited:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
At JH when UL organized, he didn't have an official après' planned, but some (I forget who) planned an evening at their cabins
That was Rainbow Jenny, Near Nyquist, SpikeDog and his wife, and me and my son (3 cabins at the Elk Country Inn). But since our cabin was at the end of the row, the party never made it that far. And we straightened up and everything!

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My first night at Jackson, I met up with Rainbow Jenny and Near Nyquist for burgers and brew. We ended up carpooling every day, along with Jim Kenny when he arrived in town and shared the condo with me. Fun times.

That's all I'm looking for, Pugsters who want to meet up. Doesn't have to be everyone. Although it could be.....

Not sure I even want to post this on Epic. I mean we have to keep the riff-raff out, eh?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
3 hours below Portlandia

Gathermeister-Whistler

Booting up
Industry Insider
weet, so exciting. Robin just arrived! OMG it was an epic powder day today, may the snow continue. Did a steeps clinic, dropped into Saphire bowl off spanky's for my first time, it's a very doable entry this year! Snow was incredible today though we definitely lacked visibility as it kept falling. Whistler reports 41cm in past 24hr. That's 16 inches. Looks like Saturday will possibly see some sunshine, then Sunday cloudy and a little snow each day with cold temps to help the snow hold up.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That was Rainbow Jenny, Near Nyquist, SpikeDog and his wife, and me and my son (3 cabins at the Elk Country Inn). But since our cabin was at the end of the row, the party never made it that far. And we straightened up and everything!
I thought you were involved with that. Mostly I remember floating from cabin to cabin.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
66424347.jpg

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
Layover for connection in SEA between 1100 and 1300 pacific on 3/4 if anyone wants a drink, you know, just to kick things off proper.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
6 hours into travel day we've already had a mini epic. TSA pre check? Don't wear Italian boots. Oh and one of our group is now flying a 3leg voyage instead of the scheduled two. Don't ask, my forehead is already sore from repeated face palms. Let's just hope he gets into Kansas City OK. He is 3 hours behind schedule so no group tacos for us.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Good luck- my flight was cancelled yesterday as I was getting ready to leave for airport. Getting the right person on the phone saved me from arriving a day late.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
oooh, bummer. We are in the Toronto airport, customs went smoothly, plenty of time to connect. The one issue so far is that our Canadian phone coverage solution does not seem to have worked. Pam is on the phone with customer service now.

Update - whoever she talked to originally was smoking something. We are now on the $60/month/phone to-add-Canada option, BUT because the first person messed up, we are getting it for free! (At least that's the story now. I'll reserve judgement till the next bill arrives.)

By the way, if you ever are in D Gate wing at the Toronto airport, the restuarant called "Twist" is excellent.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January