• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Early season or late season over rocky terrain can bite the best of us from time to time. Sometimes it happens anytime!

Here is one way to deal with it DIY if you have a place to work on skis.

Welded Base Repair The Video

clickflashwhirp

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Inactive
Early season or late season over rocky terrain can bite the best of us from time to time. Sometimes it happens anytime!

Hi Jacques,

Have uploaded the pictures of three skis. Ski 1 is about 1-1.5mm deep at it's deepest. Skis 2 and 3 about 1mm at theirs, roughly the white of the thumb nail. Ski 2 has a wider more gnarly scratch that's about 4mm across. If you could advise as to what you would do with each so that I can build up a rough idea of when best to get the soldering-type repair iron out and when to leave alone it would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Matt

Attachments

• Ski 1 (1).JPG
    Ski 1 (1).JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Ski 1 (2).JPG
    Ski 1 (2).JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Ski 2 (1).JPG
    Ski 2 (1).JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 55
  • Ski 2.JPG
    Ski 2.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 55
  • Ski 3 (1).JPG
    Ski 3 (1).JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Ski 3 (2).JPG
    Ski 3 (2).JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 52

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi Jacques,

Have uploaded the pictures of three skis. Ski 1 is about 1-1.5mm deep at it's deepest. Skis 2 and 3 about 1mm at theirs, roughly the white of the thumb nail. Ski 2 has a wider more gnarly scratch that's about 4mm across. If you could advise as to what you would do with each so that I can build up a rough idea of when best to get the soldering-type repair iron out and when to leave alone it would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Matt

I'm not Jacques, but other than making sure the base is flat and there is no material sticking up around the scratches, I don't think you need to do anything with those. From the pictures, none of them are deep enough to be anywhere close to being core shots, and I don't think there's any benefit to filling them. If you fill those, all you'll accomplish is to create an area on your skis that won't take wax.

You could use a Ski Visions base flattener or maybe just a steel scraper to take down the material around the scratches.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You could use a Ski Visions base flattener or maybe just a steel scraper to take down the material around the scratches.
Or a box cutter. Run the blade way out so the handle isn't in the way and you can hold the blade flat to the base. Be conservative, finish with a metal scraper. Small bumps, just use the scraper.

TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier
Hi Jacques,

Kind regards,

Matt

Would be easier if you uploaded full size photos, but that's okay. I can see them all just fine.
Ski 1: Just remove the high spots. See this video(s). They are the Deburring & Waxing Series.
Ski 2: A bit close to edge, but not too deep looking. Remove highs and maybe repair as it is close to edge.
Ski 3: Don't sweat the small stuff! Remove highs only.

Hope that helps and welcome to PugSki!

clickflashwhirp

Inactive
Would be easier if you uploaded full size photos, but that's okay. I can see them all just fine.
Ski 1: Just remove the high spots. See this video(s). They are the Deburring & Waxing Series.
Ski 2: A bit close to edge, but not too deep looking. Remove highs and maybe repair as it is close to edge.
Ski 3: Don't sweat the small stuff! Remove highs only.

Hope that helps and welcome to PugSki!

Thank you, may or may not seem like a small thing but starting out the experience of when and when not to repair just isn't there. Really appreciate it.

clickflashwhirp

Inactive
Or a box cutter. Run the blade way out so the handle isn't in the way and you can hold the blade flat to the base. Be conservative, finish with a metal scraper. Small bumps, just use the scraper.

Thanks for the advice, I'm gathering from the both of you that a depth on the ski base of a mm or two is preferable to have a smooth surface that doesn't take wax. Again, appreciate the input.

TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier
Thanks for the advice, I'm gathering from the both of you that a depth on the ski base of a mm or two is preferable to have a smooth surface that doesn't take wax. Again, appreciate the input.

Don't get to sweaty about the area of repair as far as wax absorption. If you use the welded method you will be okay. It's the folks that drip a p-tex candle all over the skis base for small scratches that ruin a good base. Also some of the shops that use an extruder over heat an inch or wider for a 1/8 inch gouge. That's not the best thing to do. It's quick and easy for them, but not the best for a discriminating ski person. Don't use the candle method ever. It's just a cosmetic repair that ruins too much base while it's dripped all over the place. It creates a soft repair that won't last either.

Better to spend your time doing multiple waxing cycles of heating and cooling to get those skis running well.

Good luck to you!

TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier
Thank you, may or may not seem like a small thing but starting out the experience of when and when not to repair just isn't there. Really appreciate it.

It 's all good. We all start from the same square. Many ski shops will gladly take your money for nothing and your chicks for free. It's good that you are seeking advice from those that have been there and done that.

As you can see in the video link that this thread is about, those are gouges that DO need repair. Base material is not very thick. However, even if it's not a core shot, yet is close to an edge and or not going in the general direction of travel and deep looking, that would be good to fix.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
As you can see in the video link that this thread is about, those are gouges that DO need repair. Base material is not very thick. However, even if it's not a core shot, yet is close to an edge and or not going in the general direction of travel and deep looking, that would be good to fix.

I think we'd all agree with that. Hard to tell how deep from a photo (or to visualize from your numerical estimates).

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier

Think of it as structure.

Ditto. You just want to cut off the high points or any bit that could grab onto something and pull off more.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Ditto. You just want to cut off the high points or any bit that could grab onto something and pull off more.

I think our Ski Vision base planer with the coarse stone cuts a deeper structure than that. :cool::D

TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier
I think our Ski Vision base planer with the coarse stone cuts a deeper structure than that. :cool::D

Or, as with a sharp steel scraper, could be used to take down the highs spots surrounding the gouges.

Reactions: NE1

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It's OK @Jacques . I was just funning the newbie.

Last edited:
TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier

As of the last three months or so this is the most viewed video on my channel. Like 175 or so views every day.
Go figure! Bachelor is finally getting enough snow now to slow down the occurrence, but it is still happening.
PRAY FOR SNOW and if you get a core shot...........fix it!

TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier

Bump because the tuning section is dead now! Maybe spring will bring this need again!

WHAT? How did that go to the wrong video? Someone has been messing with the OP!

Here is the original video I linked!

I hope "someone" does not come in and switch the link to the Slidewright video again.
That seems not very nice to me. Hy-jacked my link?

Last edited:

bigskymtnguy

Booting up
Skier
I am a fan of the Ski Visions base tool, especially with the stone. A substantial investment for as home-tuner, but well worth it.

Sponsor

Staff online