• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Weak poles

Ptrqc

Booting up
Skier
Started using a pair of new LEKI Quantum TS4.5 poles (after my 10 year old faithful Komperdell made Volkl poles funally snapped), and was surprised they bent really easily.
So ended up with a bent pole that I then tried to straighten.
Contacted LEKI: first reply they recommended changing the shaft (for a small fee).
Then they got back saying they were unable to replace the shaft and that I would be okay to ski with the bent pole.
Confused customer is the result.
Anyone else have similar experience? Okay to continue to ski with the pole? IMG_0906.JPG

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
How old were they?

My boyfriend bent his in a perfect right angle after a pretty impressive fall and he bent it back as much as he could. They were 4-5 seasons old (30-40 days a piece) and held on for another season or two before the bent one finally broke.

It's not unsafe, but the bend just makes it more susceptible to durability issues down the road.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The 4.5 is an entry to mid level pole with a mid grade aluminum, most poles in this range from any manufacturer is susceptible of bending. This is why there are higher end poles that are more expensive, they are made of higher end materials. A good example is LEKI's race poles or a pole like a Scott World Cup, these poles cost over $100 (not on sale, there they are less) but they will hold up and are as durable as any pole can be. Or go the @jzmtl way and buy the cheapest poles and expect them to bend.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
$10 thrift store FTW. Burlier old alu poles, cool vintage graphics, possibility of snagging some Scott sword grips or similar. Bomberer poles plus you fon't give a crap when you do kill them.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I have used expensive poles and cheap poles but have not found a lot of difference. Only the expensive ones get stolen more frequently.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I bend mine back using a vice every 10-20 days of skiing. I'm a big dude and I pole around a lot on the flats which is what does it I think.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
$10 thrift store FTW. Burlier old alu poles, cool vintage graphics, possibility of snagging some Scott sword grips or similar. Bomberer poles plus you fon't give a crap when you do kill them.
THIS. I have so many poles I've run out of room, LEKI, Goode, Scott, Carbon, Alu, sdjustable, 44"-50" assorted sizes.. Always keep a spare pair in the ski box. Last season some noob wrecked his brand new poles at the mid station while we were chatting on the way up. I handed him my poles and went down to the car and got another pair.

Actually, ski box rough jostling is the only way I've bent, very slightly bent a pole this century. I wish all my pole had breakaway straps because that will prevent them from bending/breaking when you fall on them.. And will also prevent that thigh bruise as well. How come it seems like only LEKI still do the detachable straps? I do have a pair of Goodes with removable and re attachable straps but other than that only older Kermas. Scotts have that pin that will break under duress to release the strap but then you have to get a new pin. Is the breakaway and easily re attachable strap such a profit killer that vendors stopped building it in to affordable poles??

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Started using a pair of new LEKI Quantum TS4.5 poles (after my 10 year old faithful Komperdell made Volkl poles funally snapped), and was surprised they bent really easily.
So ended up with a bent pole that I then tried to straighten.
Contacted LEKI: first reply they recommended changing the shaft (for a small fee).
Then they got back saying they were unable to replace the shaft and that I would be okay to ski with the bent pole.
Confused customer is the result.
Anyone else have similar experience? Okay to continue to ski with the pole? View attachment 39929

I have new LEKI poles this season, the cheapo ones. Already bent one just like the one you posted, bent it back, kept using it.

I like those grass sticks! Need to get a pair. :D

jzmtl

Intermidiot
Skier
I have used expensive poles and cheap poles but have not found a lot of difference. Only the expensive ones get stolen more frequently.

That too, I have a pair of carbon poles that I'm afraid to use, lots of sticky fingers at bigger hills.

dusty

Getting on the lift
Skier
Scott Team poles if you want aluminum poles that will not bend.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Goode carbons seem to last forever and parts can be acquired. Mine are 20+ years old, still doing great with new tip and basket on one.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So far my 35 year old poles no bends just knicks from abuse. My newest poles same.

I find top end race poles just take abuse and come back for more. If you manage to bend one you’re likely hurt and seriously injured.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I have had my Goode poles for so long that I have started to wear the rubber off the grips. Replacement grips from Goode are $18 plus $18 shipping to Canada, so I will visit their factory in Ogden while at the Gathering and see if I can buy direct as well as get baskets and pole tips for a friend.

OTOH, my long wearing experience with Goode poles could have something to do with my lack of pole planting.:duck:

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Most of my poles are bent from skiing tight trees and pole vaults and crazy pole recoveries. Skiing with slightly bent poles is fine IMHO.