• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Actually, her name is Alma Deutscher. She began playing piano at age two, violin at three, composing and improvising at four, her first piano sonata at six, a short opera at seven, a violin concerto at nine, and a full-length opera (which premiered in Vienna) at ten.

Here are clips of her playing the third movement of her violin concerto with the Israel Philharmonic, and about the opera. They're both entirely her own work: all of the orchestration, story line, lyrics, everything.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I just saw her on 60 Minutes last weekend - great story.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I'll really be interested in her when she comes out of the 18th century and joins us here in the 21st. Her talent is beyond belief, but her style was used up a long time ago. There is plenty of legitimate art music being made at the present and when she develops a style of her own, then she'll really shine.

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
her style was used up a long time ago
Used up? Lots of music of that "style" are still being created and mass consumed, notably in movies.

I have no doubt she'll eventually develop her own style. But there's no guarantee it'll be the style along the same theme fashionable for the current crop of commercial production. So if you feel that's not "legitimate", that's fine.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Used up? Lots of music of that "style" are still being created and mass consumed, notably in movies.

I have no doubt she'll eventually develop her own style. But there's no guarantee it'll be the style along the same theme fashionable for the current crop of commercial production. So if you feel that's not "legitimate", that's fine.
I think you misunderstood my point. I was commenting on current music being composed in modern style as being "legitimate." I made no comment on the legitimacy of her music. I wasn't even thinking of commercial production. Her music is definitely grounded in the 18th century and similar movie music that is being composed today either is designed to copy that style, or uses original music from the period. There are no copyrights on any of it, so it's public domain and open to ripping off as much as one likes. Movie composers have to be fluent in all styles and able to switch them at a heartbeat.

She strikes me as the kind of person who will do whatever she pleases. She could have a stunning solo career as a performer, but if she continues to compose in the style of Mozart and his ilk she will not find a ready audience for it when she becomes an adult. Right now it is amazing, but in the future it will not be remarkable except that a child wrote it. If she continues as a composer, she will need to write in a contemporary style or, as is likely, a new style of her own making.

Both Herbie Hancock and Oscar Peterson, legendary jazz pianists, started out their musical careers as classical piano soloists. She's a great musician and, like them, she could completely change direction. The sky is her limit.

TS
chilehed

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll really be interested in her when she comes out of the 18th century and joins us here in the 21st. Her talent is beyond belief, but her style was used up a long time ago. There is plenty of legitimate art music being made at the present and when she develops a style of her own, then she'll really shine.
I think she has a very good attitude about that:

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
I think you misunderstood my point. I was commenting on current music being composed in modern style as being "legitimate." I made no comment on the legitimacy of her music. I wasn't even thinking of commercial production. Her music is definitely grounded in the 18th century and similar movie music that is being composed today either is designed to copy that style, or uses original music from the period. There are no copyrights on any of it, so it's public domain and open to ripping off as much as one likes. Movie composers have to be fluent in all styles and able to switch them at a heartbeat.
I guess I didn't quite understand your original comment about the "legitimacy" of modern style. I still don't. But that's not all that important.

Most composer started out by imitating anyway. And most of classical soloist never got much success composing for the most part. Relatively few composers are successful soloist either. So it's not clear which way she'll end up in.

The surprise was she even have enough emotional complexity in her music, given her age and lack of life experience. Even Mozart's early music showed that, compare to his later works.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Sorry for the confusion. My use of the word "legitimate" can be read in two ways.
1. I was speaking to a general audience and when most people talk about Western art music they use the word "Classical" to define the entire genre. Among musicians the term "classical" refers to the style of music written by Haydn, Mozart, and early Beethoven among many others. It does not refer to the music of Richard Strauss, Bach, Wagner, Stravinsky, and most others. So in using "legitimate" I was referring to the fact that there is a lot of other great music that does not fit in the Classical category, including the music of today.
2. Jazz musicians use a shortened form of "legitimate" to refer to what the general public calls "Classical." As in, "She's a "legit" player," to indicate that she plays "Classical" (or Western art music) and not jazz.

TS
chilehed

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, I'd seen that one, but I don't think the thread wouldn't have gotten much attention if I hadn't used Mozart's name!

She's a charming young lady, I hope she has a long, happy and productive life letting us all hear the music in her head.

Sponsor