• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

We like each other a lot!

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I volunteer to do some analytics on the patterns of likes if given the data. What threads in what forums garner the most likes? Who is crushing the post/like ratio? Are the sentiments in posts which garner more or less likes? Do likes garner more likes? Who likes the most?

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I volunteer to do some analytics on the patterns of likes if given the data. What threads in what forums garner the most likes? Who is crushing the post/like ratio? Are the sentiments in posts which garner more or less likes? Do likes garner more likes? Who likes the most?

I'm not sure if we have an area to see who likes most but if you go to the membership list, you can see the posts and likes under the username.
https://forum.pugski.com/members/

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
When we're ready to take this thread on a tangent - is there an etiquette to using the Like button? I'm not on FB so other than the forums I have no experience with it. So I never use it - just pretend it's not there.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Most Likes HERE. Unfortunately, it doesn't show the full story. there are many that are 1:1, quite a few that are 2:1 Likes to Posts, then here are some unrealy ratios like @AC_ when he signed on here when Epic was shutting down with 53 Likes with only 4 posts.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The etiquette is, if you like something and want to click on it, click on it.
As Pat said, sometimes she uses it because she doesn't really want to reply but wants to let the person who took the time to post it, that it was useful.

I like the like button because sometimes I have nothing new to add but still want to express interest -as opposed to just silently reading.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I like the like button because sometimes I have nothing new to add but still want to express interest -as opposed to just silently reading.
IMHO this is the reason for the button. I will say when I go to a forum that doesn't have the tool, I do miss it.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We're good enough, we're smart enough and doggone it, people Like us!

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I just happened to notice the post/like ratio on another website on a similar platform, and wondered how it looked on this site.
Turns out, we like each other a lot, and I LIKE it! :thumb:

Thank you for being the kind of community members who post things that deserve likes and thank you for showing your appreciation for those who take the time to curate good content. :hail:

It is true that we love one another!

:hug:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
When we're ready to take this thread on a tangent - is there an etiquette to using the Like button? I'm not on FB so other than the forums I have no experience with it. So I never use it - just pretend it's not there.

The etiquette is:
You are allowed to "like" any post I make.

PS- what is this "FB" of which you speak?

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor

That's actually a good question (btw, I don't use FB, either).

I think we tend to use the like button, primarily, to thank someone for putting together a good post, as @Tricia suggested in the OP. A post that contributes to a subject.

In the few threads that are more about opinions, I think people sometimes like something to indicate they agree. But I see it more as a reward to the author for contributing to the conversation. I have liked many posts I disagree with, because I think they are insightful.

In terms of etiquette: I think it is nice when people who ask a question, like the answers that are on topic and help them with their question. I consider that good etiquette. But it's not required, or perhaps, even universally understood that way.

There go my two cents :)

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think we tend to use the like button, primarily, to thank someone for putting together a good post, as @Tricia suggested in the OP. A post that contributes to a subject.
Example:
I'm not terribly knowledgeable about ski racing, but I get excited about some of the conversations about it. When someone who's really knowledgeable about it posts something that helps me learn or is a good source of information, I don't have anything to contribute to the topic but I want to let the member who took the time to post about it that I appreciate the information, so I :thumb:
I supposed I could quote the reply with a :yeah:

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Sponsor