• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Wash DC bike commute Oct 2017

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I've bike commuted in the Wash DC area for the last dozen summers. We've had very nice early fall weather this year. Here are a few photos from my commute around town on Oct 5 and 6, 2017.

This will be Audi Field, new stadium in Buzzard Point section of town for the DC United pro team in Major League Soccer.
Copy of DSCN1202.JPG

Nearby, an Eagles fan photo bombed my shot of the Washington Nationals baseball stadium. Nats just split a pair of playoff games with the Cubs here.
Copy of DSCN1206.JPG

This is the Jefferson Memorial getting a little touch-up renovations. I read recently that late rocker Tom Petty was a fan of Jefferson and used to visit here when in town.
Copy of DSCN1208.JPG

View of town from the 14th Street Bridge. The small tower between the Washington Monument and the cyclists is the Old Post Office. Before he was elected Trump's company began converting the bottom of this building into a fancy hotel.
Copy of DSCN1209.JPG

The Potomac River is a busy flight line for planes going in/out of nearby Reagan-National Airport. It is also used by many Crew teams.
Copy of DSCN1215.JPG

This is an elevated boardwalk section of the Mount Vernon trail under the Teddy Roosevelt Bridge across the river near Rosslyn, VA.
Copy of DSCN1219.JPG

Rosslyn, VA; Wash DC has a height limit on buildings for aesthetic reasons, so the taller ones are in Rosslyn and other suburban locations.
Copy of DSCN1223.JPG

Morning view of Potomac River and Georgetown section of DC. Tower under repair in center is part of Washington National Cathedral. They are still fixing/stabilzing the damage that occurred to this structure in an unusually strong local earthquake (mag 5.8) on 8/23/11.
Copy of DSCN1229.JPG

Sunrise with US Capitol, Wash Monument, and Lincoln Memorial, 10/6/17.
Copy of DSCN1233.JPG

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online