• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Pretty sure the flags outside the Warren Miller Lodge at the YSC are at half mast today. He was involved there since the very beginning, and loved the place. A huge personality. I met him once, at a sailboat regatta in New England. He loved the water as much as the snow.

It's all water, right? :)

I started skiing in the early 90s and I always made a point to go see his movies. Back then, they featured his funny commentary, they featured in-bounds skiing (at least some of it), the usual beginners falling over, etc. Those movies were great and they definitely got me ready for ski season.

On the other hand, the modern ski movie with cliff hucks and heli-only terrain, etc... doesn't do anything for me. So yeah, I have fond memories of watching Warren's work. There aren't many people who can say they single-handedly started an entire industry.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
https://www.seattletimes.com/sports

Warren A. Miller, the pioneering snow-sports filmmaker whose infectious zeal for the “pure freedom” associated with skiing, snowboarding and other pursuits inspired multiple generations of adventure-seekers around the globe, died Wednesday at his longtime home on Orcas Island. He was 93.
More in the article link.
Services are pending. Memorials may be made to the Warren Miller Performing Arts Center in Big Sky, Mont. But Miller suggested that a fitting memorial, for those able, would be a run down a favorite local slope in his honor. (“If you don’t do it now, you’ll only be a year older when you do.”)
If you don't do it this year, you'll be a year older before you do..

Last edited:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Some nice early photos of WM I plucked off the internet:
warren-miller-skiing_j6poyp.jpg

73c7d2c6-9fbc-11e6-8e25-1a623ee01422-780x938.jpg

Warren-Ward.jpg

Last from a nice article in his own words describing his earliest skibum filmmaking days:

http://skitheworld.com/2014/09/warren-and-ward-baker-and-the-trailer-days/

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
It is a sad day for sure. I remember watching his movies and thinking how good of a skier you would have to be to keep up with the guy skiing and hold a camera to make the film.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
A sad day, but his life is cause to celebrate.

I hereby pledge to enjoy the hell out of life, skiing as much as I (reasonably) can. I can’t take a run for Warren today, but I will take my first run on Saturday in his honor. I may even have a film-clip-worthy wipe out, just for laughs.

avantskier

Booting up
Skier
RIP Warren
"The best place in the world to ski is where you're skiing that day"
"See you next year, same time, same place"

Kite Pilot

Putting on skis
Skier
Sad to hear, I remember him narrating his movies in Denver back in the day.

LegacyGT

Putting on skis
Skier
His movies were included plenty of amazing skiers and beautiful locations. But they were mostly about great times in ski country...the kinds of days we've all had and hope to have more of.

Really want to show my kids his ski lift comedy scene but can't find on youtube with the original narration. If anyone knows where I can find it, please share.

Spinning Wheel

Booting up
Skier
The history and culture of skiing has always been important to me, and Warren Miller was such a huge part of that. Even though there are more modern takes on ski films with better action, I've kept going to "his" movies year after year because that's the ritual of how the season begins. I ordered a bunch of 70s/80s titles from WME the other month since they've been good enough to start putting them out on DVD but I haven't gotten a chance to watch one yet. I think tonight will be a good night for that.

"See you next year, same time, same place"

Would that it were so. RIP.

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
"You want your skis ... go get 'em."

Seeing him personally narrating a ski film in Hermosa Beach, CA will always be one of my favorite memories. A few years later we got to chat with him at at "Ski Dazzle" in Los Angeles. He suggested that we expand our horizons by taking a ski trip to Australia/New Zealand. We took his advice a year later and had a great time.

There never has been and never will be anyone like him. RIP.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm pretty sure WM is responsible for me being a ski addict, and I'm OK with that. Rest in peace, you prince of the snow.

Gettes

Booting up
Skier
So bizarre that on a whim last night my boys and I started watching Line of Descent. I was saying how long it had been since I'd watched a Warren Miller movie and regaling them with tales of how long he had been making ski movies(and how awesome they were). I hadn't heard until my wife told me when she got home tonight.

Imagine if you could quantify the amount of skiers alive today who have seen at least one of his movies, well done my man...well done.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
I've been to every movie since 1977. He was even still narrating them in person for a few of those years. It was a great experience! I even have a friend that got to ski in 2 of his movies. What he did for the ski industry and my skiing travels and aspirations was amazing! He will be missed by so many...

Pick any age you want to be and live that age to its fullest.”

Thank you Warren!

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We just went to see Line of Descent last night. It reminded me of the old WM movies. Loads of fun and segments that you could actually fantasize putting yourself in.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I always loved his commentary, silky non rushed voice, always had hidden humor.

I remember one film in which he referred to the warranty on ones body being age dependent, shortly there after I discovered mine was up. Crashes started hurting in the morning.

Toronto used to have Warren Miller showings at the Royal Alexander Theater, for several years when he released new ski movies.

Sponsor

Staff online