• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Visual Cues of improper alignment

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
When I ski I love to evaluate ski tracks in simple freshly groomed condition on flat simple runs as most go straight or have slight turns to hold speed.

In this you can see how skis are loaded by the tracks they leave. 99% of the time it very quickly give a good view of a technical error or equipment alignment issue. That last less than 1% is a skier that can really glide and can let the ski float for maximum speed. The look here is that they have turned in or out ski, but on closer exam it is a shimmy effect of no edge applied (ideal float).

This all takes practice but it fun to do on so many victims (I mean test subjects) skiing in front of you. The benefit once you learn and understand self examination leads to great improvement be it technical or equipment.

For me this is the biggest “tell” that somethings wrong and where to start looking next.

john petersen

working through minutia to find the big picture!
Instructor
I like that, Bornto.....

there are many factors, for sure....is it a surprise that Phil approaches it from the feet up?..... I do too....then take the big picture in mind, tucking away the possibility that it might be equipment in my mind to revisit or use as criteria with assessment.

JP

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I like that, Bornto.....

there are many factors, for sure....is it a surprise that Phil approaches it from the feet up?..... I do too....then take the big picture in mind, tucking away the possibility that it might be equipment in my mind to revisit or use as criteria with assessment.

JP
On the snow, yes. In the shop, from the feet down.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What I forgot to mention (and what I lack) is sound knowledge tweaking a boot to correct the majority of equipment related issues of the equation.

I’ll leave this to @Philpug and a couple of others on this site.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online