• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Virtual Skiing

CrystalRose

Putting on skis
Skier
So I went virtual skiing this weekend and had a blast! The place is called SkyTechSport and I just wanted to recommend it to anyone in the Southern California area. I actually bought a Groupon for it (so keep an eye out for a good deal).

It also had a mini lesson built in because the guy running the machine gives you tips on your body position and form throughout. The guy who was running the place races and I will say that it is more geared toward ski racing but that shouldn't deter you from giving it a try. I really had no interest in racing before this experience, but once they put the gates on the screen and you get the rhythm of it... I can definitely see the appeal.

The machine is really cool because it can stimulate bumps and different snow textures. It also somehow gives you the right amount of tension to push off of under your boots if that make sense.

Because I'm a low level skier it gave me the opportunity to finally get the sensation of what actually getting up on the edges feels like! Without worrying about distractions (people zooming past you) and other obstacles (unpredictable people downhill).

I used muscles I didn't know I had (mostly in the glutes and lower back) and worked up a sweat. Now I'm hoping some sort of muscle memory takes place and I can translate those sensations to the mountain!

Cheers!

*I have no affiliation with this company, just giving my review/opinion.

Because this is the ski school section I will pose a question. How does ski racing technique translate to recreational skiing? I was instructed to keep on the edges of my "skis" throughout the turn and make a quick transition to the next outside ski. Is this carving? It's very different from what I was previously doing which was turning, get back on my bases/coast, then turn again.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There is one of these in Vermont. We had hoped to get there when we were in Stowe for the Hall of Fame Ceremonies but just didn't have time.

rcc55125

Getting on the lift
Skier
In the Minneapolis/St. Paul area we have The Alpine Factory, https://thealpinefactory.com.

I've been there several times. It's great for working on technique and is a great workout in general. Typically you ski for 10 minutes and rest for 10 minutes then repeat to make up a one hour session. How often do you ski a run continuously for 10 minutes without stopping? At my home area it's one minute down then three minutes up.

dlague

Waitin' for Wintah
Skier
So I went virtual skiing this weekend and had a blast! The place is called SkyTechSport and I just wanted to recommend it to anyone in the Southern California area. I actually bought a Groupon for it (so keep an eye out for a good deal).

It also had a mini lesson built in because the guy running the machine gives you tips on your body position and form throughout. The guy who was running the place races and I will say that it is more geared toward ski racing but that shouldn't deter you from giving it a try. I really had no interest in racing before this experience, but once they put the gates on the screen and you get the rhythm of it... I can definitely see the appeal.

The machine is really cool because it can stimulate bumps and different snow textures. It also somehow gives you the right amount of tension to push off of under your boots if that make sense.

Because I'm a low level skier it gave me the opportunity to finally get the sensation of what actually getting up on the edges feels like! Without worrying about distractions (people zooming past you) and other obstacles (unpredictable people downhill).

I used muscles I didn't know I had (mostly in the glutes and lower back) and worked up a sweat. Now I'm hoping some sort of muscle memory takes place and I can translate those sensations to the mountain!

Cheers!

*I have no affiliation with this company, just giving my review/opinion.

Because this is the ski school section I will pose a question. How does ski racing technique translate to recreational skiing? I was instructed to keep on the edges of my "skis" throughout the turn and make a quick transition to the next outside ski. Is this carving? It's very different from what I was previously doing which was turning, get back on my bases/coast, then turn again.

Wow those are not cheap! I requested the catalog and the lowest priced model is like $22,900 and go as high as $55K

TS
CrystalRose

CrystalRose

Putting on skis
Skier
Mountain High here in Socal also has virtual skiing that is more of the carpet version here. Has anyone used one? I wonder if the sensation is close to real skiing...

Wow those are not cheap! I requested the catalog and the lowest priced model is like $22,900 and go as high as $55K

Yeah it is way to large to be in a regular person's home. Only people I can imagine buying it would be the super rich. Though, I can also see it used at gyms and at actual ski resorts.

Last edited:

john petersen

working through minutia to find the big picture!
Instructor
That must have been a hoot!....very cool!

JP

Sponsor