• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Vinyl

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, I too miss my turntable, a Bang & Olufsen Beogram 3000, the sound it put out through my Sony ES amp and Polk 10B's was so warm. I had a nice collection of ablums with a few Mobile Fidelity Half Speed Master Recordings. What I also miss was listening to whole albums, there was a certain flow from song to song that in many cases told a story. The third thing I miss, is album art, Roger Dean's work on the Yes ablums, The Rolling Stones and Elton John used to have really cool artwork.

And don't forget liner notes.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
JeffB, when you are ready to take a step up in sonic quality, search for a Harmon Kardon receiver of the same vintage as the Pioneer that you currently have. I also recommend Celestion speakers from the same era

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
JeffB, when you are ready to take a step up in sonic quality, search for a Harmon Kardon receiver of the same vintage as the Pioneer that you currently have. I also recommend Celestion speakers from the same era

I would go with vintage Marantz. You can't beat the Marantz sound. Units from the 22xx series especially.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I would go with vintage Marantz. You can't beat the Marantz sound. Units from the 22xx series especially.
The old Marantz stuff was indeed real sweet. I had said a Sony ES, i switched to that when my system was evolving to more video than audio (big mistake I know) before that I had an Akai that worked well, Marantz was out of my budget. I did have a Nakamichi Cassette deck though that did it's job making cassettes. A buddy of mine still has his Dragon, it is still quite cool.

TS
JeffB

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
This and about 4 others just like it are available locally - same guy I got the Pioneer from. Also has tons of high quality vintage speakers. When I met the guy he showed off his full collection, which is nothing short of astounding. @bbinder I did realize then and there I was already on the slope and losing traction -

IMG_1393.JPG

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This and about 4 others just like it are available locally - same guy I got the Pioneer from. Also has tons of high quality vintage speakers. When I met the guy he showed off his full collection, which is nothing short of astounding. @bbinder I did realize then and there I was already on the slope and losing traction -

View attachment 29595
I'd say you're losing traction fast, but have no fear I'll help get your head out of the Sand and back on track basking in the thermionic glow ... just ask if he has any Marantz 8B or Model 10 amps that he can sell to you. You can't go wrong with them!

Then see if he has any Quad ESL-57's or Spendor SP 2/3 monitors, or Tannoy Prestige line of Speakers, or Altec 604 drivers, or Lowther PM6A with silver wiring drivers, or ... I could go on but you didn't mention brands:ogcool:

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This thread makes me wish I'd taken the amazing turntable and stack of vinyl when I left Michigan.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The old Marantz stuff was indeed real sweet. I had said a Sony ES, i switched to that when my system was evolving to more video than audio (big mistake I know) before that I had an Akai that worked well, Marantz was out of my budget. I did have a Nakamichi Cassette deck though that did it's job making cassettes. A buddy of mine still has his Dragon, it is still quite cool.
Hey @Philpug don't diss the Sony ES line! I have a old Sony X707ES CDP (cd player) that you couldn't pry from my hands!

And yes indeed Saul B Marantz's old 8B stereo amp and Model 9 monoblock stuff was real sweet!:cool:

:rolleyes:...now where is @Jed Peters to show us his Marantz Project T1 amp?;)

TS
JeffB

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
I'd say you're losing traction fast, but have no fear I'll help get your head out of the Sand and back on track basking in the thermionic glow ... just ask if he has any Marantz 8B or Model 10 amps that he can sell to you. You can't go wrong with them!

Then see if he has any Quad ESL-57's or Spendor SP 2/3 monitors, or Tannoy Prestige line of Speakers, or Altec 604 drivers, or Lowther PM6A with silver wiring drivers, or ... I could go on but you didn't mention brands:ogcool:

He's got some large Advent speakers in mint condition oiled walnut cabinets, re-foamed and perfect with the "fried egg" tweeter. I don't know what all that means, but apparently it's nice?

I bought a set of Lear Seigler/Bogan speakers from him when I got the Pioneer amp and am much happier with that sound for the vinyl. I have some very nice towers with the home theater set up, but to my untrained and barely initiated ear, records sound much better (warmer?) with the older speakers than the new. My Bogans are walnut and still have the original grills in very good condition.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I left a pretty dope Harmon Kardon receiver behind when I moved out of my folks house in Texas. Regardless, without a super high end needle and stylus the high end audio amp, pre amp, GEQ, etc is kind of like skiing great skis in crappy boots..

Also, note the DiscWasher system top right of the shelf.. Yes, still have both fluids in the little bottles!
17457694_1613684838647048_223505304965908512_n.jpg

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I spent the summer of '69 in Connecticut picking shade tobacco for the OJ Thrall Farm, they used to import Florida kids there and we become a captive work force so to speak. Anyway after a summer of degrading manual labor I left with $1200 dollars in my pocket, a huge sum back then, and I spent all of it on the baddest stereo system I could create out of the military Pacex catalog. My brother in law was still in the Army and ordered it all for me.

A Sansui 5000 Stereo Receiver (100 w per channel), Sansui 5 way speakers, two Sony reel to reel tape decks and a Girard turntable. By then I had got my first real job at a cabinet shop so my first "Home Project" was an angled console (flat black Formica) that mounted all the components flush and a clean looking base cabinet for storage underneath. It looked fantastic and sounded better than it looked. Honestly I wish I still had it. The tape decks and the turntable wore out but I had the receiver and the speakers for a long time until some punks broke into the house and carted it all away.

I think I had the best sound system in town and we had a lot of stupid drunken parties to show it off. Good times!

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I had a great stereo that I put together when I was a grad student when our roommate with the stereo moved out. A Technics receiver that I drove clear across the LA basin to get at a great price on close out. (One output channel is burnt out...:nono: I loved that receiver.).

A cassette deck I finally relegated to dead storage ... should have just thrown it out... but it still works!

A Technics belt-drive turntable -- the belt turned to brittle shards at some point. Ridiculously, there were two different models with an identical model number but different belts. The smart thing would have been to just buy both, but I didn't....:nono:. Using giant rubber bands sort-of works, but you get a mind-altering amount of wow. It's sitting non-functional in the attic.

A fantastic pair of store-brand speakers from Pacific Stereo that I picked out by taking a favorite album with me and playing over and over on different options. (A pair of good speakers is a huge investment for a grad student.)

So now I just have a cheap CD player with a built in amp driving those speakers. Ought to upgrade, but sadly I mostly listen to headphones on my phone :nono:.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Have a few unique albums in a collection but only remember these at the moment.
The-J-Geils-Band-LP-Vinyl-Record-Bloodshot.jpg