• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Video of moon rise over flooded Black Rock Desert

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There is some concern about Burning Man 2017 because the Black Rock Desert, where it sets up every year is flooded.
This, however is a gorgeous time lapse of the moon rising over the flooded Black Rock Desert.
Courtesy Joe Childs

Here is another look at the flood and the question about Burning Man

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There is a story about some kind of fish that goes dormant in the desert and comes back to life it the water comes back. @Andy Mink was telling us about it.
Was it a shrimp?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
There is a story about some kind of fish that goes dormant in the desert and comes back to life it the water comes back. @Andy Mink was telling us about it.
Was it a shrimp?
It's a fairy shrimp. The eggs hatch when water is there. Think sea monkeys.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Burning Man isn't until August. That's a lotta hot, dry days away.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@tch the concern here is that there is a ton of prep work that starts a couple months in advance that may be difficult to do, not to mention the prediction for higher than average precipitation. Still, I doubt it will be cancelled, but they will have to change how they set things up.

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The Black Rock is nothing to mess with, even in a good year. I've been out there on a dry year, middle of summer, 100°+ temps and watched a truck get stuck in the mud. It was dry on the top but there was a little dip and the soil beneath was a weird goo. It looked dry until the tires started to turn, then turned to liquid. If it's not all dry and hard, 75,000 people can really damage the resource.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The Black Rock is nothing to mess with, even in a good year. I've been out there on a dry year, middle of summer, 100°+ temps and watched a truck get stuck in the mud. It was dry on the top but there was a little dip and the soil beneath was a weird goo. It looked dry until the tires started to turn, then turned to liquid. If it's not all dry and hard, 75,000 people can really damage the resource.

Hmm Might be a good year to get the towing/recovery franchise...:)

OTOH, the dust might not be such a problem this year..

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Sponsor