• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England Vail Buys Stowe Mountain Resort (updated Title)

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Re "me too" pass pricing - I'm not sure I get the logic of how cheaper passes across the board mean longer lift lines. I guess it is in the conversion of casual skiers to passholders and subsequent increase in visits as the marginal cost per visit is reduced considerably (plus the supposed driver of extracting "value" from the pass). But all that is net good for the sport and less money spent on tickets + more available to spend on F&B, kit etc.

Plus it strikes me that the sums are done on a false assumption that day rates are somehow a fair repesentation of value - one only has to look at Vail to know that's not really the case unless you are a very gregarious high roller. If you translate a $800 pass at $50/day that is 16 days - a reasonable target for the average "better than casual" skier to try to achieve. I don't pluck the $50 from thin air - it's roughly or above the ticket rate that Euro mega ski areas survive on (without the revenue from catering and lodging in most instances).

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Yeah, my email has been blowing up today with various updates from Stowe, Vail and the Epic pass people.

It looks like the Epic "unlimited" pass includes unlimited Stowe days for a "whole lot cheaper" than the Stowe-only pass used to be. I'm still very curious to see what this will do to Stowe crowds next season now that Stowe skiing has gotten more affordable.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, maybe all those Stowe-based unlimited Epic Pass holders just mosey on over to Whistler, along with everyone else using their unlimited Epic Pass. Might be hearing more of that quaint New England accent, in a sea of Aussie and New Zealand accents.

Or can you not get to they-ar from he-ar?

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If it weren't for the $150 kids' season rental/pass combo we would have never bothered renting in Twin Mountain, going to Bretton Woods, our friends wouldn't have rented the $9,000 stopeside condo, countless bloody marys, couple nights a year at the hotel, half our town is there on the long weekend. All because of the cheap passes.

SkiEssentials

Slashing Turns and Prices
SkiTalk Sponsor
Well, maybe all those Stowe-based unlimited Epic Pass holders just mosey on over to Whistler, along with everyone else using their unlimited Epic Pass. Might be hearing more of that quaint New England accent, in a sea of Aussie and New Zealand accents.

Or can you not get to they-ar from he-ar?

Oh we can very much get they-ah from he-ah. Quick drive to Montreal and it's not even an international flight!

We just can't get to central Maine from he-ah, that's impossible.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Have they stormed the beach yet?
GF and I Just stormed the beach yesterday............ OMG ........... too good to pass up and may be heading to Park City in Feb for 10 days.............. then again ........... I can do Stowe Thurs and Fridays......... most likely will be back at Bretton Woods on the weekends.............. hmmm will be interesting to see if the crowds go "Euro" on us!

Sponsor

Staff online