• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Using Radio to Teach and Learn

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Last season, my first teaching, I started putting together a radio system for teaching. Haven't used it yet. Not sure how to start, and if I should. The idea that got me started was I wanted to play music to which the whole group would ski to. No, not synchro skiing, but to use the mind and body's ability to convert music to motion. So, here's the setup I assembled.

iPod nanos
Short range radio transmitter
Headset microphone
associated cables
Headphones for the student(s). Not earbuds for situational awareness reasons.

All mobile phones can act as a radio receiver. But, w the iPod nanos, I can control maximum volume, for situational awareness reasons. I would have the students use those, not their phones. Also, the short range transmitter can be set to both US and Japan and EU bandwidths. The iPod nano can also be set for one or another. So, it's even possible, using Japan when here in the US, to not interfere with a local signal.

So, what do you think about

1. Using radio and music to facilitate learning, in a lesson?
2. Using radio to speak to students when they are farther from you? Or, if you are a student, having the instructor speak to you from afar?

The season is coming upon us fast. So, I'd love to get some thoughts on this and some ideas on how to start, with a small group or with a private.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
When I sing, I keep it very much to myself.

Anyway, I know that music is used in spin classes and the such. It must provide some benefit. Yet, despite having pulled together the hardware, I feel very inhibited trying it out on clients. I kinda wish it was possible to try it on volunteers in a controlled "study".

I also know that ski instructors aren't spin class instructors.

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
I'd find the music distracting.

Radioed instructions to the group might be OK. I would not want to hear individualized instructions to another skier. The TV add with the brokerage salesman and the woman golfer..."that instruction was never meant for you," makes a good point.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve used radios to guide blind skiers. My concern with piping in music to students is that they might loose audio awareness of what is going on around them. I like students to listen to the sound of their skis on the snow and be aware of others around them by the sound of the skis or boards moving around them.

For me skiing involves all the senses. (Taste comes in during that digger with your mouth open.) I try to get my students focused in on all the senses as they ski.

HDSkiing

You’re Sliding On-Snow; Don’t Over-Think it!
Skier
Last season, my first teaching, I started putting together a radio system for teaching. Haven't used it yet. Not sure how to start, and if I should. The idea that got me started was I wanted to play music to which the whole group would ski to. No, not synchro skiing, but to use the mind and body's ability to convert music to motion. So, here's the setup I assembled.

iPod nanos
Short range radio transmitter
Headset microphone
associated cables

All mobile phones can act as a radio receiver. But, w the iPod nanos, I can control maximum volume, for situational awareness reasons. I would have the students use those, not their phones. Also, the short range transmitter can be set to both US and Japan and EU bandwidths. The iPod nano can also be set for one or another. So, it's even possible, using Japan when here in the US, to not interfere with a local signal.

2. Using radio to speak to students when they are farther from you? Or, if you are a student, having the instructor speak to you from afar?

The season is coming upon us fast. So, I'd love to get some thoughts on this and some ideas on how to start, with a small group or with a private.

Sounds like an interesting setup and way above my technical understanding.

Seems like there could be some application, I just can’t really think of one...maybe in a one on one, but in a group lesson just trying to get all the headphones passed out, set up, tested etc would eat into valuable teaching time which the students are paying dearly for. Then there is the confusion of who is talking to who. I have a pretty good memory and I go to great pains to learn every students name but by the afternoon I frequently jumble like names (Jessica & Jeanette, Mark & Matt etc) talking to them over the radio would only further my (and their confusion) in that regard.

Then there is the efficacy of trying to tell beginner/intermediates (the bulk of ski school students) to do something over the radio like flex more when by the time the message registers they should be extending.

On the plus side it would save my vocal chords from having to scream at teenage boys who only want to ski at Mach 1 and view turning as inconvenient...

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Isn't that backwards?

I would think headphones block out surrounding sounds significantly, therefore interfere with situation awareness much worse than earbuds.

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
I would think headphones block out surrounding sounds significantly,

Sorry I didn't mean studio headphones. I meant the ones that under into certain helmet ear flaps. I hope to experiment with it this season

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
Seems like there could be some application, I just can’t really think of one...maybe in a one on one, but in a group lesson just trying to get all the headphones passed out, set up, tested etc would eat into valuable teaching time which the students are paying dearly for. Then there is the confusion of who is talking to who. I have a pretty good memory and I go to great pains to learn every students name but by the afternoon I frequently jumble like names (Jessica & Jeanette, Mark & Matt etc) talking to them over the radio would only further my (and their confusion) in that regard.

I can think of several good applications:

Teaching in proximity to snow guns (assuming a good noise cancelling mic)
Talking to students 100 feet + away while they attempt your requested flash of brilliance
Talking while skiing right behind someone, feedback in the moment.

I like the idea if it's easily worn and reliable. And you'd need your own discreet channel.

BlueSquare

Booting up
Skier
I can think of several good applications:

Teaching in proximity to snow guns (assuming a good noise cancelling mic)
Talking to students 100 feet + away while they attempt your requested flash of brilliance
Talking while skiing right behind someone, feedback in the moment.

I like the idea if it's easily worn and reliable. And you'd need your own discreet channel.

I got some Sena SnowTalk first and foremost for safety reasons. Last winter, my 10yo daughter almost went down a different trail when she couldn't see her brother or me in a sudden, heavy whiteout on Blackcomb. I vowed to get some type of communication device after that harrowing experience.

With that aside, I could also see myself using it as an instruction device with her. By following right behind her, I could provide feedback in the moment as you suggest, that's IF she wanted input from dad :\

I think the ideal case is use during 1-on-1 private instruction. I'd be very receptive to getting instant 1 or 2 key reminders while I'm performing drills or skiing instead of waiting to get at the bottom of a run for the instructor's feedback. Also, if he/she chooses, an instructor can videotape and advise me at the same time. So I think it can enhance the learning experience on snow with an instructor more than detract, should an instructor incorporate it into his/her training methods in a very thoughtful manner.

Btw, the SnowTalk is a very simple, convenient device that goes in a helmet's ear flap, but I think Sena has discontinued the item unfortunately. Can't find on their website anymore.
https://www.amazon.com/Sena-SNOWTALK-10L-Snowtalk-Long-Range-Bluetooth/dp/B019XJ2420

Would be cool if they came out with a Snow Helmet like their new X1 cycling helmets.
https://www.sena.com/product/x1/

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Sorry I didn't mean studio headphones. I meant the ones that under into certain helmet ear flaps. I hope to experiment with it this season
Any helmets? Or only helmets that has the special ear flaps?

john petersen

working through minutia to find the big picture!
Instructor
I ask students to pick their favorite songs and play them in their heads as they ski...they can choose to "play the music" at any speed...you can have fun imagining the music going very fast (old school 78rpm) or like the chipmunks all sped up....or very slowwwwwwwwwwly.....and play around with it.

JP

DavidSkis

Thinking snow
Skier
Last season, my first teaching, I started putting together a radio system for teaching. Haven't used it yet. Not sure how to start, and if I should. The idea that got me started was I wanted to play music to which the whole group would ski to. No, not synchro skiing, but to use the mind and body's ability to convert music to motion.

I'm all for informed uses of technology. In this particular case:

Your must make a compelling case for using music - beyond "to use the mind and body's ability to convert music to motion". This isn't actually a thing. Spinning classes/gyms play music because they are boring closed environments where participants suffer from downtime and need entertainment. Your learners, on the other hand, are in an active, open environment.

Over-ear headphones will not be compatible with helmets. On crowded hills, audio cues above are important, and headphones will reduce your perception of the environment.

Learners do not want you yelling at them while skiing. Every learner I've ever commented to while skiing towards me has always stopped and said "What?" The only shouting-at-learners that works is to say "Yes!", or to use a pre-agreed upon cue (e.g. "Now!" when drilling when trying to get a skier to get off their edges earlier in the arc). It works better to just not shout at them but rather to show a video of their performance.

Your musically-dictated turn shape often won't work when your athletes are on variable terrain. If it's getting steeper, I'm shortening my turns up. If it's flattening out, I'll stretch them. I don't think your tempo's going to match well.

And I probably won't like your music, just like you probably won't like mine (unless you're into Rush, Kansas, Chainsmokers, Marco Mengoni, Ke$ha, Cranberries... yeah).

One way to use a radio is to set it up at the top of the course, stand at the bottom, confer with your skier/give them their their tactic or tip by radio, then when they get to the bottom, give them feedback. This way you can run dozens of athletes through at once.

My recommendation: before adding a bunch of gimmicks to your teaching, just work on becoming an awesome instructor. Then add a video camera. That will pay way bigger dividends!

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Interesting as I have recently been researching playing music that multiple headset wearers can listen too. Note the solution below is not like a walky-talky as only one person will be able to have the audio source so could be implemented so by a single ski instructor.

Somewhat difficult to locate product because there is already a strong market for inside vehicle use by using Bluetooth on smartphones with a vehicle's FM radio that tends to overwhelm web searching. Such products plug into a vehicle's 12v accessory sockets ie cigarette lighter sockets with weak FM transmission levels as distances are short within vehicles. They also allow incoming phone calls but that will inhibit other audio.

Bluetooth products outside a vehicle have always been difficult because that technology uses individual transmit/receive channels. Splitting a single audio source into multiple streams is awkward so such products tend to be limited to just one split as with some stereo speakers. I own two Bose Colorlink's and setting Bluetooth up for stereo use is somewhat involved. Additionally Bluetooth has a limited range, usually less than 30 feet. Thus the dominant products now use an FM radio transmission below FCC transmission levels so as not to interfere with commercial FM radio transmissions.

On Amazon search with "long range FM Transmitter". I bought this product that have not yet received for $39 that will reach several hundred feet and note there are several more expensive products:

https://www.amazon.com/FU-T300-Portable-Transmitter-Adjustable-Braodcasting/dp/B07425BXYH/ref=sr_1_9

Of course there have been numerous discussions among skiers and in this Internet era on web boards about issues listening to music while skiing. Some skiers have issues running into others without music so anything making that situation worse won't help. On the other hand their are many that can do so safely just like most of us can eat food while safely driving our cars.

The notion of using over the head headphones won't fly because of helmets so it must be earplugs unless a skier has a built-in helmet headphone. Note I installed custom headphones taken from Sennheiser PX-100 II speakers into my Smith Giro Brim that as a Classic Rock fan can crank volume up on. My usual personal input has always been that I only tend to play music infrequently while skiing and usually only while cruising groomers or bouncing down fresh powder. However on my first two days skiing this young season have been surprised how I have been able to rip down at least small to moderate bumps smoothly with music playing.

Beyond this ski instruction thread, could set up a skiing group so that one person that has the fm transmitter plays a track everyone agrees to, while everyone else tunes into the chosen FM frequency on their smartphone fm radio app. And that could be fun especially on a fresh powder day as everyone starts out on an open unblemished slope.

David

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Beyond this ski instruction thread, could set up a skiing group so that one person that has the fm transmitter plays a track everyone agrees to, while everyone else tunes into the chosen FM frequency on their smartphone fm radio app. And that could be fun especially on a fryone starts out on an open unblemished slope.

Or, with friends, make some awesome synchro skiing videos,

Even a video skiing solo to a rhythm would be cool.